Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Rich and Poor.....what divides us ?
Railroad tracks? A fence with a guarded gate?

And ignorance of one about the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2010, 03:32 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,253,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
Sorry, the rich/poor thing has been with us a lot longer than P-BO
It has been around a very long time but I have never seen it used as hard as they have used it. Of course, I am only an old man who failed to see all of that crap way back there.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:30 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't resent rich people at all...especially those with old money.

The folks that get on my nerves are these new money idiots that you see running around everywhere. You know the type...they've somehow come into some money or they have a pretty good job that pays in the low six figures and start preening around like they're doing something big and bragging about how much money they make. They make ostentatious "i've arrived" purchases and denigrate other people who haven't attained their level of success. They're much worse after they've lost their ability to empathize with people. You hear it..."there are plenty of jobs out there if people would just look!" Or the "why should i pay more taxes for people who won't work" line that's become popular in the last 30 years.

Worse are those who pretend to have more money than what they have. They're all over City Data.

I guess what divides us most often is education moreso than anything else.
Yes, what I find amusing is people with no money or education who run out and buy a new Hummer when they work at a minimum job like Lowes (my ex used to be a regional manager of these people) and they vote right bcs they hope to someday be one of the richest 1% in America.

People with old or new money with class dont need to talk about it.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:32 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,740,213 times
The way the political system has been set up & runs is what divides us.

Old 12-04-2010, 04:40 PM

28 posts, read 15,535 times
Certainly, not always, but often, it's intelligence.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:02 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modeerf View Post
The more gov't regulation, the more difficult to be an entrepreneur, which allows the established businesses to gobble up the small start ups, or to squash them before they start.

Global trade has gutted the American spirit and consolidated the wealth into the hands of the few.

America Competes against each other, rather than for each other.

One way there is always a loser, the other way, everyone succeeds.
I tend to agree with this statement, but on the subject of gov't regulation I'll spell it out more specifically. I believe government regulation has a nasty habit of defending all the wrong things for all the wrong reasons but is packaged as public good in policy. Hence, crony capitalism has maximum traction & all others are burdened supporting "IT" trying to tread water themselves.

Unregulated capitalism fosters a wild wild west business climate that encourages monopoly & negative competition. I don't like having a competitor, I'll burn down his store. Gov't regulations & policy are needed to provide stable basis for business to thrive & protect the rights of all people on either side of a business contract. Things get too lopsided in favor of either, business fails to thrive, customers are mistrustful etc etc.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:09 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
In the past decade the rich have stolen half of the economy and are now spending our money in China and India, while we are left to pick up the pieces. They have left us with a third world economy.
There is no set amount of wealth in our economy.

Attitude, hard work and education make all the difference. I don't mean a college education.

Learn to do something, learn to do it well, and do it better that everyone else. Those traits will make you wealthy.

Old 12-04-2010, 05:26 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Attitude, hard work and education make all the difference. I don't mean a college education. .
The best insurance policy you can get against being poor is a college education.

I'm sure you know a guy with a third grade education who is a millionaire, but your anecdote does not make a trend. The fact is the average graduate makes a million dollars more over his/her lifetime than someone who didn't go to college.

Attitude and hard work are important, and you certainly can succeed without a college education. However, don't underestimate the value of a college education simply because you have some beef about the perceived 'liberal' leaning of most universities.

More misguided anti-intellectualism from the right...

Old 12-04-2010, 05:39 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The best insurance policy you can get against being poor is a college education.

I'm sure you know a guy with a third grade education who is a millionaire, but your anecdote does not make a trend. The fact is the average graduate makes a million dollars more over his/her lifetime than someone who didn't go to college.

Attitude and hard work are important, and you certainly can succeed without a college education. However, don't underestimate the value of a college education simply because you have some beef about the perceived 'liberal' leaning of most universities.

More misguided anti-intellectualism from the right...
I'm not against hard work, intellectuals, higher education, wealthy people earning honestly, or poor people choosing a life of poverty. My definition of America and freedom have to do with choices that we embrace & fully own. In light of this financial debacle that's held the planet hostage, I think you can agree that people who have done all the right things shouldn't be the ones caught up in the gears of someone else's machine.

Whole other industries, and whole other nations, have been grievously harmed by shennanigans happening in the financial sector. They need to be accountable for themselves and reap consequences born on themselves the way any other individual or industry would be held accountable for their mess. Oil companies are held responsible, and so should financial institutions. The attitude that companies or corporations are exempt from the laws applied only to citizens harms the faith of people in their government. Too big to fail means too big to exist.

Old 12-04-2010, 06:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
There is no set amount of wealth in our economy.

Attitude, hard work and education make all the difference. I don't mean a college education.

Learn to do something, learn to do it well, and do it better that everyone else. Those traits will make you wealthy.
Maybe in Lollipop Land, but here in the real world rich parasites steal 40 cents of every dollar we earn and send it overseas where, at least for now, they can exploit the poor there.

I think the French knew how to handle an irresponsible Aristocracy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies