U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 09:56 AM

62,458 posts, read 27,779,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Being sensitive to a situation is smart.
Openly telling untruths is an indication you can't be trusted.

It was entirely appropriate for Obama to cite that particular dictum, but calling it the U.S. motto when it is very easy to verify that it is not incites distrust. Other countries will no doubt be wondering either of the following...

What else doesn't Obama know?

What else is Obama going to lie to us about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Being sensitive to a situation is smart.
We all use diplomacy in our lives. If a peer of your supervisor, who, hypothetically, you hated, asked you what you thought of that person, are you really going to say the truth at the risk of losing a job that you otherwise love?
Not when the truth is easily verified because it was an Act of Congress.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Take your crystal ball back to Walmart where you bought it, it is defective.
Oohh. Seems like I touched a sore spot, there.

I have never shopped at Walmart; if I did, I would expect a crystal ball from there to be defective.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:11 AM

19,865 posts, read 18,321,358 times
He says mottoES at the beginning.
Apart from that I guess the one he picked is way more appropriate for a modern country than the old god crap.
How could Obama say in god we trust, when he knows very well that there are tens of millions of atheists in his country? Do you expect him to lie? After all he was speaking on behalf of the American people...
I'm starting to feel sorry for that guy, no president deserves the current American people

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

16,553 posts, read 11,056,498 times
Quote:
Oohh. Seems like I touched a sore spot, there.

I have never shopped at Walmart; if I did, I would expect a crystal ball from there to be defective.
No sore spot, you just think you KNOW what everyone else wants. Typical for a Progressive... I see you never answered my question to you about a higher power. Is that a sore spot for you?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:13 AM

19,447 posts, read 13,193,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

Obama Motto

The U.S. Motto is "In God We Trust."

The U.S. Motto on our money is what he quoted.

This is totally indicative of what he thinks of this country. I usually don't get personal or disrespectful - but he sucks as a representative of this country.

Letter from the Congressional Prayer Caucus
Imagine if this was Palin. but since it's "The 0ne" the left will roll their eyes and watch his inauguration again.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 AM

12,775 posts, read 7,382,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In what case does a motto force specific behavior? It doesn't. You have no point.
Because a country's 'motto' should stand for ALL of the people of that country. All should be able to relate to their country's motto.

Point made.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Apart from that I guess the one he picked is way more appropriate for a modern country than the old god crap.
How could Obama say in god we trust, when he knows very well that there are tens of millions of atheists in his country? Do you expect him to lie? After all he was speaking on behalf of the American people...
I'm starting to feel sorry for that guy, no president deserves the current American people
He can't change the facts, he just can't. He can try, but he can't do it. And you are another one who doesn't know what the word GOD means in this context. Are you saying that atheists believe man is the most powerful force ever created? Is that what you honestly want to say?

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
But then he goes on to say what the U.S. motto is, and he gets that wrong.

Quote:
Do you expect him to lie?
He did lie. Which is why other countries may be wondering what else he is lying to them about.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Because a country's 'motto' should stand for ALL of the people of that country. All should be able to relate to their country's motto.

Point made.
Everyone CAN relate to it. It means a higher power. If anyone thinks that man is the most powerful force ever created, you have issues. People like that are megalomaniacs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies