Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 09:52 AM

293 posts, read 570,370 times

Advertisements

WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate on Saturday defeated two attempts by Democrats to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for the middle classes permanently, in rare weekend votes that likely had little effect on wider negotiations to reach a compromise on how to extend the tax cuts.
The Senate voted 53-36 to reject an attempt to initiate debate in the chamber on a measure that would have extended lower tax rates for individuals who earn less than $200,000 and couples earning less than $250,000.

Senate Defeats Democrat Attempt To Extend Middle-Class Tax Cuts - WSJ.com

...thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 09:56 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Jones 1999 View Post
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. Senate on Saturday defeated two attempts by Democrats to extend the Bush-era tax cuts for the middle classes permanently, in rare weekend votes that likely had little effect on wider negotiations to reach a compromise on how to extend the tax cuts.
The Senate voted 53-36 to reject an attempt to initiate debate in the chamber on a measure that would have extended lower tax rates for individuals who earn less than $200,000 and couples earning less than $250,000.

Senate Defeats Democrat Attempt To Extend Middle-Class Tax Cuts - WSJ.com

...thoughts?
If the Dems had any guts- which they don't- they would simply pass the thing for people under $250K and go home. Leave it to the Republicans to make the choice on raising taxes on everybody or just the rich. But the Dems have no courage so they will blink as they always do.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:13 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
I love the propaganda...$200K cutoff and the Repubs are "defenders of millionaires".
I dunno..but my math skills tell me that 200,000 is not the same as 1,000,000 or 1,000,000,000

Maybe Congress shouldn't have gone on a spending binge these past two years. They certainly didn't seem to worry about "huge deficits" as they passed all those spending bills.
I could respect them if they at least stuck to their story but I have no respect for hypocrites.

GOP block Democratic tax plans on upper-incomes - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101204/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tax_cuts - broken link)
"Do we want to extend those tax breaks for millionaires and billionaires at a time of huge deficits. I would argue vociferously we shouldn't," said Sen. Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., shortly before the votes."

Old 12-04-2010, 10:16 AM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
Schumer's proposal raised the cutoff to $1million. Also defeated.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:22 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj185 View Post
Schumer's proposal raised the cutoff to $1million. Also defeated.
Sure did, the dems tried to be the bigger people reaching far across the isle with an alternate bill extending tax cuts to all making under a million a year, the right rejected it. This ladies and gentlemen is case in point the republicans don't give a damn about anyone except their big business millionaire and billionaire cronies.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:23 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
If the Dems had any guts- which they don't- they would simply pass the thing for people under $250K and go home. Leave it to the Republicans to make the choice on raising taxes on everybody or just the rich. But the Dems have no courage so they will blink as they always do.
And that is the main problem with dems. They don't have a backbone to attack the repugs.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Sure did, the dems tried to be the bigger people reaching far across the isle with an alternate bill extending tax cuts to all making under a million a year, the right rejected it. This ladies and gentlemen is case in point the republicans don't give a damn about anyone except their big business millionaire and billionaire cronies.
That I would have agreed with. That IS compromise..the give and take of politics so that both sides can live with the outcome.

I'm just in 100% disagreement of declaring $200K/$250K folks "millionaires" because they are not.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:27 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,806,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And that is the main problem with dems. They don't have a backbone to attack the repugs.
I agree the dems have been being complete pushovers to the right, but besides 4 traitors, every democrat voted in favor for the 250K and under plan in the senate. Though even if those 4 voted in favor, the dems still don't have the votes to pass it. They have to get republican votes or nothing is going to pass. Right now it's going to be in Obama's court to fold and kick the can for a few years, or do the right thing and just say to hell with it and let the tax cuts expire for everyone.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Should either pass or expire for everyone. Why should one group of people pay the debt ro social programs for others? That is like going to a nice restaurant and asking someone at the next table to pick up the tab....no class, or moral.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
I agree the dems have been being complete pushovers to the right, but besides 4 traitors, every democrat voted in favor for the 250K and under plan in the senate. Though even if those 4 voted in favor, the dems still don't have the votes to pass it. They have to get republican votes or nothing is going to pass. Right now it's going to be in Obama's court to fold and kick the can for a few years, or do the right thing and just say to hell with it and let the tax cuts expire for everyone.
Yup..I agree. Let them expire across the board and feel the pain.
Then it will be up to Obama and his administration to craft a new set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies