U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:28 AM
 
Location: San Francisco, CA
13,980 posts, read 10,920,048 times
Reputation: 12742

Advertisements

So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".


I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided some opportunity for middle and lower class people, too. That's no longer the case; we've become an oligarchy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,491,111 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".


I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided opportunities for middle and lower class people, too. We've become an oligarchy.
What are you waiting for then? Cut a check to the Treasury to make up for the taxes you think you should be paying! Anyone who cries about the cuts being extended WHILE they are one of those in that tax bracket AND NOT sending in more taxes like they think they should be paying is nothing more than a hypocritical belly acher. SEND THAT CHECK!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:33 AM
 
Location: Here
10,864 posts, read 11,933,435 times
Reputation: 5985
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What are you waiting for then? Cut a check to the Treasury to make up for the taxes you think you should be paying! Anyone who cries about the cuts being extended WHILE they are one of those in that tax bracket AND NOT sending in more taxes like they think they should be paying is nothing more than a hypocritical belly acher. SEND THAT CHECK!
Don't hold your breath waiting on that to happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM
 
29,711 posts, read 16,424,516 times
Reputation: 13803
Nowhere in your 5 points do you mention excessive government spending.
The left certainly has a blind spot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 AM
 
10,606 posts, read 12,132,851 times
Reputation: 6500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What are you waiting for then? Cut a check to the Treasury to make up for the taxes you think you should be paying! Anyone who cries about the cuts being extended WHILE they are one of those in that tax bracket AND NOT sending in more taxes like they think they should be paying is nothing more than a hypocritical belly acher. SEND THAT CHECK!
Even if ambient decided to do that and send more money into the IRS, they would send it back. The tax law, is the tax law, is the tax law. It's not like a mortgage payment where you can choose to pay more.

The best ambient can do in this situation, is try to employ someone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 AM
 
36,835 posts, read 16,083,784 times
Reputation: 8366
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".


I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided some opportunity for middle and lower class people, too. That's no longer the case; we've become an oligarchy.
You can't have it both ways. People like you claim the rich don't pay any taxes because the get their income from investments not salary. Plus they have access to all the loop holes.

Second, you talk as if only the repubs are rich. Don't you think the dems rich benifactors will benefit also?

Give detail where you get the figure of $700B from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 AM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,491,111 times
Reputation: 4230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Even if ambient decided to do that and send more money into the IRS, they would send it back. The tax law, is the tax law, is the tax law. It's not like a mortgage payment where you can choose to pay more.

The best ambient can do in this situation, is try to employ someone.
You can make donations to the Treasury for tax or deficit/debt purposes. They will NEVER turn down free money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:43 AM
 
Location: Midwest
31,359 posts, read 19,612,643 times
Reputation: 7859
Apparently the Republicans are willing to add to the deficit by extending unemployment $$$ if they can also decrease the incoming revenue by extending tax cuts to the wealthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Midwest
31,359 posts, read 19,612,643 times
Reputation: 7859
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
You can make donations to the Treasury for tax or deficit/debt purposes. They will NEVER turn down free money.
I bet the millionaires and billionaires will never send a check!

They will spend their money vacationing in Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2010, 08:44 AM
 
Location: Fort Worth Texas
12,482 posts, read 8,833,954 times
Reputation: 2527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
So the top two percent get to keep their tax cuts during a time of historic deficit and unemployment levels. What does this say?

1. The Republicans were successful in holding 98% of the American public and unemployed workers hostage for their sake of their rich benefactors.

2. Since it has been documented to death that only a few percent of small business owners who tax their income through personal taxes as business income overlap with the top two percent, this will do virtually nothing for small business and employment growth.

3. Since most of the top wealthy folks in this country are not going to spend that incremental piece of cash they get, the impact on the economy is going to be nothing to write about.

4. For this minimal gain, we just added another $700B to the deficit, which is nearing the magnitude of Obama's old stimulus plan.

5. Since both Republicans and Democrats have helped Big Business for years to outsource millions of well-paying jobs overseas, and since there are now simply not enough jobs for those previously employed Americans to earn a living, we are basically just continuing to concentrate wealth in the hands of the very top few wealthy hands while we build a massive underclass of impoverished people - and then blame them for "being lazy".


I say all of this as a person in one of those top two percent of households, which I frankly can't even believe that I am. I have no problem with rich people, and I think they deserve to keep being rich...but this used to be a nation that also provided some opportunity for middle and lower class people, too. That's no longer the case; we've become an oligarchy.
1) the dems still control the house and Senate it will take Dems to pass it so your post is exposed and a political hack troll post wih no merit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top