Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 08:34 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes, for people who know the IP address for the site, it works, for people who are using DNS resolution they get a big fat - SORRY!
I don't know the IP, that site is the first one when googling Wikileaks.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:55 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I don't know the IP, that site is the first one when googling Wikileaks.
When you place your mouse pointer over your link, look at the status bar, instead of a URL like (www.wikileaks.com), you get http:\\numbers.numbers.numbers.numbers. those numbers are called an IP address. If you have an Ip address, you do not nead a URL. The ip address is what us unix people used to use to telnet to internet sites before there was a world wide web and graphic interfaces.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:57 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Yes, for people who know the IP address for the site, it works, for people who are using DNS resolution they get a big fat - SORRY!
People could just google 'wikileaks' and try the links....it wasn't THAT difficult.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:12 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
People could just google 'wikileaks' and try the links....it wasn't THAT difficult.
That was what I meant, I don't have to KNOW the IP address just to access that site. I am quite aware of what an IP address ist...

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
Quote:
Really? At home, my computer's IP isn't spoofed, but you don't know what it is. Since I am on a router that provided NAT, MY machine IP isn't what YOU see.

MANY people on PPPoE networks are on private networks, and you don't have THEIR ip's either, just the router that provides their NAT.

Are you sure you're in IT? As I read more and more responses posted by you the comments get even more ludicrous.

As an IT professional with over 20 years experience I will have to say that reading some of your replies has been entertaining.
NAT isn't meant for "hiding" IP's. That's a translation meant to reduce the total number of public IP's necessary. Geez, even a complete newbie to tech knows that. The point of NAT isn't to provide any sort of security, it's to make it so you don't need 6 public addresses if you've got 2 laptops, 2 desktops, and 2 video game systems connected to the Internet (using a home example). Christ, I outlined it like twice in this thread already, and still you miss it? Your only defense in this case is if you completely misunderstood what that other guy was talking about when he was trying to describe a spoofed IP. I think the only thing you have 20 years experience with is picking up a term or two every time you have to call Help Desk because you boned your system at work.

I'm not sure which one I find more amusing at this point: This little gem you provided, or the claim that you're a "member" of "the black hats", which isn't a group at all...and when called on it, you tried claiming that you meant the security conferences, which is also not membership based or a group, but rather simply a series of events. Oh wait I know....you're an event planner for the conference organizers, and you picked up an acronym here or there while trying not to fall asleep during the actual speeches themselves after you did your part by getting the curtains put up and handing out the brochures.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:44 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
81,000 valid hits for my new anonymous customer.
"anonymous"?

So you're all for full disclosure when it suits you? You should be ashamed of yourself, as you now have blood on your hands.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:52 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
"anonymous"?

So you're all for full disclosure when it suits you? You should be ashamed of yourself, as you now have blood on your hands.
Do you vote?

Then so do you.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:04 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Do you vote?

Then so do you.
weak. that's a cop-out.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:07 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
weak. that's a cop-out.
I find it rather . . . inclusionary.

The Big Tent.

Old 12-08-2010, 12:21 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,166,596 times
Default Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
NAT isn't meant for "hiding" IP's. That's a translation meant to reduce the total number of public IP's necessary. Geez, even a complete newbie to tech knows that. The point of NAT isn't to provide any sort of security, it's to make it so you don't need 6 public addresses if you've got 2 laptops, 2 desktops, and 2 video game systems connected to the Internet (using a home example). Christ, I outlined it like twice in this thread already, and still you miss it? Your only defense in this case is if you completely misunderstood what that other guy was talking about when he was trying to describe a spoofed IP. I think the only thing you have 20 years experience with is picking up a term or two every time you have to call Help Desk because you boned your system at work.

I'm not sure which one I find more amusing at this point: This little gem you provided, or the claim that you're a "member" of "the black hats", which isn't a group at all...and when called on it, you tried claiming that you meant the security conferences, which is also not membership based or a group, but rather simply a series of events. Oh wait I know....you're an event planner for the conference organizers, and you picked up an acronym here or there while trying not to fall asleep during the actual speeches themselves after you did your part by getting the curtains put up and handing out the brochures.
Again, you show your lack of knowledge. It provides for BOTH, reduced use of public IP addresses, and it is used to provide computer security. In certain cases the use of port forwarding forwards requests or access to specific computers based on ports, while denying open access to a "public ip", and in other cases, it completely hides computers because by using nat, an outside computer cannot initiate communication with the translated address, again unless there is some type of port forwarding to facilitate it.

Next, I am the help desk. I designed computer security protocols for the Navy, for C2 secure systems while I was on active duty, was in charge of networks for almost 100 financial institutions, and I designed several ISP's still in operation, and still to this day, have never suffered a successful attack, or data loss. Yes Virginia, I also ensured all data was backed up to an multiple off site facilities so that recovery time would be minimal.

Lastly, I have been an attendee off and on since 1997, of the Black Hat Conference, and there are those of us who go all the way back to the founding days, and call ourselves black hats. You may not like it that you are not a part of our little fraternity, but that's ok, we may invite you for some comic relief.

It because of people like ourselves, and people like Steve Gibson that we have firewalls that block unknown OUTBOUND connections on computers in addition to inbound connections. It's because of people like us that these connections are not just blocked, but also blackholed so that the other computer doesn't even know it was blocked and can act accordingly on that information, but that there is no response whatsoever so that they don't know that they even reached something.

Last edited by Darkatt; 12-08-2010 at 12:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies