Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,174,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
No surprise. Turner has been a long term proponent of population reduction. He is actually on record as claiming that a 95 percent reduction of current levels would be ideal. I say you and your family first Mr. Turner. Do your part, set the example.

“A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal.”
– Ted Turner, founder of CNN and major UN donor
I would say that Turner is a bit taken in by Agenda 21 which is the real child of the UN. I think that they want to reduce the population of the US pretty near the number you mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2010, 10:54 PM

20,957 posts, read 5,519,581 times
Answers.com - How many acres of land does Earth have

Answer: 36,794,240,000 acres

That's well over thirty-six billion acres of land. If you generously declare 90% of that land to be not suitable for human habitation, you're still approaching 3.7 billion acres of land. Divide that among the estimated population of 6,886,600,000 people (United States Census Bureau), that comes out to be roughly 2 people per acre of land. I'm not using a calculator.

I'd take a half acre and be happy. Heck, I've lived on a quarter acre and it seemed like enough. Just doesn't seem that crowded to me.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:14 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekester View Post
No surprise. Turner has been a long term proponent of population reduction. He is actually on record as claiming that a 95 percent reduction of current levels would be ideal. I say you and your family first Mr. Turner. Do your part, set the example.

“A total population of 250-300 million people, a 95% decline from present levels, would be ideal.”
– Ted Turner, founder of CNN and major UN donor
As if Ted Turner needs to set anymore examples...

Turner's success-nearly a full 1/3 of his net worth-became a public gift in a single stroke, a $1 billion donation to the United Nations in 1998. The donation created the United Nations Foundation, a charity focused on aiding the world's most pressing global problems. And this was just the start: Turner went on to create the Turner Foundation, the Captain Planet Foundation (and cartoon!), the Turner Endangered Species Fund, and the Nuclear Threat Initiative, to reduce the threat of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons worldwide. "I love this planet, it's worth saving" is the motto by which Turner makes his business and philanthropic decisions which have-quite tangibly-bettered the environment, human rights, women's rights, and civil society.
:: Ted Turner | Architect of Peace

Interesting how some on CD worship the rich and greedy so much that they will fight to the bitter end to defend the greed, but when a rich guy such as Turner gives back a thousandfold and actually works towards making this world a better place, he is demonozed. Boy, some people see things really ass backwards.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 12-09-2010 at 11:23 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

243 posts, read 274,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
As if Ted Turner needs to set anymore examples...

Turner's success-nearly a full 1/3 of his net worth-became a public gift in a single stroke, a $1 billion donation to the United Nations in 1998. The donation created the United Nations Foundation, a charity focused on aiding the world's most pressing global problems. And this was just the start: Turner went on to create the Turner Foundation, the Captain Planet Foundation (and cartoon!), the Turner Endangered Species Fund, and the Nuclear Threat Initiative, to reduce the threat of nuclear, chemical, and biological weapons worldwide. "I love this planet, it's worth saving" is the motto by which Turner makes his business and philanthropic decisions which have-quite tangibly-bettered the environment, human rights, women's rights, and civil society.
:: Ted Turner | Architect of Peace

Interesting how some on CD worship the rich and greedy so much that they will fight to the bitter end to defend the greed, but when a rich guy such as Turner gives back a thousandfold and actually works towards making this world a better place, he is demonozed. Boy, some people see things really ass backwards.
There is a difference between a feller who worked his whole life and managed to have 10 million dollars all totaled and someone worth billions that would blow their nose with 10 mil that uses their money to decide who has the right to have children.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:35 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,187,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Answers.com - How many acres of land does Earth have

Answer: 36,794,240,000 acres

That's well over thirty-six billion acres of land. If you generously declare 90% of that land to be not suitable for human habitation, you're still approaching 3.7 billion acres of land. Divide that among the estimated population of 6,886,600,000 people (United States Census Bureau), that comes out to be roughly 2 people per acre of land. I'm not using a calculator.

I'd take a half acre and be happy. Heck, I've lived on a quarter acre and it seemed like enough. Just doesn't seem that crowded to me.
So, we have space for people to live.

Do we have food for them? Fresh water for them? Fuel for their electrical and transportation needs? Jobs for them? Infrastructure to support them?

I await your reply.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:30 AM

20,957 posts, read 5,519,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoarfrost View Post
So, we have space for people to live.

Do we have food for them? Fresh water for them? Fuel for their electrical and transportation needs? Jobs for them? Infrastructure to support them?

I await your reply.
Well, I'm assuming that the population figure I cited includes only living people. Last time I checked, they weren't counting dead people on the census. Point is, they aren't dropping like flies so something's working.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:40 AM

33,502 posts, read 37,019,121 times
No they are not dropping like flies....They are breeding like rabbits.

Check this out, World Population Clock - Worldometers

Old 12-10-2010, 11:49 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,323,382 times
Poorer nations would do well to ENCOURAGE (not force!) family planning, and one child (2 at most), until they can get their colletcive houses in order and reduce poverty, and then have at it.

It's a fact nobody like to talk about, but poverty is something that will never go away until poorer people stop growing their numbers exponentially. The old reasons to have large families - agrarian economics - are not valid in most parts of the world.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM

27,625 posts, read 21,051,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellwater View Post
There is a difference between a feller who worked his whole life and managed to have 10 million dollars all totaled and someone worth billions that would blow their nose with 10 mil that uses their money to decide who has the right to have children.
Turner is using his money to decide who should have children??? Please link me to that article...I'd love to read it.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,019,746 times
Who wants to chip in to buy Turner a one way ticket to China? What an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies