Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2010, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 10,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
The term is homesteader,it is choosing to not be part of the decay that is this society....
Your term might be homesteader, these people are proud to call themselves Doomers. They see Doom everywhere, financial, agricultural, astrological, you name it. Happy about it most of the time seems like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz
Funny you think farming isn't intellectual,but then those who are only college educated oftentimes confuse the limited amount of knowledge they were given
with intelligence.

Hope you aren't one of those types....
My college education and specialty skills do come in handy in the cash income department...enough to make sure that I'm the majority shareholder in my in-laws family business....farming and ranching of course.

Why homestead when you can just buy right in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 09:41 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Right, b/c I'm responsible for paying off this guy's debt, sending him on fishing trips, paying relocation expenses, etc.? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight. He had no worries except for maybe how he was gonna cook his fish that night.

ETA: UE is so you can look for another job. So, this guy looked for a job for 2 out of the 10 months he rec'd UE, which means he was lying for the rest of the time and scamming the system. How disgusting, and for the kicker, he's proud of himself. And you want to tell me abuse doesn't happen.
At over 13% unemployment I would never have found a job that paid anything near what it would have required for me to stay wear I was living at the time considering me and my ex had just split up. After having my hours slowly reduced over the last 6 months until finally being laid off I did not have the money to relocate as well.
I never said I wasn't looking for work the whole time. Had a job that would have allowed me to stay presented itself I would infarct have stayed but that didn't happen which is why I kept saving my money to relocate to somewhere with a better economy. while doing that I spent some time with my grandma who had recently become a widow and helped here remodel here house in order to sell it so she could downsize to something she could manage by here self.
after it was all said and done I ended up on the beach in south Texas making more money than I made before I was laid off. The extra taxes I'll pay due to the 40k more per year that I'm making at my new job than I would have made roughing it out up north for the next 2 years is more $ than the unemployment that I received
people like you make me laugh

Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB12 View Post
Your term might be homesteader, these people are proud to call themselves Doomers. They see Doom everywhere, financial, agricultural, astrological, you name it. Happy about it most of the time seems like.

My college education and specialty skills do come in handy in the cash income department...enough to make sure that I'm the majority shareholder in my in-laws family business....farming and ranching of course.

Why homestead when you can just buy right in?
Same reason you build your own hotrod...although those incapable just buy one,no enjoyment but it is the best they can do.

I find it enjoyable to clear the land and plan out where things will be...

And some people find making money fun...

Old 12-09-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
At over 13% unemployment I would never have found a job that paid anything near what it would have required for me to stay wear I was living at the time considering me and my ex had just split up. After having my hours slowly reduced over the last 6 months until finally being laid off I did not have the money to relocate as well.
I never said I wasn't looking for work the whole time. Had a job that would have allowed me to stay presented itself I would infarct have stayed but that didn't happen which is why I kept saving my money to relocate to somewhere with a better economy. while doing that I spent some time with my grandma who had recently become a widow and helped here remodel here house in order to sell it so she could downsize to something she could manage by here self.
after it was all said and done I ended up on the beach in south Texas making more money than I made before I was laid off. The extra taxes I'll pay due to the 40k more per year that I'm making at my new job than I would have made roughing it out up north for the next 2 years is more $ than the unemployment that I received

Old 12-09-2010, 09:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times
i think we have reached a new era in history, and that is high unemployment will be the new norm. and growing >deficits< will be following in it's wake !! in other words,, the inevitable collapse of our little trial and error system will come crashing down.. look around it's happening all over the world. the fat cats,>> get fatter<<>>>> while the meek get thinner

Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveB12 View Post
And maybe if we paid UE benefits to people who we then required to dig ditches, not only could we have a bunch of new ditches nearly free (we would have paid the benefits anyway, right?) but we could bet that not nearly as many people would be standing around 2 years after they began collecting UE, right? Once they discover they have to WORK for the money, I'm guessing they'll go out and find their OWN job, rather than the ditch digging required of them!
Wow -- there are millions of people on unemployment who have been asking for a WPA type program. Bring it on. Please. [with some minor adjustments for your 60 year old father with that triple by-pass]

Too bad it would ultimately be seen by people who post this stuff as just another hand out.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Not buying it. The only people who make 40k salary jumps are people who are already making a pretty tidy sum as it is. People don't go from 30 to 70 without adjusting their skillsets, and the Houston/Galveston Texas coast doesn't have a cost of living significantly higher than most other places, so the salary ranges won't be drastically altered.

Why does this make your story fall apart? Because if you were already earning in the 6 figures to where a 40k swing was feasible, you'd have had the savings necessary to relocate out of the gate, given that you stated you had recently split from an ex and you had dual incomes. The people who get laid off and have no savings are either grossly irresponsible or else not high-wage workers. Unless your argument is you are a high wage earner who happens to be grossly irresponsible and can't budget money (unlikely, since you're claiming you only had 6K in debt), then the only logical conclusion is were in fact not a high-wage worker, and that a 40K jump in salary would not be believable.

I will, however, go ahead and give a nod to the possibility that you were a low wage worker AND don't know how to budget, but that's neither here nor there.

My hypothesis: You did in fact split from your ex and get laid off, but you weren't making that much to start with. You went and lived with your aging grandmother, who probably sacrified some of her quality of life in order to make sure you had a roof over your head. You spent some time at least fixing up her house, but ultimately an event occurred which either spurred you to leave or caused you to light a fire under your rear end. You relocated to southern Texas and did in fact find a job that paid more than you had previously, but not significantly so. You figure it makes a better story, so you say it's 40K more than you were making before, when it's probably closer to 5. And you proclaim that you are spending your time "on the beach", even though nobody who has ever been to or lived in Southern Texas and knows how brown and smelly the Gulf is due to all the supertankers and the constant smell/film of oil in the water would ever classify sitting on a beach down there as any sort of paradise.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:57 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,278,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizzo100 View Post
Some of you people make me sick. You act like every person who is unemployed is getting some kind of enjoyment out of this horrible situation. I really never thought I would stoop to this level of wishing something bad on people who I don't even know, but being unemployed changes you. Every time I hear someone say we are lazy or milking the system it makes my blood boil. There is nothing that would please me more (other than getting a job) than to see you people lose your jobs. Maybe then you would wake up and smell the coffee.
Which unemployed are you talking about?

There are those that refuse to work who use their children to collect $600 per child per month, vouchers for housing, free insurance food stamps and they hardly ever get back to the working world.
Then there are multi-generational welfare folks who have had grandma, ma and daughter all be on welfare instead of in the working world most of their life.
Then their are students with great expectations who got the degree, have offers to please come talk to employers in two or more years.
Then there are some paid great wages at the peak of the bubble who lost their job and refuse to work for less money.
Then you got people working a walmart, and other part time jobs to make ends meet.

Some people deserve scrutiny who are jobless and some posters could deserve your wrath if they picked on people who are trying to really work anywhere to make money in this economy.
These are tough times, I know people getting up at 4am to work three part time jobs, then I also know people who figure why work as long as I get my unemployment check and maybe could also work some under the table.

This is a mixed bag friend.
Some posting against certain jobless are right, and depending on who they could be posting about they could be very wrong.

This one isn't black or white IMO. I understand your anger though.

Old 12-09-2010, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i think we have reached a new era in history, and that is high unemployment will be the new norm. and growing >deficits< will be following in it's wake !! in other words,, the inevitable collapse of our little trial and error system will come crashing down.. look around it's happening all over the world. the fat cats,>> get fatter<<>>>> while the meek get thinner
I agree,it is actually pretty amazing how people will adapt to their new situation....

I think unemployment will remain high for the foreseeable future....

And people will adapt.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Looks like even our dear friends in jail are collecting UE benefits. Fraud? What fraud?

Quote:
The Labor Department realized last year that inmates were scamming the state by collecting benefits in jail.

The Labor Department started comparing notes with the Department of Correctional Services to put a stop to it.

It found 126 inmates illegally getting $465,000 in benefits.
Stopping Inmate Unemployment Scams | WBNG-TV: News, Sports and Weather Binghamton, New York | State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies