Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times

Advertisements

I hear the word used as a pejorative by many. The fact is that the word has changed meaning over time. Most people who call themselves liberal today are more than likely in the social liberal definition and not a classical liberal.

I don't normally like to post to wikipedia, but this is a good summary.
Social liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am fairly conservative on a lot of issues, but I can't see how in the world....based on the actual definition of a social liberal, that it could be used as an insult. I am absolutely fine with someone calling me a liberal.

I don't believe I am very liberal with respect to being tolerant of those who I believe are idiots who believe that theirs is the only way. I am not very tolerant of ignorance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 02:51 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,325,406 times
I routinely use the term liberal, but not in a disparaging way. More as a descriptor. I typically disagree with liberals and those of the liberal mindset, but that doesn't mean that I am lodging an insult by calling someone a liberal.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:52 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,812,128 times
The liberal motto is “In Government We Trust, and another one is "The US should be more like Europe!"

Old 12-01-2010, 02:54 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
What is a Liberal? Enlightened.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:56 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
The liberal motto is “In Government We Trust, and another one is "The US should be more like Europe!"

I'm a "liberal" and don't believe either one of these things.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:01 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,946,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post

I don't know anyone that believes those two statements.

Old 12-01-2010, 03:03 PM

184 posts, read 142,154 times
Most people who think ahead of their time are liberals - like Aristotle, Galileo and Da Vinci. Unfortunately liberals are generally outnumbered by backward thinking conservatives and persecuted for their "herecy".

Old 12-01-2010, 03:08 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,988 times
Kirdik.....your preconceived notions & ideas of what a 'liberal' is are not only wrong but, will prevent you from ever seeing any other side to an issue but your own.

I am a liberal & I find that to be very sad for you.

waiting for the bashing to begin...........

Old 12-01-2010, 03:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I hear the word used as a pejorative by many. The fact is that the word has changed meaning over time. Most people who call themselves liberal today are more than likely in the social liberal definition and not a classical liberal.

I don't normally like to post to wikipedia, but this is a good summary.
Social liberalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am fairly conservative on a lot of issues, but I can't see how in the world....based on the actual definition of a social liberal, that it could be used as an insult. I am absolutely fine with someone calling me a liberal.

I don't believe I am very liberal with respect to being tolerant of those who I believe are idiots who believe that theirs is the only way. I am not very tolerant of ignorance.
Well, social conservatives certainly would view social liberals as wrong and use the term "liberal" as a pejorative. The best dictionary definition of "liberal" as applied to a social liberal is: "open-minded or tolerant, especially free of or not bound by traditional or conventional ideas, values, etc."

Someone who binds his or her sense of security and morality to tradition, authority, and conventional values is threatened by a social liberal.

If you wanna get a great debate (or fight) going in a mixed room of social liberals and social conservatives, ask this question: Should you teach your children to respect or question authority?

Liberal | Define Liberal at Dictionary.com

Old 12-01-2010, 03:10 PM

243 posts, read 274,842 times
Liberal means to me leftist. It also means hypocrit because I've heard the word tolarance used over and over by them and I've seen nothing but complete intolarance from them. I could list it all but why bother one of them will just post under me with just a smart*** one line response that means nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies