Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2010, 09:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times

Advertisements

Christmas is 1 day per year. December 25th. Before and after that are several holidays in which people gather with family and spend time with them.

Say Merry Christmas on December 25th, the rest of the time its happy holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 09:43 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
I respectfully disagree. For Christians, "Merry Christmas" is perfectly appropriate until Epiphany commences in early January.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I respectfully disagree. For Christians, "Merry Christmas" is perfectly appropriate until Epiphany commences in early January.
Why?

Old 12-05-2010, 09:48 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,240,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Happy Holidays, River Edge.
Merry Christmas, "chimp"

Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Well, let's see. I'm 17 years older than you, lived in three states, traveled in 47, never been over seas, and I've heard Happy Holidays all my life from all walks of life including a few Muslims.
That would be Have A Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays that you have heard and you are lying if you say it's not!

Old 12-05-2010, 10:07 AM

Memphis, because in the Christian liturgical tradition, Christmas is a season extending to Epiphany, which will fall on Jan 6, 2011. Epiphany is the shortest season of the Christian year and the time when we celebrate the visit of the "Three Kings" to the infant Jesus.

Are you familiar with the Christmas song "The Twelve Days os Christmas" and the hymn "We Three Kings?" Now, you know the story.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Memphis, because in the Christian liturgical tradition, Christmas is a season extending to Epiphany, which will fall on Jan 6, 2011. Epiphany is the shortest season of the Christian year and the time when we celebrate the visit of the "Three Kings" to the infant Jesus.

Are you familiar with the Christmas song "The Twelve Days os Christmas" and the hymn "We Three Kings?" Now, you know the story.
Yep, but Christmas day is still on December 25th. Not the 24th, not the 26th, but the 25th.

Christmas day was put on December 25th by a Catholic church trying to copy the pagan celebration of the winters solstice.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:20 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,592,650 times
Quote:
Ya, definitely - I hear folks saying Merry Christmas after Christmas day, too - it's the Christmas Season, not just the day. It's probably a lot less typical to hear it after the 25th, but I live in a pretty Catholic city so we hear it more than most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
That would be Have A Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays that you have heard and you are lying if you say it's not!
Whoa simmer down there. She didn't say she didn't also hear Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah or other greetings. She was just saying that she has heard Happy Holidays since before it was PC. That was my take on it anyway.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Memphis, I'm not so sheltered as to be unfamiliar with the merging of pagan and Christian celebratory practices, noting that the winter solstice actually falls several days prior to Christmas.

All I'm trying to say is that Christian liturgical tradition recognizes Christmas as a season. For this reason, it is perfectly appropriate for Christians to wish each other a "Merry Christmas!" for the twelve days following December 25th.

But, more to the issue, count me in as a Christian who doesn't see the point of arguing over holiday greetings. Say whatever you wish in the spirit of the season.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Ya, definitely - I hear folks saying Merry Christmas after Christmas day, too - it's the Christmas Season, not just the day. It's probably a lot less typical to hear it after the 25th, but I live in a pretty Catholic city so we hear it more than most.

Whoa simmer down there. She didn't say she didn't also hear Merry Christmas or Happy Chanukah or other greetings. She was just saying that she has heard Happy Holidays since before it was PC. That was my take on it anyway.
"Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV
Well, let's see. I'm 17 years older than you, lived in three states, traveled in 47, never been over seas, and I've heard Happy Holidays all my life from all walks of life including a few Muslims."

My take on it is in what she wrote.....nothing about Merry Christmas in there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies