Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times

Advertisements

The apple doesn't fall to far from the tree...his mother being a prime example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 10:17 AM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Because a country's 'motto' should stand for ALL of the people of that country. All should be able to relate to their country's motto.
Your belief does not a Congressional Act make.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:24 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
He can't change the facts, he just can't. He can try, but he can't do it. And you are another one who doesn't know what the word GOD means in this context. Are you saying that atheists believe man is the most powerful force ever created? Is that what you honestly want to say?
Let me put it this way, I can't think of any being atheists would consider superior to humans, except maybe even more advanced extraterrestrials.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
But then he goes on to say what the U.S. motto is, and he gets that wrong.

He did lie. Which is why other countries may be wondering what else he is lying to them about.
He should have said one of our mottoes is, or avoided the word motto altogether... Else he was forced to lie either way.
Nor would the god motto have fitted in with the rest of what he said, anyway.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Overreact much people?

A motto is an informal type of thing (unlike a dictum which is formal). Here is the dictionary definition of motto:

"1: a sentence, phrase, or word inscribed on something as appropriate to or indicative of its character or use
2: a short expression of a guiding principle"

Just because a particular congress in 1956 passed an "Official" motto doesn't mean the US hasn't had and doesn't have other mottoes. If we really want to nitpick, then why not attack the 1956 congress for its misuse of language - by formalizing (codifying) "In God We Trust", it's technically not a motto, but instead a dictum.

There are three mottoes on our national seal (the seal design, including the inclusion of these mottoes, was approved by an act of congress):

E pluribus unum, Annuit cœptis, Novus ordo seclorum.

It is absolutely appropriate to refer to any of these 4 phrases as a motto of the United States.

Last edited by hammertime33; 12-10-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
He should have said one of our mottoes is, or avoided the word motto altogether... Else he was forced to lie either way.
Incorrect. The only motto the U.S. has ever officially had is "In God We Trust." Research it.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:32 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
No sore spot, you just think you KNOW what everyone else wants. Typical for a Progressive... I see you never answered my question to you about a higher power. Is that a sore spot for you?
When did I say I know what everyone wants? I suggested that the majority of Americans would 'guess' that our motto is e pluribus unum.

I'm not a progressive, whatever that is. Just an old lady who has had many years to observe and make up my own mind about things.

Funny how the constitution guarantees freedom of religion but the conservatives choose to ignore that part when they rave on and on about how far we, as a country, have strayed from that very same constitution.

It's also funny how they all boast about how moral and righteous they are when, in reality, they turn out to be the most immoral (politicians, I'm speaking of).

I have watched many science programs addressing the nature and beginnings of our universe. There are many intriguing theories. We may never know the origins of our universe. Created by god? So, where's god? What's god? God just IS? This we will never know, either. I just try to live a good life and whatever happens (if anything) after I die, well, I'll find out then. Maybe god is the original e pluribus unum!

Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Openly telling untruths is an indication you can't be trusted.

It was entirely appropriate for Obama to cite that particular dictum, but calling it the U.S. motto when it is very easy to verify that it is not incites distrust. Other countries will no doubt be wondering either of the following...

What else doesn't Obama know?

What else is Obama going to lie to us about?
I seriously doubt they will be wondering such things. These things are the purvue of bored, hateful people.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I seriously doubt they will be wondering such things. These things are the purvue of bored, hateful people.
Have you not been keeping up with the WikiLeaks coverage? Other countries ponder exactly those things about each other all the time.

And, are you calling other countries hateful?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM

On Wiki it mentions two interesting Supreme Court decisions on the god motto:

- ... it has lost through rote repetition any significant religious content". So-called acts of "ceremonial deism" that have lost their "history, character, and context"

- the nation's "institutions presuppose a Supreme Being" and that government recognition of god does not constitute the establishment of such a state church as the Constitution's authors intended to prohibit

I find the second one a bit problematic for a secular, diverse country...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies