Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where do you stand on the concept of man made global warming?
I believe that man made global warming is real. 24 23.53%
I believe that our planet cycles through cooling and warming periods naturally. 67 65.69%
Some of both 11 10.78%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 12:31 PM

20,454 posts, read 12,369,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Sorry, no people with French names will survive
LOL! you know me too well!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 01:04 PM

565 posts, read 485,602 times
Quote:
Especially those with spelling mistakes

Old 12-03-2010, 01:05 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,331 times
Quote:
LOL! Good thing my name is German.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:26 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,724,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J'aimeDesVilles View Post
LOL! Good thing my name is German.
Was, deiner auch? Scheiß-Teutonen, dieses Gesindel ist einfach überall

Imagine if humans were decimated to 500k relative to their current populations, there would be for instance (numbers for big countries rounded):

93,000 Chinese
85,000 Indians
23,000 Americans
17,000 Indonesians
14,000 Brazilians
11,000 Nigerians
6,000 Germans
4,700 French
2,500 Canadians
785 Portuguese
250 Uruguayans
2 from Monaco
and 0 from the Vatican

Last edited by Neuling; 12-03-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 12-03-2010, 02:23 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,583,218 times
The science is overwhelmingly in favor of global warming being a very real problem. The anti GW crowd grabs hold of some truly specious arguments to try and cling to their positions on this (things like "well, it snowed in Texas!" or "these scientists exchanged emails which, if we twist and contort what they're saying enough, can be interpreted as saying they're fudging data!")

It's a natural human instinct to resist the idea that we've done something. Nobody ever wants to take blame for actions, and the reality is individually none of us has done much. As an ever-growing collective, however, we are placing things into what was already a very delicate ecosystem that are throwing things out of balance. And while a degree or two may not seem like much, for something like Earth that maintains such a precarious balance, it has huge effects.

That being said, the world won't end during my lifetime, so I don't really care.

Old 12-03-2010, 02:31 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,925,108 times
Global Warming is a FACT, if someone wants to ignore the facts and stick their head in the sand that is their problem. Is man responsible? From the science it looks as if we are gong through a phase where the planet is natually warming but at the same time it is happening very fast and THAT is most likely our influence. Common sense says that since we have already had effect on the land and on the seas of the world there is no reason to believe we have not had an effect on on the climate. The point is we are doing many things the wrong way when it comes to the planet so why not change our ways and leave our children and their children a clean place to live, one where not only man and his pets and fod have place to live? Give me a reason why we should not do it right? Oh, don't mention jobs as a reason, it isn't one.
Casper

Old 12-03-2010, 09:03 PM

15,045 posts, read 8,616,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Global Warming is a FACT, if someone wants to ignore the facts and stick their head in the sand that is their problem. Is man responsible? From the science it looks as if we are gong through a phase where the planet is natually warming but at the same time it is happening very fast and THAT is most likely our influence. Common sense says that since we have already had effect on the land and on the seas of the world there is no reason to believe we have not had an effect on on the climate. The point is we are doing many things the wrong way when it comes to the planet so why not change our ways and leave our children and their children a clean place to live, one where not only man and his pets and fod have place to live? Give me a reason why we should not do it right? Oh, don't mention jobs as a reason, it isn't one.
Casper
Actually, the data shows a cooling period for the past 10-15 years, so hows that stack up with your FACTS ?

F O S.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:05 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
The science is overwhelmingly in favor of global warming being a very real problem. The anti GW crowd grabs hold of some truly specious arguments to try and cling to their positions on this (things like "well, it snowed in Texas!" or "these scientists exchanged emails which, if we twist and contort what they're saying enough, can be interpreted as saying they're fudging data!")

It's a natural human instinct to resist the idea that we've done something. Nobody ever wants to take blame for actions, and the reality is individually none of us has done much. As an ever-growing collective, however, we are placing things into what was already a very delicate ecosystem that are throwing things out of balance. And while a degree or two may not seem like much, for something like Earth that maintains such a precarious balance, it has huge effects.

That being said, the world won't end during my lifetime, so I don't really care.
Looks like the Al Gore film really did a number on you. Global warming may indeed be a real phenomena, but the only "specious arguments" come from the man made crowd. Their are plenty of scientists who know that the man made theory is bunk, but their voices are lost in the midst of all the catastrophe hysteria. Never under estimate the stupidity of people in large crowds.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:10 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,548,079 times
Well, so far 45 to 14 against the man made theory. I'm happy to see that the alarmist propaganda of the enviro-whackos is failing to take hold.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:39 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,504,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
Well, so far 45 to 14 against the man made theory. I'm happy to see that the alarmist propaganda of the enviro-whackos is failing to take hold.
Never underestimate the stupidity of Americans.

Just when you think they cannot get any dumber, they get dumber.

Science is not part of the American mindset. Rightwing propaganda, on the other hand, is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies