Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Half way through their college retraining, and no income..

They did sit down and do the calculations before they started college on what they would do 1/2 way through college when their income would stop?

That would be my very first question. Ok, I've got x weeks for school, I've got x weeks for income.. What do I do during the lapse?

Did they fail math class where they didnt understand that the schooling was > the income?
These were obviously the unemployed who did exactly what so many on here cry for them to do while unemployed - get more education/retraining rather than "sit on the couch sucking up UE benefits" - but now they're wrong to have done this as well?

**** they can't win for trying with some of you people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 12:13 AM

11,449 posts, read 14,461,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post

They'll find a way to vilify them as always. But that's how those armchair types are behind the computer.

Old 12-09-2010, 12:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
These were obviously the unemployed who did exactly what so many on here cry for them to do while unemployed - get more education/retraining rather than "sit on the couch sucking up UE benefits" - but now they're wrong to have done this as well?

Common sense would dictate (or so I thought) that if you only had 2 years of income you only sign up for 2 years of schooling, or even a trade school.. Not a 4 year degree and then whine when your benefits end that you didnt complete a 4 year education in 2..

I might be math challenged tonight, but my elementary school daughter who's 7 assures me that 4 year is greater than 2...

Old 12-09-2010, 12:17 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
They'll find a way to vilify them as always. But that's how those armchair types are behind the computer.
And you guys will always find ways of accusing others of doing something that they arent, while defending stupidity..

Again, is 2 years of income greater than 4 years of schooling? If not, only a fool (ok, now I'm villifying them) would do that without having a plan to substain their livelyhood for years 3 and 4.

Its no different than any other college student, unless you are now proposing that we should be cutting paychecks to every american who is in college using your same justification, that not doing so is villifying them..

Why should the unemployed be "special" and get checks and college kids not? I mean hey, lets take the next step right? Not supporting these people is mean, mean, mean!!!

Old 12-09-2010, 12:30 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,936,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HC475 View Post
The corporate lobby has been holding the Unemployed hostage until they got their tax cuts from the Republicans... Now that they got their tax cuts... Are they going to start hiring again?...
Our biggest client has been 'holding off' on work for about 3 months now, only hiring out the work that absolutely NEEDED to be done.

Late last week, the news began to shift and it started looking like the tax cuts would be extended. We got work! And then today, two more WOs.

Yep... it's starting up again ALREADY!

On the other hand, my dad is about to join the ranks of the unemployed because of the military budget cuts (no, he's not military, but an engineer). At the age of 61, it's unlikely that he'll be rehired when so many younger guys will be out there are willing to work for less.

But, he's scheduled to be one of the last "out the door" just a couple days before Christmas, so we're hopeful on his behalf. Two years of unemployment will only have him without any incoming cash flow for just a few months, but it will eat seriously into his retirement budget as he was hoping not to start SS until he was 65 or older.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:50 AM

613 posts, read 960,535 times
Quote:
Half way through their college retraining, and no income..

They did sit down and do the calculations before they started college on what they would do 1/2 way through college when their income would stop?

That would be my very first question. Ok, I've got x weeks for school, I've got x weeks for income.. What do I do during the lapse?

Did they fail math class where they didnt understand that the schooling was > the income?
Math? Did someone say math?:

Jobs created thru Sept 10' - 863,000
Jobs created in Nov 10' - 39,000
Number of new workers each month - 150,000
Number of jobs lost in Bush Jr's last month -618,000
Number of people unemployed - 15.3 million

So each month we add 150,000 new people looking for work and only created 39,000 jobs in Nov 10'. And we lost almost as many jobs in Bush Jr's last month as the jobs created in 10'. Now you do the math.

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Last edited by TruckDriver33; 12-09-2010 at 06:03 AM..

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,847,737 times
Quote:
I dont know many small business owners that benefit from the tax cuts who can afford lobbiests.. Corporations didnt receive a cut.. Nice try.. maybe you can try to catch up with the rest of us on facts..
Corporations would get extension of the Tax breaks for R&D credit and the ability to write off 100% of their Capital Investments next year. No,the Corporations don't get anything out of this deal? I guess it's we who need to "catch up"?

Old 12-09-2010, 07:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,152,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
I have friends that are losing their benefits next week because they are exhausting their tier 4. Half way through their college retraining and no income. Bad news is, if the house doesn't pass the extensions of tiers 1 thru 4, there will never be a chance for a tier 5.
There shouldn't be a Tier 5. Shouldn't be a Tier 2-4 either.

You don't have a right to a job and there is no law, either in economics or natural law or any other law that says a certain number of people must be employed.

Through the 1960s, 1950s and 1970s, less than 13% of households had two wage earners, and things were quite peachy. There's no real reason to have 65% of households with two wage earners. Neither corporations nor governments have an obligation to ensure 65% of households have two wage earners. It's unsustainable for one thing.

Y'all just need to get used to doing less with less. You'll live, and live better.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:38 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Who is responsible for high unemployment rate?
Why businesses of course....

When a society worships the pursuit of wealth to the extent we do NOTHING matters more than making a buck(or a few billion)...

Not the workers who make the products,not the consumers who buy the products, and not the nation either...

So what if the country goes down the crapper,at least the businessman made millions...and of course has a way to escape.

The gov. doesn't produce jobs.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:40 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:

You see that too...kind of funny really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies