U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 11:19 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,131,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jobs ARE being created by US corporations but not in the US.
How long do you think UE extensions can go on ?
Those jobs that left are not coming back; those are now permanent jobs in another country.
Workers here willingly took cuts, heavier workload and are producing so companies are happy.

So all the unemployed just sit around "waiting" for someone to create a job for them ?

And Pelosi herself said UE creates jobs.
well, if Pelosi said it then it must be true. She also said that the moon is really the sun at night. My science teacher would beg to differ.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 11:21 AM

47,316 posts, read 24,627,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
No, you don't have it right. There are no tax "cuts" for everyone, this would be an extension of the current, decade long tax RATES. If they fail to extend them, that would be a tax HIKE.
And a well needed tax hike too.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
And a well needed tax hike too.
what great things will our gov't do with our tax money?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Face it people..you cannot give everyone what they want..they are polar opposites.

We need to cut programs back.
We need to let the cuts expire.
We need to raise taxes on ALL.

We bailed out the banks and corporates and we have to pay that bill.
Europe is doing it; do you think it won't happen here ? You are delusional if you think we can "spend our way out of debt" and print money when we need it.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:02 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,905,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jobs ARE being created by US corporations but not in the US.
How long do you think UE extensions can go on ?
Those jobs that left are not coming back; those are now permanent jobs in another country.
Workers here willingly took cuts, heavier workload and are producing so companies are happy.

So all the unemployed just sit around "waiting" for someone to create a job for them ?

And Pelosi herself said UE creates jobs.
UI doesn't create jobs, by itself. But it does help the economy, by allowing unemployed people to purchase goods and services. Which in turn, stimulates the economy.

I will never believe, as many do, that the unemployed are just 'sitting around'. Most are diligently looking for jobs, which are VERY few and far between now. The UI extensions, should go on until the unemployment rate drops. Perhaps to 7% or so.

Last edited by artwomyn; 12-11-2010 at 12:31 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
UI doesn't creat jobs, by itself. But it does help the economy, by allowing unemployed people to purchase goods and services. Which in turn, stimulates the economy.

I will never believe, as many do, that the unemployed are just 'sitting around'. Most are diligently looking for jobs, which are VERY few and far between now. The UI extensions, should go on until the unemployment rate drops. Perhaps to 7% or so.
ok, but how do we create jobs?
and, how do we ween those unemployed off of the free lunch nipple?
I say that drastic times call for drastic measures. We need to think outside the box... the box that we are in has too many unemployed people trying to fit in. It will not last much longer!

Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,905,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
yes, we need to keep people from starving in the streets. But, to say that unemployment benefits create jobs is just wrong.
We both agree that we need to create jobs. But, we also need to give the unemployed some incentive to join the workforce. Giving them money to sit around and drink beer is not the right way to do that.
I'll never understand, why so many of you posters think that the unemployed are just 'sitting around loafing'. Most are doing some serious job-hunting. Problem is, jobs are just not available, for everyone who wants one. And the unemployment rate has been rising, not shrinking.

And I'm also tired, of unemployment benefits being called 'free money'. The unemployed paid into the unemployment system via being taxed, when they were working. Then, they have to pay taxes on UI benefits AGAIN, when they file federal and state taxes, at the end of the year. So calling UI 'free money', is absolutely absurd!

You sound like you're jealous of the unemployed. How would you like to try and make ends meet on the avarage unemployment benefit check, which averages only a little over $300 a week?? It's hard enough for a single person to live on that, but it's even worse, for those who are trying to support their families.

Last edited by artwomyn; 12-11-2010 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:18 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,032,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Let me see if I have this straight from the more extreme rightists on the board:

1) If you work for the government as firefighter, teacher, nurse, mailman or other necessary job you are not successful. If you inherit Wal Mart stock, run the economy into the ground as a banking CEO then you are a success. Ergo the mailman and the teacher really should shoulder the burdens of the economy because terrible things would happen if the billionaire had to pay more.

2) If you are job seeker who cannot find work in truly bad economy you are truly evil. You should be thrown out into the street and forced to repay every single cent you ever earned in employment. Because the real evil isn't the overfed CEO who underpays his workers or ships jobs to countries where they hire ten year olds. The real evil are the guys who want more than $5 an hour.

Call me a crazy liberal but no, I don't think that Lloyd Blankenfeld, CEO of Goldman Sachs is that much of a success no matter how much he's paid. I don't think success completely revolves around the money you make. I think a good teacher, a compassionate nurse, a firefighter who risks his life to save you from a burning building is far more successful than any overpaid CEO. I am sick to death of Republican hatred for the working class and their idiotic arguments otherwise. I am sick of hearing that unless you are one of the top 2% of earners in our society you are essentially worthless to our society.

The only thing worse than Obama's cowardice is Republican contempt. Worse their belief that we should borrow $900 million from China to pay for it.
I think you need some help in understanding this thing. The people you talk about do not work for the federal government so federal taxes aren't really anything you can throw them at us for being. Teachers do not work for the federal government, at all. Only firefighters like those that work at federal land preserves work for the government. Nurses usually are employed in private or local hospitals and only the mailmen really work for out federal government.

I tire of you left leaners talking about this since although some federal money finds its way into the pockets of the people you list they are not employed by that government.

Teachers, for example, work for local school districts not the federal government. Firefighters, largely, work for local people and so on.

Have I managed to miss the fact that the government means any government and not just the federal government? Has the federal government already taken over all government as many on the left are trying for? God, I hope that is not the case.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:25 PM

44,924 posts, read 27,032,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
You have it simply and perfectly incorrect. They are TEMPORARY tax CUTS, to previous TAX RATES. The length of time of the tax CUTS no matter how much you and the faux news attempt to harp on them, is moot. The tax CUTS were designed to be in effect for time A through time B, then sunset and RETURN to normal previously established, agreed upon RATES within the bill to enact the CUTS to the normal tax RATES.

A bill to EXTEND them would be a continuation of TAX CUTS of the previous normal tax RATES...hence the terminology....EXTENSION of Bush era TAX CUTS.

Is there a chance that this extension is a lot different than the extension of what started out to be unemployment payments for 6 months and was later extendedto 99 weeks and now is to be extended for God knows how long. Why is it that these extensions are so different? An extension is an extension.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
I'll never understand, why so many of you posters think that the unemployed are just 'sitting around loafing'. Most are doing some serious job-hunting. Problem is, jobs are just not available, for everyone who wants one. And the unemployment rate has been rising, not shrinking.

And I'm also tired, of unemployment benefits being called 'free money'. The unemployed paid into the unemployment system via being taxed, when they were working. Then, they have to pay taxes on UI benefits AGAIN, when they file federal and state taxes, at the end of the year. So calling UI 'free money', is absolutely absurd!

You sound like you're jealous of the unemployed. How would you like to try and make ends meet on the avarage unemployment benefit check, which averages only a little over $300 a week?? It's hard enough for a single person to live on that, but it's even worse, for those who are trying to support families.
No, I just think that welfare should be a temporary aid to those who need it most. Our taxpayer money would be better spent on job programs and/or technical schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies