Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

10,876 posts, read 13,763,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
Compromise seems to mean the further in the hole we go. The compromise puts us more and more into debt. Gridlock would be the best possible thing at this point. quit compromising.
No doubt. The dems were the bigger people offering a massive compromise with tax cuts for everyone making under a million and the right still refused. Obama needs to stand his ground and just let the tax breaks end completely.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:53 AM

57,022 posts, read 35,014,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
People like you need to understand that the only reason you have Democrats in a lot of districts (the ones with the blue dogs) is because those are districts that have never and will never subscribe to extreme left philosophies. The Democratic party trotted the Blue Dogs out in these districts because that was the only way they were going to claim a seat. Personally I'm very grateful for the Blue Dogs, because for as inept as the Democrats have been in the 4 years they've been in power, and for all the bad legislation they've passed, the Blue Dogs have prevented it from being much worse.

This most recent issue (the tax cuts) is yet another example of it, seeing as how populists like yourselves seem to feel that you're entitled to keep your tax cuts, but those of us who are more successful should not be able to keep ours. Why? Because you want us to pay your way for you.
First of all, i'm not against Blue Dog Dems. I said that too many of them pride themselves on being Republican-light.

Number two, i don't even know what the hell you mean by "extreme left" philosophies. Just about everywhere in this country sits in the middle of the political spectrum overall. LOL....i mean, really, some of us on here know EXACTLY which areas of the country are sucking off of the government teet far moreso than others, and hint: it aint the "blue states."

Number three, i didn't say that i was a populist...you did. Don't even know where the hell you got that from. I've been on record as saying that NO TAX CUTS SHOULD BE EXTENDED...including the ones for folks like me. In fact, i said as much on my earlier post right here on this thread.

And for you last comment...get bent..really. LOL @ "those of us who are more successful," as if you know how successful i am. I can see that you're really into self-flattery. I guess that just because you say so, i'm supposed to assume that you're some big success. Please. You're a stiff just like the rest of us.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:54 AM

22,230 posts, read 17,786,426 times
Quote:
On the contrary, the Republicans have simply stated that if the middle class gets extended, so does the upper class. Fair is fair.

On the issue of unemployment, these tax cuts have never been specifically tied to extensions. All the Democrats ever had to do was cut spending in other areas to make extending the UI benefits cost-neutral, and it would have sialed through the house. But, like with most things the Democrats touch, they preferred to instead turn it into a political football and let the benefits expire.
The Bush Tax cuts were originally, and continue, to be predominantly for the wealthy upper 2%. Better than 60% of the tax relief from the cuts, goes directly to that 2%. So no, I do not think allowing to expire for the upper 2% is being unfair. The UE question, basically boils down to, the Dems believing the Country has an emergency need to help these people, the Repubs could care less, as long as they and their buddies, get paid off.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:55 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,659,805 times
Quote:
This most recent issue (the tax cuts) is yet another example of it, seeing as how populists like yourselves seem to feel that you're entitled to keep your tax cuts, but those of us who are more successful should not be able to keep ours. Why? Because you want us to pay your way for you.

That's a small price to pay for not being stood up against walls or given tumbrill rides to the guillotine.

The lack of a party fighting in the interests of the working class and the deserving poor is leading to declining living standards and eventually to social unrest of a very dangerous type; when intelligent and hard working people (many of whom are armed to the teeth) get radically and violently left wing guys like you will be in trouble. And all you have to do to forestall this is give up a little; afterall even if the rich were taxed more than now they'd still be rich.

Your greed and lack of love for your country and your countrymen will give you big problems.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:56 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,905,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
No doubt. The dems were the bigger people offering a massive compromise with tax cuts for everyone making under a million and the right still refused. Obama needs to stand his ground and just let the tax breaks end completely.
I don't believe this has been voted on as of yet. We can still contact our representatives and ask that they not agree to this. I am calling mine; however, he is a neo-con Republican.

We can only hope that Obama will veto.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,569,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
That's a small price to pay for not being stood up against walls or given tumbrill rides to the guillotine.

The lack of a party fighting in the interests of the working class and the deserving poor is leading to declining living standards and eventually to social unrest of a very dangerous type; when intelligent and hard working people (many of whom are armed to the teeth) get radically and violently left wing guys like you will be in trouble. And all you have to do to forestall this is give up a little; afterall even if the rich were taxed more than now they'd still be rich.

Your greed and lack of love for your country and your countrymen will give you big problems.
The "deserving poor"? The bottom 50% of this country pays nothing, and most of that 50% actually gets paid to be here. I pay more than 50 cents of every dollar I make to some form of tax or another, far more than any other bracket. And still people like you who feel you're entitled to the fruits of someone else's labor demand more.

It's quite telling that people like you always go to the well of "you should pay these taxes, because if you don't we're going to get angry and violent and come hurt you in some way". How quickly you become little more than a common savage when told that you can't have someone else's toy.

And then of course the obligatory "you're heartless and don't love America if you aren't willing to give it all of your money". Way to close out the cliche.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:02 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,813,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I don't believe this has been voted on as of yet. We can still contact our representatives and ask that they not agree to this. I am calling mine; however, he is a neo-con Republican.

We can only hope that Obama will veto.
Yeah cause how dare someone be able to keep the money they earned

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,526,809 times
Bascailly Obama's problems are that he had a massive number of special liberal groups in the TARP and the stimulus and ended up with failures in policies. He shouold have listened to Clinton i mi=oving tot eh center to govern. Now he has spent a fortune and has liitle to show for it other than special interest gropupos now facing a end to the funding and benig unhappy.He has loss most independent support and much of the party center.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:07 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,350,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Once again, the Dems display absolutely no backbone. And they wonder why they got stomped in the mid-terms.

Maybe if they actually stood for themselves once in a while instead of always giving up without a fight, people would respect them more.

Senators say deal likely on extending tax cuts, jobless benefits - CNN.com

Even if they did have a backbone, there is only an estimated 20% of the public that is that far left. 40% that are really far right, with the rest free thinking Americans that can see for themselves without drinking the red or blue kool-aide.

State redistricting will silence that 20% for a little bit, unless they get violent.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:12 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,905,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Yeah cause how dare someone be able to keep the money they earned
This debate is so old. We have a progressive tax system...deal with it. The only question is how much should each economic class pay. It sounds as though you are asking for no taxes at all. Good luck with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies