Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2010, 02:08 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times

Advertisements

Of all of the details in the package, the most galling to liberals seemed to be the compromise to extend the tax cuts for the highest earners, which many Democrats fought when the cuts passed Congress in 2001 and 2003 and have railed against ever since. Democrats had also badly wanted to make permanent the tax cuts for middle- and lower-income workers, which was not included in the deal.
Liberal Democrats Livid Over Tax-Cut Compromise; Sanders Threatens Filibuster
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,474 times
I hope he does. I really do. Not beacuse I think the tax cuts are a bad idea. But because I'm in a position to not care about ANY of the things in this bill, other than how the Democrats are trying to turn it into a political football. I think it would be delicious to see the Democrats completely fall flat on their face on this matter which they haev bungled so badly.

Yeah, OK, I'd like my tax rate to not go up. But I've always said that if mine goes up, I'm fine with it so long as the middle class's goes up, too. And I don't care about the UE benefits being extended at all. It would be a fitting end to 4 years of Democrat reign to fall flat on their faces on this last bit of legislation.

The anger from Sanders seems to be that the tax cuts weren't made permanent for middle class workers (there was a blurb in there about lower class workers, but the reality is they don't pay any taxes anyways - they get paid just to be here). Well of course they weren't made permanent. Because if they were made permanent and the upper class tax cuts were not, then there would be no leverage to keep the upper class tax cuts once they were set to expire again in a couple of years.

These tax cuts need to be either cut off or made permanent on a blanket level. Either they all stay or they all go.

Old 12-07-2010, 02:20 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Where is the Tea Party- Obama wants to borrow $70 Billion from Iran and China and give it away

Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Where is the Tea Party- Obama wants to borrow $70 Billion from Iran and China and give it away
the 70 billion for ALL THE TAX CUTS is small potatoes to the 140 billion for extending unemployment for 13 month

Old 12-07-2010, 06:44 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,278,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
But because I'm in a position to not care about ANY of the things in this bill, other than how the Democrats are trying to turn it into a political football.
Why? because we don't want to extend it?

George Bush is the one that signed that tax-cut to expire on December, 2010.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:46 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Of all of the details in the package, the most galling to liberals seemed to be the compromise to extend the tax cuts for the highest earners, which many Democrats fought when the cuts passed Congress in 2001 and 2003 and have railed against ever since. Democrats had also badly wanted to make permanent the tax cuts for middle- and lower-income workers, which was not included in the deal.
Liberal Democrats Livid Over Tax-Cut Compromise; Sanders Threatens Filibuster
Go ahead and raise everyone's taxes then. I am sure that will gain tremendous praise and support from the American people in 2012.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies