U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:36 AM
 
29,988 posts, read 35,869,055 times
Reputation: 12719

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I'll bet that you would be the first one to scream "why are we wasting money on a space program" if Obama wanted to have a goal to, say, send people to Mars.

So he pulled the plug and you scream about that, too.

Says something, doesn't it..

Yeah, those nasty manufacturing regulations...who cares if a factory worker gets his hand cut off by a machine or gets burned alive from a blast of steam? Who cares if a hundred women die in a factory fire?

JUST GIMME MY STUFF!!

So now, it's the Chinese who are dying so you can have your stuff. At least it's not your fellow Americans' blood on your stuff now, right? You should be happy!
Apparently , unlike you, I recognize the scientific value of NASA. Should the waste have been cut, absolutely. You don't admit the irony of his statement because you are a similar ideologue.

Facts are plain and simple that the regulations and taxation placed on manufacturers along with mandatory minimum wages and union contracts have made it impossible for this country to compete in manufacturing against countries with lesser wages, regulations, no union labor, and corporate taxation.

I suggest you save your feigned outrage about "stuff" for the next product you purchase that is made in China, India, Mexico, or Pakistan. I often do without rather than purchasing products manufactured in those countries while going out of my way and paying more to purchase products "made in the USA" . My last vehicle was manufactured in a plant in my hometown, by a US corporation that did not accept a government buyout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM
 
29,806 posts, read 15,221,531 times
Reputation: 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A bit of irony for Obama to reference Sputnik after he pulled the plug on NASA and turned it into Muslim outreach.
And by "pulling the plug" we're supposed to understand increasing the budget, shutting down a couple of utterly mismanaged porkbarrel projects (looking at you, Ares-1) and looking to good old American private enterprise to provide LEO capacity?

Hey, look who just successfully orbited their Dragon capsule: SPACE.com -- MISSION UPDATE: SPLASHDOWN! SpaceX's Dragon Splashes Down in the Pacific Ocean

Falcon 9 was developed for less than the cost of the one-time dog-and-pony show known as Ares-1x. And Falcon 9 is 2 for 2 on successful flights to orbit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,759,687 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I believe it is because our society rewards failure and punishes success. With such a norm mediocrity is the only possible large scale result.
The Senate just extended the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1% of income earners. From 1979 to 2007 the incomes of the top 1% of income earners rose 214%. The income of middle income earners rose 25% and the income for low wage earners rose 8%.

Top group takes large slice of income growth

The top 10% of income earners was responsible for 63.7% of the income growth in this country from 1979 to 2007. The gap between the C.E.O pay and the lower income earners has NEVER been higher and the inequality between the richest and poorest Americans has NEVER been higher.

Not only is success rewarded in this country, it is rewarded like never before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:50 AM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,715 posts, read 22,339,583 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A bit of irony for Obama to reference Sputnik after he pulled the plug on NASA and turned it into Muslim outreach. Seriously, Democrats and their policies and regulations are exactly why the US lost its manufacturing base.
killing NASA really bugs me and not having our own space shuttle to replace the old ones is a step backwards IMO

we have to hitch rides from russia and china
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Great State of Texas
86,093 posts, read 69,914,204 times
Reputation: 27520
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The Senate just extended the Bush Tax Cuts for the top 1% of income earners. From 1979 to 2007 the incomes of the top 1% of income earners rose 214%. The income of middle income earners rose 25% and the income for low wage earners rose 8%.

Top group takes large slice of income growth

The top 10% of income earners was responsible for 63.7% of the income growth in this country from 1979 to 2007. The gap between the C.E.O pay and the lower income earners has NEVER been higher and the inequality between the richest and poorest Americans has NEVER been higher.

Not only is success rewarded in this country, it is rewarded like never before.
Correction..they extended the Bush cuts for ALL income earners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:54 AM
 
29,806 posts, read 15,221,531 times
Reputation: 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
killing NASA really bugs me and not having our own space shuttle to replace the old ones is a step backwards IMO
The work on a Shuttle replacement should have been remedied a decade ago. The Shuttles were never that great, but nobody wanted to look that in the eye. Now they're getting old. And the replacements were paper rockets.

The Augustine commission made the right recommendation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
 
28,906 posts, read 45,227,864 times
Reputation: 45815
It's not going to last long. Just this week, Space X launched a private space capsule with roughly 1/10th the staff of NASA. Virgin is putting the final touches to their space plane, too.

Of course, these are rudimentary efforts and, yes, mistakes will be made along the way. But given how quickly private enterprise works and how innovative it is, you can bet your bottom dollar that space travel will move forward relentlessly. All you needed to do is allow a profit and let government get out of the way. And none of that will be held hostage by some Senate budget committee or a newspaper columnist with an ax to grind, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 PM
 
10,963 posts, read 7,759,687 times
Reputation: 3113
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Apparently , unlike you, I recognize the scientific value of NASA. Should the waste have been cut, absolutely. You don't admit the irony of his statement because you are a similar ideologue.

Facts are plain and simple that the regulations and taxation placed on manufacturers along with mandatory minimum wages and union contracts have made it impossible for this country to compete in manufacturing against countries with lesser wages, regulations, no union labor, and corporate taxation.

I suggest you save your feigned outrage about "stuff" for the next product you purchase that is made in China, India, Mexico, or Pakistan. I often do without rather than purchasing products manufactured in those countries while going out of my way and paying more to purchase products "made in the USA" . My last vehicle was manufactured in a plant in my hometown, by a US corporation that did not accept a government buyout.

Please, corporate taxes are less than 20% of federal tax revenue. You could remove all the regulation you wanted to that still wouldn't change the fact that a certified public accountant in Sri Lanka makes $5900 a year while one in the United States makes $59,000. A worker in a solar factory panel factory in China makes $1.80 an hour and one in the United States makes $27.00. A software engineer in India makes 1/3 of what one does in the United States.

What is going on here is good old fashion capitalism. When capital is allowed to flow freely it was ALWAY flow to where it can make the MOST PROFIT given an investors risk tolerance. We have entered the age of what I call "Hyper-capitalism" capital flows are no longer constrained by international borders The amount of direct foreign investment by corporations in investors in the United States to other countries has increase 250% since 2001. While at the same time gross domestic investment has actually declined in the same time period. Even prior to the recession at its highest point it never increased by more than 13%. More money is sent out of the United States for investment than is being invested in the country.

Look at what is going on in America. An aging population with an employer based health insurance system, lower scholastic achievement in grades K-12 in the educational system, a consumer based economy where the middle wage incomes are stagnant and consumers are tapped out by taking on too much debt, a collapsed housing market and a crumbling national infrastructure.

Simply put there are just better places in the world for investors to spend their money in than the United States right now.

Last edited by JazzyTallGuy; 12-10-2010 at 12:20 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:14 PM
 
29,806 posts, read 15,221,531 times
Reputation: 15585
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
It's not going to last long. Just this week, Space X launched a private space capsule with roughly 1/10th the staff of NASA. Virgin is putting the final touches to their space plane, too.

Of course, these are rudimentary efforts...
I actually beg to differ on the "rudimentary" bit. SpaceX's launch would've worked just fine with astronauts in the Dragon capsule. (All they had was a wheel of cheese.) People to orbit, that's serious business.

Virgin - as much as I'm a Rutan fan - is rudimentary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-10-2010, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Vancouver, B.C., Canada
10,715 posts, read 22,339,583 times
Reputation: 5137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
And by "pulling the plug" we're supposed to understand increasing the budget, shutting down a couple of utterly mismanaged porkbarrel projects (looking at you, Ares-1) and looking to good old American private enterprise to provide LEO capacity?

Hey, look who just successfully orbited their Dragon capsule: SPACE.com -- MISSION UPDATE: SPLASHDOWN! SpaceX's Dragon Splashes Down in the Pacific Ocean

Falcon 9 was developed for less than the cost of the one-time dog-and-pony show known as Ares-1x. And Falcon 9 is 2 for 2 on successful flights to orbit.
that looks like it could maybe get us to the moon again which would be nice to see and maybe get younger generations more interested in space programs

going to the international space station is not as captivating as a man landing on the moon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top