Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 06:04 AM

3,539 posts, read 7,653,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I've only been on three guided hunts in my life but each time I had to sight in my rifle (300 Win Mag) at camp before we went hunting. It was a requirement from the guides. Of course I deer hunt and [...]
You hunt deer with a 300 Win Mag?

Idjit. Total idjit. And not a hunter either...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:10 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Who came up with the idea that HER show was about the people of Alaska?

Is the show named The People of Alaska?

Another jealous left winger attack thread.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Amazing, isn't it?

As Laura said;

Quote:
Its "Sarah Palin's Alaska."

Old 12-09-2010, 06:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yes, we hunt, we fish, and a lot of us out in the various rural parts of the state we really depend on that. But Palin's hunting trip was more reflective of the great white -48 hunters than that of real Alaskans.

We know what recoil is here, and we don't pay $144 a pound for meat to fill our freezers, which is what the caribou that Palin was finally able to shoot after several tries (kinda like her college career) cost when everything was factored in.

I hope that you all watch the show at least once (though I'd suggest hitting the mute button to avoid that shrill mess of a voice) for the beautiful scenery, but please don't think that Alaskans actually do things that way.
You have to remember, Sarah is seeing Alaska out of her rear view mirror. It's hard to assimilate the real picture, when everything is reversed.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
I'd have to take exception to Nick's explanation as to why the caribou that Palin shot at several times before finally being able to hit it didn't run away.

They're fairly skittish creatures.

And if you're typing about me as being someone who has lost an argument, what argument in particular would that be? My point here is that Palin's hung did not portray Alaskan life in a realistic fashion.

Sorry to have to break it to you yet again, but we simply don't spend thousands on charters in order to fill up the freezer.

What Palin did is called sports hunting.
Before I say more, let me caution folks on a couple things. One is that I've been reading what Met has to say for quite awhile, and she's got a lot on the ball. She's missed on one little aspect here, but hit the nail on the head in terms of what Sarah Palin is or isn't. (Which is that Palin should just be ignored, because she isn't anything significant.)

Caribou, locally known as tutu (Inupiaq), aren't skittish in the same way other creatures are. I've seen more than once when someone did exactly the same thing described for Palin (I didn't watch the video), and no it didn't scare off the caribou when there were several shots taken from a gun that been bounced around enough to be way off. (One memorable case was that after about the 5th shot from a buddy of mine I actually spotted where the bullet hit the ground about 4 feet behind the animal. I laughed and told him. He laughed harder and said he'd aimed that shot about 4 feet in front of it!) (Oh, that guy is a grey hair old man who grew up on the Arctic Tundra at Barrow.)

I didn't hear anything about Palin's caribou hunt that caused me any anxiety over what the did... with the single exception that it was indeed just a "sport" hunt. People don't spend thousands on a charter for subsistence. Incidentally, sport hunting isn't exactly well thought of where I live...

BTW, I've never been on a guided hunt in my life! Of course I've never wanted to kill something for fun either. No bear hunts. I've always been strictly a meat hunter; and I haven't personally had any need to hunt for many years. I did read the articles at the URL's posted, and got a big laugh out of the guy who thinks it requires calming to take a shot at a "big game animal". Maybe people like that shouldn't be allowed to own guns...

Old 12-09-2010, 06:26 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Yes, we hunt, we fish, and a lot of us out in the various rural parts of the state we really depend on that. But Palin's hunting trip was more reflective of the great white -48 hunters than that of real Alaskans.

We know what recoil is here, and we don't pay $144 a pound for meat to fill our freezers, which is what the caribou that Palin was finally able to shoot after several tries (kinda like her college career) cost when everything was factored in.

I hope that you all watch the show at least once (though I'd suggest hitting the mute button to avoid that shrill mess of a voice) for the beautiful scenery, but please don't think that Alaskans actually do things that way.
Let me ask you a question. Is the woman who runs that hunting camp an Alaskan? If the answer is 'yes' then Sarah did not misrepresent Alaskans. I didn't hear her say that her hunting experience was representative of all the hunting that is done in Alaska. But it is representative of the wide variety of terrain and experiences one can have in Alaska. The week before she and Bristol spent a day as crew members on a halibut fishing boat off of Homer. Again, Sarah didn't say that represented the entire commercial or sport fishing experience in Alaska. In her show she's trying to showcase various parts of Alaska but obviously can't do it all. So relax and enjoy the travelogue. Alaska is beautiful.

Old 12-09-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post

Just keep in mind that Sarah Palin's Alaska is a fantasy land. The real Alaska is where some of the rest of us actually do live. Metlakatla for example!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:06 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
She must not have calmed herself too well to take five shots in order to kill the poor thing.
I think some here have a point in that the title of the show is "Sarah Palin's Alaska", not "The Real Alaska"

Sarah Palin's Alaska...meaning phony, fake, heavily made up, shallow, tunnel-visioned, inaccurate, misleading, erroneous, sole purpose to make money off suckers.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:15 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd_Davidson View Post
You hunt deer with a 300 Win Mag?

Idjit. Total idjit. And not a hunter either...
Why, what should I use a longbow, a BB gun, a 270, a 30-06, a shotgun, a compound bow..... welll.... A Bowie knife maybe......

Old 12-09-2010, 07:18 AM

124 posts, read 174,654 times
I like Palin, but would never vote for her. Now, I realize how valuable Hiliary was. Missed the boat on that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies