Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 08:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Since I havent see the bill yet, and I usually hold off on commenting about the actual bill until I see it, maybe someone can answer a question.

Did the Democrats just cave and give the Republicans what they've been asking for, over the past year, or was there some type of happy medium met in the middle?

And since I believe they probably caved, why didnt they just pass the bill a month ago when they had no opposition and why the facad that they cared when clearly they didnt if they caved in so easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
If you privatize Social Security... You mean turn it into a giant hedge fund?... What happens to your money when the market crashes?...
The SS money was never in danger of being lost. The SS funds privatized will be invested in the same manner Social Security administration invests money.. Government guaranteed investment mechanisms.. If you disagree with private individuals investing in the government, then maybe you should call for the abolishing of the Social Security completely..

Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 PM

5,346 posts, read 4,046,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The SS money was never in danger of being lost. The SS funds privatized will be invested in the same manner Social Security administration invests money.. Government guaranteed investment mechanisms.. If you disagree with private individuals investing in the government, then maybe you should call for the abolishing of the Social Security completely..
Government guaranteed investments?... You didn't answer the question... If Social Security is privatized... What happens when the market crashes?... More bailouts?...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Government guaranteed investments?... You didn't answer the question... If Social Security is privatized... What happens when the market crashes?... More bailouts?...
I did answer the question, you avoided the response as usual..

Yes, government guaranteed investment, THE SAME THINGS THEY CURRENTLY INVEST IN..

Did Social Security crash with the market crash? NO.. So why dont you stop repeating what you heard from other liberals and start to understand that the plan to privatize social security allowed people to invest in things like government bonds, cd's, etc.. things GUARANTEED BY THE GOVERNMENT, again the VERY THINGS Social Security NOW invests in...

I invest my retirement money in government leased buildings. Do you think the government will default on their leases? If you think they will then there is no reason to think they wont default on Social Security.. They have AAA credit rating, and since my debt is being paid down, I'm in a much better position than anyone sitting back relying upon Social Security...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:25 PM

Quote:
I did answer the question, you avoided the response as usual..

Yes, government guaranteed investment, THE SAME THINGS THEY CURRENTLY INVEST IN..

Did Social Security crash with the market crash? NO.. So why dont you stop repeating what you heard from other liberals and start to understand that the plan to privatize social security allowed people to invest in things like government bonds, cd's, etc.. things GUARANTEED BY THE GOVERNMENT, again the VERY THINGS Social Security NOW invests in...

I invest my retirement money in government leased buildings. Do you think the government will default on their leases? If you think they will then there is no reason to think they wont default on Social Security.. They have AAA credit rating, and since my debt is being paid down, I'm in a much better position than anyone sitting back relying upon Social Security...
Jibberish... you make no sense... Social Security didn't crash with the market because it wasn't privatized... If it was privatized it would have crashed along with the market...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:26 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
You have to really wander if the democrats will blame Bush .They basically had the ball but cloudn't quite fumbling.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Jibberish... you make no sense... Social Security didn't crash with the market because it wasn't privatized... If it was privatized it would have crashed along with the market...
No you are ignoring reality.. Social Security funds, if you were allowed to keep it and invest it in things like government bonds, bank cd's, which are ALL guaranteed by the government, you would still have every dime you invested even when the market crashes.. I didnt say crap about investing it in the market.. Do you understand the market is just one small fraction of the amount of investing which goes on in this nation? I'm currently working on a limited partnership land trust agreement at the moment with the tenant of the US Forestry Service, and they have no cancellation clause, its a GUARANTEED rate of return of 8%.. Thats the investors rate of return. My rate of return will be over 100% since its very little down, and in 15 years I'll have a $3M property free and clear (if I buy the property).. $3M sure beats anything I'll ever get from Social Security, and thats ONE deal...

And again, since the lease is a governmental lease.. ITS a GUARANTEED rate of return far greater than any SS "theft" of money..

Remind me again how much of your Social Security is guaranteed?

Lets not even discuss the rate of return someone gets if they DIE early and compare that to the market (if one was to invest in the market).. A 50% drop in the market still beats a 100% forfeiture of assets.. Spare me the liberal bs about how people would have lost their life savings in the market if SS was privatized because you clearly think the market is the only investment place in the world.. Open up to the real world and learn about things like limited partnerships, land trusts etc..

You see I dont have any misnomers about living to ever collect social security. My dad died at 42 for example.. Amount of return for my father for the money he paid into Social Security was far less than had he bought bonds because he got ZERO.. Had he bought bonds they at least would have gone to his estate and distributed...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
No you are ignoring reality.. Social Security funds, if you were allowed to keep it and invest it in things like government bonds, bank cd's, which are ALL guaranteed by the government, you would still have every dime you invested even when the market crashes..
Well that's fine as long as the amount guaranteed is at or below $100,000... Let's not forget that the Government has been bankrupt since 1933...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Well that's fine as long as the amount guaranteed is at or below $100,000... Let's not forget that the Government has been bankrupt since 1933...
The public would invest THE SAME amount in government guaranteed investments that they currently spend in Social Security.. So if you want to limit the amount guaranteed then why dont you call for Social Security to limit their current payout?

Old 12-06-2010, 09:16 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,749,261 times
Quote:
Nope it is insured upto 250k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies