Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:28 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,346,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Hispanic is an ethnicity.

Shhhhh....keep that quiet

It will blow their whole racism argument with regard to illegal immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:45 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,329,966 times
"Hispanic" is a term invented by the Nixon administration covering anyone from Spain, Central America or South America. It is not a pleasing term to many people from these countries.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:49 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
The word Hispanic comes from the Hispania region. When the Roman Empire ruled over the Iberian Peninsula (modern day Spain and Portugal) they called it Hispania. The term Hispanic wasn't officially used by the US government until the 1970's. Before that Hispanics were called "Spanish-Americans". In its most broad sense, Hispanic simply means people of either Spanish or Portuguese decent including the people of the American countries they colonized.

It's a pretty nebulous term used differently depending on the region and often just the person. It's more of a general language-centered, cultural classification than anything.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:54 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
The overwhelming majority of Hispanics consider themselves caucasian if you twist their arms hard enough. Some Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Panamanians, Venezuelans, Cubans, etc, would beg to differ. But i doubt that it would be anymore than a quarter of the total Hispanic population at large who wouldn't consider themselves white.

The Hispanic thing is pretty nebulous. Still though, that's been my argument about whites becoming a minority in the coming decades. It's nonsense. The Hispanic community, through intermarriage will become thoroughly caucasian after a few generations.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:01 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
The US Census treats race and ethnicity separately.
The Census uses 'Hispanic' to denote people with origins in Spain and Latin America.
Approximately 1/2 of Hispanics in the US are classified as White.
Right. I am half Cuban and half regular ol' American (a mutt, basically). I am white. My culture is that of a white American person. But my ethnicity is partly Hispanic due to my father's side of the family. However, I was not raised by my biological father and do not know much of the culture or history of Cuba.

There is a major difference between race, culture and ethnicity.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
In its most broad sense, Hispanic simply means people of either Spanish or Portuguese decent including the people of the American countries they colonized.
The proper term of Brazilians and Portuguese are "Lusitanics." I am of Portuguese background (half), my father is from Portugal. Had he been from Spain, a couple hundred miles east of where he was born, I would have no student loans right now, because I'd have qualified for Hispanic minority scholarships! Imagine that, lol!

Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
The overwhelming majority of Hispanics consider themselves caucasian if you twist their arms hard enough. Some Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Panamanians, Venezuelans, Cubans, etc, would beg to differ.
The Mexicans in America by and large would most aptly be described as Mestizos. Most Dominicans, Mulattos. Cubans in Miami, mostly white, but Cuban representation on the actual island is mostly mixed and black. Argentinians, almost universally white. Peruvians, almost all straight up Indian or Mestizo.

Latin America is very diverse as a region. I actually never understood why being a "Hispanic" entitled someone automatically to the "minority" status? ETHNIC minority, MAYBE (MAYBE, cause some Hispanics trace their lineage right back to Europe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter
The Hispanic thing is pretty nebulous. Still though, that's been my argument about whites becoming a minority in the coming decades. It's nonsense. The Hispanic community, through intermarriage will become thoroughly caucasian after a few generations.
I think it will be more common for "white people" in America to look more like Mediterranean white people 200 years from now than the Scotch-Irish/German "white people" appearance today, and for black people to also change typical phenotypically.

Some hispanic cultural groups as a whole are more open to intermarriage than others.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The proper term of Brazilians and Portuguese are "Lusitanics." I am of Portuguese background (half), my father is from Portugal. Had he been from Spain, a couple hundred miles east of where he was born, I would have no student loans right now, because I'd have qualified for Hispanic minority scholarships! Imagine that, lol!
Like I said - in it's most general sense. I also said it's a very nebulous term used differently by different people.

Whether people of Portuguese decent or people from Brazil are Hispanic is not a cut-and-dry matter. I've met Brazilians in the US who consider themselves Hispanic and Brazilians who don't.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 PM

To further that point (confusion about Portuguese decent and Hispanic), not even the US Federal Government can agree.

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race" whereas the U.S. Department of Transportation defines Hispanic as "persons of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, Dominican, Central or South American, or others Spanish or Portuguese culture or origin, regardless of race."

Old 12-02-2010, 12:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
With Hispanics, people will usually just classify them based on the eyebal test....if a person looks as if they have a mixed racial heritage (ie a mestizo or mulatto look ) they will be classified by people who see them as "Hispanic". If they look "White" they are classified as White or if they look "Black" they will be classified as "Black".

I know quite a few "Hispanics" who have African ancestry (light brown to very dark) some of them didn't realize that they were "Black" until they stepped onto American soil because Americans tend to use the "One Drop Rule" of determining "Blackness".

I also know quite a few Hispanics who no one would ever know that they had any ancestry other than European. Some of them proudly embrace their diverse heritage while others want to only be considered "White".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies