Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It proves that it has been turned into a political issue, by making it a part of the 2012 elections. It is just one more can 0bama has kicked down the street for someone else to take care of.

Why couldn't they have made the tax rates permanent,
and let the future congress decide if it wants to raise taxes some day in the future? Instead, they turn it into a political game of hot potato.
Shouldn't you be asking this question to GWB?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 09:45 AM

89,000 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
...the poverty rate is climbing in America...
This is why:
Quote:
The 1996 Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Reconciliation Act (PRWORA) gave states greater flexibility to formulate and implement initiatives to reduce welfare dependency and encourage employment for members of low-income families with children. For the nation, in 2006, 10 years after passage of the Act, the birth rate for women 15 to 50 years old receiving public assistance income in the last 12 months was 155 births per 1,000 women, about three times the rate for women not receiving public assistance (53 births per 1,000 women).
http://www.census.gov/prod/2008pubs/p20-558.pdf

Women on welfare are having children at a rate of 3 times that of women who do not receive public assistance. How can the poverty rate not climb under those conditions?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:46 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Still waiting for you to provide a link to verify this.
I did, see #54, but if you dont like that link, FIND YOUR OWN.. Anyone who has listened to the discussion, both sides of it, and not only left wing liberal sources, can tell you this is a fact.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 AM

59,029 posts, read 27,298,344 times
Quote:
Your Senator Is (Probably) a Millionaire

Your Senator Is (Probably) a Millionaire - NYTimes.com
Do ypou have a point?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:49 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
During the last bail out period, I had Republicans agreeing with me.

"No, we shouldn't be going further into debt during an economic crisis".

"You're right, this spending isn't going to create jobs"

Now that they have some power, its all about "well we need to stimulate the economy". I'm all for tax cuts, but I want them paid for, not to increase the debt.

The mental capacity for long term memory in the Republican party must be statistically low.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I did, see #54, but if you dont like that link, FIND YOUR OWN.. Anyone who has listened to the discussion, both sides of it, and not only left wing liberal sources, can tell you this is a fact.
Where will the unemployment money come out of, the stimulus? Did the republicans hold on to their principles about borrowing to extend unemployment benefits? Or did they decide borrowing is okay as long as they could help out the wealthy Americans?

Old 12-07-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Do ypou have a point?
Sure, I will connect the dots for you.

Perhaps these lawmakers wanted to give themselves a tax break.

Old 12-07-2010, 09:56 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,700,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
They did.. how many months in a row did the economy prosper? We had unemployment below 5%, which is considered full employment, we had deficits of $150B, we had 10,200,000 new jobs created, we had gdp growth

Seriously, were you asleep for all of these years?
Seriously, was there any net benefit? Were they good jobs or service sector minimum wage jobs? Did average wages increase? Did anyone other than that top 1% see major gains?

As for those 10 million+ jobs:

"The number of jobs in the nation increased by about 2 percent during Bush's tenure, the most tepid growth over any eight-year span since data collection began seven decades ago. "

And the GDP?

"Even excluding the 2008 recession, however, Bush presided over a weak period for the U.S. economy. For example, for the first seven years of the Bush administration, gross domestic product grew at a paltry 2.1 percent annual rate."

Bush Lead During Weakest Economy in Decades - washingtonpost.com

Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,465,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".

I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided some opportunity for middle and lower class people, too. That's no longer the case; we've become an oligarchy.

Yup. It means the 'Fiscally conservative" GOP have already been responsible for adding BILLIONS more to the deficit, just as they had during the Bush years.

A total joke show.

Old 12-07-2010, 10:01 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
During the last bail out period, I had Republicans agreeing with me.

"No, we shouldn't be going further into debt during an economic crisis".

"You're right, this spending isn't going to create jobs"

Now that they have some power, its all about "well we need to stimulate the economy". I'm all for tax cuts, but I want them paid for, not to increase the debt.

The mental capacity for long term memory in the Republican party must be statistically low.

The way to "pay for" tax cuts is to cut spending.

The odd logic of liberals is that they consider that one must somehow "pay for" revenue.

Any buisness first evaluates revenue, then determines expenses based on that revenue. By liberal logic, one should first spend with reckless abandon and then evaluate revenue later.

I must ask again-

WHEN, IN THE LAST 50 YEARS, HAVE THE FEDS EVER USED ANY REVENUE INCREASE TO REDUCE THE DEBT? Never. Why feed the pig when they are just going to blow it anyway on more and more federal programs.

Want to cut spending? Starve the pig and reduce federal access to capital. To raise taxes simply encourages more and more reckless spending, which we can ill afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies