Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 06:55 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Jefferson saw the country as a nation of small family farmers. That was his ideal America, funny, because he did little farming in his life himself.

Anyway, he couldn't for see the industrial revolution, the rise of electricity, and the general modern world that we live in. I think it would have changed some of his opinions. Mainly, as things get automated, we'll have to take from those who earn to care for those who don't earn as much. Part of the governments job is to ensure domestic tranquility, and programs to help the poor secure that tranquility.

As far as his view of religion, and large government being a threat, his views are still relevant to a point. He warned of large standing militarys and the military industrial complex, long before Eisenhower ever did. He felt that the constitution should be stuck to, and to have a strict adherence to the wording within it, which makes it ironic that he was the first President to overstep the bounds of the Constitution and agree to buy the French land west of the Mississippi. The main reason he did it was to try and secure his "small farmer" vision of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 07:08 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Personally, I couldn't disagree with Jefferson more on the subject of Christianity.

However, I like to keep those quotes close for when my Evangelical friends start filling my inbox with all that "America is a Christian nation," and "The founding fathers intended America to be Christian" nonesense.

When I shoot those quotes back at them, it sort of ends the conversation.
Like in my reply to the original poster, all the words are needed, not just some carefully selected passages. Which ones are 100% correct, somewhat incorrect or completely fabricated at some point after his death can and should be researched before repeating.

Here is my favorite from him on the topic........

"I must ever believe that religion substantially good which produces an honest life, and we have been authorized by One whom you and I equally respect, to judge of the tree by its fruit. Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine; nor is it given to us in this life to know whether your or mine, our friends or our foes, are exactly the right."

Thomas Jefferson in a letter to Myles King 1814

Old 12-01-2010, 07:09 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,442,508 times
For the Time Span we are talking about, Brillant Man, with such astute Wisdom. His Message is one that here in 2010 we can hede today, and think of the meaning behind his message.

Whether you agree with Jefferson or not, for his time period, he was a Man of Wisdom, and spoke words so true, even today, we can look at so much of what he has said, and relate to it. You do not have to agree with all that he said, but so much of what he said, we can relate to.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:14 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php

Old 12-01-2010, 07:15 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,461,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Like in my reply to the original poster, all the words are needed, not just some carefully selected passages. Which ones are 100% correct, somewhat incorrect or completely fabricated at some point after his death can and should be researched before repeating.

Here is my favorite from him on the topic........

"I must ever believe that religion substantially good which produces an honest life, and we have been authorized by One whom you and I equally respect, to judge of the tree by its fruit. Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine; nor is it given to us in this life to know whether your or mine, our friends or our foes, are exactly the right."

The Life and Morals of Jesus of ... - Google Books

Old 12-02-2010, 03:56 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,528,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Our particular principles of religion are a subject of accountability to our God alone. I inquire after no man's, and trouble none with mine; nor is it given to us in this life to know whether your or mine, our friends or our foes, are exactly the right."

How I wish my Evangelical friends could adopt such an attitude!

Old 12-02-2010, 04:01 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
His anti-christian rantings make me like him more, not less.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:10 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,654 times
Clever man that old Thomas was. We don't make politicians as we used to, do we? I wish I had a time machine and could gather at least half of intellect and just plain wisdom from the founding days folks like the good old Jefferson, instead of the arseholes we've got at the Capitol now.

Old 12-16-2010, 08:40 PM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,334 times
Default "Great Wisdom" ... for those who would but listen !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
John F. Kennedy once held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe.
Thomas Jefferson

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world.
Thomas Jefferson

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
Thomas Jefferson

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.
Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:
I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive
the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered.

Redrover !!! ... BRAVO !

Precisely ... President Jefferson An Actual "Towering Intellectual" from the great American historical past !!!

When compared to the sheer genius of the historical Thomas Jefferson those dopey "Pseudo Intellectuals" of today are simply pathetic "Pea Brains" !

Thomas Jefferson ... Now theres a tremendous example of a proud, intelligent and successful American who accomplished great things for his country !

Sounds like the type of famous historical American todays school children should be learning a great deal about instead of some of the worthless PC garbage that is designed to discredit the many outstanding "Nation Builders" and "Heroes" and their tremendous work for the development of a successful America !!!

Perhaps someday very soon the "Patriotic" American Citizens of this great nation shall regain control of the engines of education and once again our school children may learn about true American Heroes for a change instead of a bunch of bull sheeeeeet which doesn't amount to a hill of beans in todays continually "Dumbed Down Schools" !

So Mote It Be ! Thanks Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-16-2010, 08:51 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,927,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Well, he said those things and was instrumental in founding our country based on his ideas, so old Thomas is good in my book. He wasn't perfect I am sure, no one is.

Was he the ONLY Founding Father? Do you realize he was not part of the writing of the US Constitution. Might want to do some reading on Madison, Adams, Washington, Hamilton, etc. And by the way, Patrick Henry at the end of his life became a Federalist.

And I hope you realize that in Philadelphia in 1776, they debated and debated, and asked him to write down and put into words what they discussed. He didn't come up with the Declaration on his own. No way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies