U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
12,775 posts, read 7,380,841 times
Reputation: 13043

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Stars created ALL the elements we know of and the elements that make us up. If it weren't for stars in general we would not exist. All of those could be higher powers.
So, we are back to sun worship!
I guess the ancients had it right all along.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:52 AM
 
62,405 posts, read 27,771,221 times
Reputation: 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So? Every single letter on money is capitalized. That's just stylistic.
More specifically, the first letter of every word in the motto is capitalized, even when the rest of the letters are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:02 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,724,642 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
More specifically, the first letter of every word in the motto is capitalized, even when the rest of the letters are not.
No, again, that is factually incorrect. The congressional resolution that designates our "official" motto does not capitalize either "we" or "trust". You can certainly choose to capitalize the first word of every letter when you write it, but that's not how the 84th congress wrote it down in the official congressional record.

And again, it's only the "official" motto in the sense that the 84th congress passed a resolution saying so (it's not even clear if they did a roll-call vote - most congressional resolutions are passed on a yea/nay voice vote). There was no presidential involvement, and like all congressional resolutions, it holds no legal weight whatsoever.

"In God we trust" is our official motto in the same what that July 2007 is officially "National Watermelon Month" or that September 23rd 2010 is officially "National Falls Prevention Awareness Day" (yes, those are actual congressional resolutions).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:07 PM
 
62,405 posts, read 27,771,221 times
Reputation: 7867
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No, again, that is factually incorrect. The congressional resolution that designates our "official" motto does not capitalize either "we" or "trust". You can certainly choose to capitalize the first word of every letter when you write it, but that's not how the 84th congress wrote it down in the official congressional record.

And again, it's only the "official" motto in the sense that the 84th congress passed a resolution saying so (it's not even clear if they did a roll-call vote - most congressional resolutions are passed on a yea/nay voice vote). There was no presidential involvement, and like all congressional resolutions, it holds no legal weight whatsoever.
That's not what the U.S. Treasury says.
https://ustreas.gov/education/fact-s...we-trust.shtml
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,055,031 times
Reputation: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, we are back to sun worship!
I guess the ancients had it right all along.
The ancients thought that sun revolved around the Earth. So NO they were not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:10 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
Reputation: 7955
'In us we trust' would be nice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:11 PM
 
16,553 posts, read 11,055,031 times
Reputation: 4218
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not what the U.S. Treasury says.
https://ustreas.gov/education/fact-s...we-trust.shtml
Quite telling that everytime the phrase is used in that article all letters are capital.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
Reputation: 7955
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Quite telling that everytime the phrase is used in that article all letters are capital.
Probably because nobody ever knew what was meant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:15 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 10,724,642 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
That's not what the U.S. Treasury says.
https://ustreas.gov/education/fact-s...we-trust.shtml
I didn't go to your link because my computer told me it's a security risk.

I will point out, however, that making "In God we trust" the national motto was a different congressional act than putting the same phrase on our money (putting it on the money predated making it the motto). While related, they're different issues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:18 PM
 
Location: West Coast of Europe
19,865 posts, read 18,316,772 times
Reputation: 7955
In the 19th century everybody was religious, thus such phrases were no problem back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top