U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 03:14 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,029,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I never said that Oprah should provide homes for all the homeless. I simply stated that the money she spent could have housed some homeless people. It is her money. No where in my OP did I state it wasn't her money to give. My point is that the "giving away shows" are insensitive in these bad financial times. Strange how so many responses assume that I was unaware that it was her money to give.
So you think in these 'bad financial times" no one should give anything away?

Like food to food shelves?

Like money to charities?

Like toys to Tots?

You're concerned about the venue???

Old 12-11-2010, 03:16 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,697,842 times
The thread: tl;dr
The OP: I think it's politically irrelevant, neither correct nor incorrect.
My opinion: If Oprah gave me a car, I'd say thank you. And if I couldn't afford the tax on it, I'd sell it for cash. I'd then use that smaller sum of cash to buy a new desk for my office, and maybe new paint on the walls in my house. I would then make a batch of sangria and toast my good fortune in having shown up to the Oprah show that day.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:17 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,309,180 times
Quote:
I don't think sponsors are giving the gifts. They most likely cut Oprah a good deal but she is the one spending the money.
Many of the product giveaways on a lot of shows are provided by the sponsor.

If you actually paid attention, you would hear Oprah state something like, "Appple is giving an iPad to everyone in our audience. Here's and iPad for you. Here's an iPad for you..."

Same with Ellen. Same with Regis and Kelly.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:19 PM

9,881 posts, read 8,762,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So you think in these 'bad financial times" no one should give anything away?

Like food to food shelves?

Like money to charities?

Like toys to Tots?

You're concerned about the venue???
No, I support charities. I wouldn't support a program that asked me to give vacation trips or Ipads to families who could not otherwise afford them. Woud you? You seem to miss my point that the gifts that Oprah is giving are frivolous.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Many of the product giveaways on a lot of shows are provided by the sponsor.

If you actually paid attention, you would hear Oprah state something like, "Appple is giving an iPad to everyone in our audience. Here's and iPad for you. Here's an iPad for you..."

Same with Ellen. Same with Regis and Kelly.
It would be good to know if the sponsors donated the gifts. If they did I think the show would have to have stated that the gifts were donated by sponsers.

Last edited by pommysmommy; 12-11-2010 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 12-11-2010, 03:24 PM

21,044 posts, read 19,029,455 times
Quote:
No, I support charities. I wouldn't support a program that asked me to give vacation trips or Ipads to families who could not otherwise afford them. Woud you? You seem to miss my point that the gifts that Oprah is giving are frivolous.
A car is frivolous?

And so what if you think they are? Maybe the people getting an Ipod don't think so...

Start your own show and you can give away socks or bars of soap and see how long you're on the air....LOL! What a thing to worry about!

Old 12-11-2010, 03:35 PM

A car is frivolous if one already owns a car and is planning to profit by selling the existing or new car for profit. Do you really think that everyone in the studio audience did not have a car? FWIW I am not "worrying" about it and I am surprised that so many missed the point.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:47 PM

26,501 posts, read 24,253,034 times
I wouldn't worry too much about the people here who are being critical of Oprah for giving gifts to her studio audience. It sounds like some people just need something to complain about, and they'll come up with anything. To the rest of us, it looks petty and ridiculous.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:51 PM

6,007 posts, read 13,197,732 times
Quote:
It would be good to know if the sponsors donated the gifts. If they did I think the show would have to have stated that the gifts were donated by sponsers.
they do and common sense would suggest that Oprah or any of these people are not buying these items w/ their own money any more than Bob Barker spent his own cash on the cars given away on The Price is Right. it's a form of advertising for them and such promotions are taken into in the company's bottom line. and what better way to push your products than on Oprah? she likely hypes up the stuff she gives away (don't really know, have never seen an episode)

you still haven't explained, why Oprah? why are you just picking on her when other shows do this?

Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM

How did you obtain your position as spokesperson for "the rest of us"? lol Is this likened to being a legend in one's own mind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.