Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:14 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,614,552 times

Advertisements

Nowhere in the constitution does it say I can't dump arsenic and mercury into the local river from my gold mining operations! Go fishing somewhere else and drink bottled water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 12:17 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,614,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Does everyone remember what happened to the native population of what would become the US when the Europeans arrived? They died from all of the illnesses that were introduced into America. We really don't want to do a perfect job of protecting ourselves from bugs. They just get stronger and we will loose the ability to fight off the illnesses.
Just wash your dishes once a month. That'll build up your immunity to salmonella. whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:19 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,266,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Big banks are good. Big corporations are even better, Big oil makes my mouth drool, but big ag Is BAAAAAAAAAAD
It's hard to think about Big Oil, when the Government and Big Ag have you by your rutabagas.

Last edited by ergohead; 12-06-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM

4,156 posts, read 10,983,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again, these contradictory threads simply leave me totally confused.

Considering the fact that one of the problems with the recent out breaks of wide spread food contamination was that the FDA wasn't anywhere near our food, it gives me pause to understand how keeping them away from our food constitutes a problem since Big and Small Ag have been wildly successful already.

I guess the problem here is that people seem to assume that the FDA is here to help. I think the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Let me clarify as I think there is some confusion:

The legislation does not address what some experts suspect is the source of E. coli contamination: the large, confined animal feeding operations that are breeding grounds for E. coli and are regulated by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, not the FDA.

Since then, there have been dozens of contamination cases, leading Congress to rewrite food safety laws by giving much more power to the FDA. (SB 510)

“It does not take on the industrial animal industry and the abuses going on,” said Tom Willey of T&D Willey Farms in Madera, an organic grower of Mediterranean vegetables. “The really dangerous organisms we’re dealing with out here, and trying to protect our produce and other foodstuffs from, are coming out the rear end of domestic animals.”
No one in Congress or the administration has yielded in a bureaucratic turf battle between the Department of Agriculture, which regulates meat, poultry and eggs, and the FDA, which regulates all other food.
The controversy began with the spinach E. coli outbreak near San Juan Bautista in 2006 that left four people dead, 35 people with acute kidney failure and 103 hospitalized. The bacteria, known as E. coli O157:H7, first appeared in hamburger meat in the early 1980s and migrated to produce, mainly lettuce and other leafy greens that are cut, mixed and bagged for the convenience of shoppers.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:29 PM

14,880 posts, read 8,495,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Once again, these contradictory threads simply leave me totally confused.

Considering the fact that one of the problems with the recent out breaks of wide spread food contamination was that the FDA wasn't anywhere near our food, it gives me pause to understand how keeping them away from our food constitutes a problem since Big and Small Ag have been wildly successful already.
You're confused about a lot of things, and in spite of my efforts to help you, this condition persists because of your insistence on remaining in this make believe world where government corruption and wrong doing doesn't exist. This is the source of your confusion .... and it looks pretty hopeless at this stage, because NOWHERE is government corruption more obvious, nor the evidence more damning, than the decades of FDA complicity with transnational pharmaceutical companies, and their tag team assault (not protection) of the public health.

However confused, you certainly are consistent, and I don't believe it is an accident either. No one could be this wrong about so many things in absence of some element of self interests being at play.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-07-2010 at 05:18 AM.. Reason: discuss the topic, not other posters

Old 12-06-2010, 12:31 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,293,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Just wash your dishes once a month. That'll build up your immunity to salmonella. whatever happened to personal responsibility?
Excellent!

Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM

52,212 posts, read 33,980,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Big banks are good. Big corporations are even better, Big oil makes my mouth drool, but big ag Is BAAAAAAAAAAD
'Big ag' is not involved in this story.
But good try anyway

Old 12-06-2010, 12:33 PM

On a different note I'm totally confused by Bella's rather nonsensical claim that the Food and Drug Administration shouldn't be monitoring the food supply to insure it is safe for human consumption. That's the FDA's primary job.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'Big ag' is not involved in this story.
HAHAHA! You actually do believe that, don't you? Yeah, big ag isn't involved in our food distribution system. Tell me another one.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,080,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
On a different note I'm totally confused by Bella's rather nonsensical claim that the Food and Drug Administration shouldn't be monitoring the food supply to insure it is safe for human consumption. That's the FDA's primary job.
You don't understand. After enough people die from food-bourne illness the MARKET will take care of the problem. People won't buy food from that company any more-- being afraid for their lives and all. The company will go out of business and people will now buy from the safe unregulated food sources.

No government interferein' or regulation needed!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies