Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:05 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Those universities already have a tradition of academic excellence. I saw your reply to me earlier, but it was a couple days ago so I didn't reply.
There are many K-12 religious affiliated private schools that have a tradition of excellence, as well.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:09 PM

792 posts, read 634,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
There are many K-12 religious affiliated private schools that have a tradition of excellence, as well.
Okay, I don't deny that. If we were to institute a voucher program, then schools should have to meet certain academic standards to qualify for vouchers.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:16 PM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Okay, I don't deny that. If we were to institute a voucher program, then schools should have to meet certain academic standards to qualify for vouchers.
I think that's prudent. Louisiana is removing private schools from their voucher list if they fail to perform adequately. Makes total sense to me. We don't want kids escaping from their public schools that aren't adequately educating them only to have them go to a bad private one.

Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
There are several that I have read on that give the state tests.
The students actually do better on the public school state tests in these charter schools than the public schools themselves.

There's one in Texas where the passing rate is over 85% and no they are not all White middle class students.
This school gets them from the Title 1 public schools all around them.

How can a charter do better with the same kids that the public schools say are at risk as a reason for their failings ?

This school:
86% of all 8th grade students passed the 8th grade STAAR (Texas standardized tests)
Student/teacher ratio is 10:1

http://www.thebrazosschool.org/index.html

Old 07-28-2014, 01:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not a safe bet anymore. Schools are so pc now that they'll let any student take an honors or AP class, even those who aren't academically prepared for the rigor.

More schools opening Advanced Placement courses to all students - Los Angeles Times
Yup with predictable results, I came across this post this weekend.

http://www.catalyst-chicago.org/note...ls-test-taking
Quote:
The district even won an award from the College Board in 2011 for its progress between 2008 and 2010: increasing the number of students taking AP classes, improving minority students’ pass rates by 2 percentage points, and increasing the number of minority students passing AP tests by 718 students over the course of two years.

But in one crucial way, the district’s effort has fallen short. Despite all-around improvement, the district has seen a widening disparity in pass rates between minority and white students.

White students’ pass rates have risen by 21 percentage points, to 66 percent.

Latino students’ pass rates have increased by 7 percentage points, to 36 percent.

African-American students’ pass rates are stagnant at 14 percent, compared to 16 percent in 2000.

In spring 2012, a mere 2 percent of all African-American high school students and 6 percent of all Latinos passed an AP test, compared with 18 percent of all white students. At 17 mostly minority high schools, not a single student passed any AP test.

Old 07-28-2014, 03:08 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Is any of that important? How about simply getting the black student body to 80 or 90% reading at a reasonable level. Then we can start worrying about AP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies