Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:53 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You know what ... I don't care if someone displays an Xmas tree ... or a Menora or any other religious symbol. It really doesn't bother me, it doesn't offend me and I don't feel threatened by it. If it gives some pleasure to others then why not. It is called tolerance.
Thank you Jaggy001..a voice of reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:54 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,499,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A Christmas tree is NOT a religious symbol and Santa is non-denominational.
The nativity scene IS the traditional religious Christmas symbol for Christians.
Only in America can people hate something that represents us all. Christmas has all the symbols of most every one's belief but a small minority of those who don't believe in anything still whine and want it all taken down.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Correct, and Jehovah's witness have also registered their offense about public displays of Christmas trees and easter egg hunts on county property. The point should be about being respectful to all, but not to allow others the right to eliminate traditions held by individuals or groups.
What do they have against the Easter Bunny ?

Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
A decorated tree offends people? What next? A bell or star? I wish people would get a grip. Members of Chase should speak up and say they want a tree. Bet there are more who want it.
I don't think Muslims like bells that much.

Old 12-04-2010, 03:59 PM

1,728 posts, read 4,725,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Only in America can people hate something that represents us all. Christmas has all the symbols of most every one's belief but a small minority of those who don't believe in anything still whine and want it all taken down.
You are assuming everyone is either a) Christian, or b) subscribing to your view of things.

Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, agnostics all do not believe what you do.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:08 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,775,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
You know what ... I don't care if someone displays an Xmas tree ... or a Menora or any other religious symbol. It really doesn't bother me, it doesn't offend me and I don't feel threatened by it. If it gives some pleasure to others then why not. It is called tolerance.
Agreed. Tolerance is a 2 way street though and I don't think most Christians realize how far out of their way others have gone to respect their rights. I have never seen a band of jewish protesters complaining that Christians have a tree, but I have seen Christians take offense at a mennorah and also kwanza being displayed. Most atheists I know are rather glad to see people being a little kinder to one another inspired by the true meaning of the season, and frown hard at those running over little old ladies in the parking lot to be first in line for a Christmas present. I join them in that frown.

Employers are very generous offering extra pay for Christmas, and Christmas bonuses, but nothing in the law should compel them by force to do it. We could just be grateful they do and leave it at that, or we can make swiss cheese of the calendar obliging them to dole out holiday pay for every obscure holiday known to every religion in the world. Today is St John Damascus day for Catholics. The outside world does not have to support it, they support it themselves as it should be.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post
You are assuming everyone is either a) Christian, or b) subscribing to your view of things.

Jews, Hindus, Muslims, Buddhists, atheists, agnostics all do not believe what you do.
So why would they get offended if those that do celebrate Christmas put up decorations ? To them it's no different than Halloween decorations or Thanksgiving decorations or Easter decorations.

That's what we do in America..celebrate holidays by putting up decorations.
Why can't they be tolerant of those that want to celebrate ?
It's not like the tree will attack them or prevent them from doing their normal activities and no one is forcing them to stop and admire the trees.
So what is it they don't like about seeing a holiday (any holiday) decoration..non denominational of course being publicly displayed ?

I'm just waiting til July 4 and hear that someone is offended by seeing the US Flag being displayed by so many.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:11 PM

28 posts, read 15,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown85 View Post

So if someone doesn't believe in the meaning of a tree, that means they shouldn't see it? And to think all along I thought the left were greenies.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 PM

28 posts, read 15,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So why would they get offended if those that do celebrate Christmas put up decorations ? To them it's no different than Halloween decorations or Thanksgiving decorations or Easter decorations.

That's what we do in America..celebrate holidays by putting up decorations.
Why can't they be tolerant of those that want to celebrate ?
It's not like the tree will attack them or prevent them from doing their normal activities and no one is forcing them to stop and admire the trees.
So what is it they don't like about seeing a holiday (any holiday) decoration..non denominational of course being publicly displayed ?

I'm just waiting til July 4 and hear that someone is offended by seeing the US Flag being displayed by so many.
A guy in Austria just the other day was fined for yodeling because it offended his mooslem neighbor. It's not far behind from reaching our shores, just like the next batch of illegal, knuckle-dragging Muslims from some godforsaken country in the mideast.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:14 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,035,430 times
I do not view a Christmas tree as a religious symbol............a nativity scene yes, the tree, no.

I view Christmas, Chistmas trees or decorations, Santa Clause, etc. as a fun, happy, holiday tradition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies