Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Gee, that brings up images of the banking/financial world, Halliburton in Iraq, tax loopholes for the wealthy, drug companies selling dangerous drugs, Insurance companies making billions by denying health care....all kinds of corruption but since so many quake in fear and cowardice of those entities it's much safer to go after those who lost their jobs....

Of course, unemployment fraud is a drop in the bucket compared to ..oh, Halliburton fraud, so it does make their defenders look quite stupid.
What tax "loopholes" can the wealthy use that you can not??

1040's are the same for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 08:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Because maybe we have morals?!
LOL....uh huh.
It would be wrong to actually think you should get BACK some of the money extorted from you by the gov....

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
What tax "loopholes" can the wealthy use that you can not??

1040's are the same for everyone.
This is something more and more people should look into....reducing their tax burden.

It is called tax avoidance and makes sense...

Hopefully we will not be paying into the beast next year.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:35 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel.S View Post
The above statement is your typical uninformed, uneducated brainwashed post.

So many people talking the talk without walking the walk 1st......

Shame society has resorted to such a rock bottom low where the U.S. citizens refuse to take care of their own. Yes there are people that take advanatge of the system (a VERY small percentage I can guarantee you), but that goes for BOTH SIDES. Bloody Unamercan is what it is. Shame on you people !

If I don't work, I don't get unemployment benefits.

You can clearly see where I'm coming from.

I walk in those shoes, even during good times. Some take it for granted.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:36 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,107,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
So no actual numbers,not any idea how many but you know that the number of people doing so is huge?

I know people screw the system,people do it all the time with taxes,permits,not paying credit cards,etc....

But I also don't get in a huff over it because of some mistaken idea that I am paying for it....never will.
Lord knows I wish we could quantify once and for all how many of the moochers are truly abusing the system. If there was a way to do this, don't you think there would also be a way to stop these people? But alas, until the gov't wises up and stops just handing it out to any bum who wants it, nothing will ever change. They, and you also, need to take the blinders off and take a good look around you.

And how is it screwing the system to not pay your credit card bills? That screws one person only...YOU. It has nothing to do with screwing the gov't via getting an undeserved handout.

YOU, ME and EVERYONE ELSE on here and in America (well, I guess only 47% of us) are paying for people with their hands out! Don't you get that? It's taxpayer money, it doesn't grow on trees. It's coming from China at this point, and WE the people are responsible for paying this debt, with interest. We are screwed b/c of these people.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I don't work, I don't get unemployment benefits.

You can clearly see where I'm coming from.

I walk in those shoes, even during good times. Some take it for granted.
If you are self employed,can't you choose to pay unemployment insurance so when you don't have any work you can collect?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

17,371 posts, read 14,613,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Not going to happen. I was smart enough when I bought my house not to get over-extended. If I pinch pennies, I can probably get by on what my wife makes. Since I'm receiving unemployment, I haven't had to test this theory yet but one way or another, I will survive.
Hey, newsflash - you probably should be pinching pennies anyway. You're unemployed.

Your post is a pretty darned good example of why some people bemoan the current state of YEARS of unemployment benefits. You're obviously not suffering, you're not struggling - and you can sustain your family on your wife's income.

If they pulled your benefits it would give you more of an incentive to become employed.

But by your own admission - you're NOT pinching pennies with the bennies you're getting now, so what's your motivation to get off the public dole? I'll answer for you - there isn't one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?!
Then there's the REALLY stupid group, "We defend the rich who we think ALL worked their way up even though most are BORN rich and have done nothing to earn a penny and we worship and defend them while their boot is firmly on our neck 'cause we're stupid group."
Most millionaires in this country didn't receive an inheritance. So no, they weren't born rich.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:40 AM

Quote:
It's not fair that I didn't get any handouts when I could have really needed them so no-one should...

It's not fair....
No, wrong again. He is ABOVE taking handouts. He takes responsibility for himself. It's not about not being approved for handouts, there is no bitterness involved, at least none that I can see.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
What will happen to overall consumption and business cash flow if the unemployed no longer have ANY money to spend?

Old 12-09-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
There is also the matter of no-one is really paying for another person's unemployment...otherwise your taxes would have increased....
Right, business owners are paying for it. Their rates increased last year b/c of this outrageously extended UE period. Don't you think this might factor into their hiring decisions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies