Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2010, 06:47 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,411,687 times

Advertisements

It's her money and her bad judgement. Did you look at the things that were given away at great expense?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:48 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
It's her money and her bad judgement. Did you look at the things that were given away at great expense?
No, not much of a television person at all. Pop culture really doesn't interest me. I maybe watch her show once a year.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
No, not much of a television person at all. Pop culture really doesn't interest me. I maybe watch her show once a year.
Read back. There is a link to Oprah's Favorite things that were given to studio audiences at her expense. There was a car, a cruise and a myriad of expensive things that most working class people would never buy.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:53 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,015,863 times
Quote:
So why would Oprah last year think it was inappropriate to bestow such lavish gifts due to the lean economy and then decide to go forward this year (still a lean economy) for her season finale?
isn't there more important things for you to ponder in the world? some of these questions are just silly at best. isn't it obvious oprah wanted to end her amazing 25 years with a bang? rich or poor everyone likes a gift. you wanna be mad at a woman who gives away perhaps billions of dollars to worthwhile causes that she isn't giving enough gad, BAH HUG.

do you have a problem with bill gates, warren buffet, ted turner and all the other philanthropists in the world?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,776,455 times
Quote:
So why would Oprah last year think it was inappropriate to bestow such lavish gifts due to the lean economy and then decide to go forward this year (still a lean economy) for her season finale?
Um, because it's her season finale, and because her next season will begin on her new network, which rolls out January 1, and this is all part of her PR. That's kinda the point of commercial television. To sell stuff. In Oprah's case, she sells her own brand. Which is, unremarkably, called OWN. The Oprah Winfrey Network.

I don't even watch all that much TV at all, and I knew that. Sheesh. Wake up and smell the caramel skinny chai tea, dood.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Read back. There is a link to Oprah's Favorite things that were given to studio audiences at her expense. There was a car, a cruise and a myriad of expensive things that most working class people would never buy.

which is why people were happy to get them. by the way have you ever considered that some of these people may have "re-gifted" most of us here would love to be able to spoil people who need it, and make others have a comfortable life if it was in our power to do so. it is in oprah's power and she does it well

Old 12-11-2010, 06:59 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,711,783 times
Quote:
That rather sounds like fun. It's been such a long, tough recession...maybe a little fun isn't such a terrible thing.

I do commend you for an earlier post concerning your gift giving this year.

Old 12-11-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
isn't there more important things for you to ponder in the world? some of these questions are just silly at best. isn't it obvious oprah wanted to end her amazing 25 years with a bang? rich or poor everyone likes a gift. you wanna be mad at a woman who gives away perhaps billions of dollars to worthwhile causes that she isn't giving enough gad, BAH HUG.

do you have a problem with bill gates, warren buffet, ted turner and all the other philanthropists in the world?
Do you feel comfortable trying to diminish me as a person for posting something of concern to me? If you do, more power to you. I am not mad or angry. I posted a reasonable question that did not call for an unreasonable reponse. You are the one who seems to be angry. I have never seen any other billionaires making a public spectacle about giving away money. Have you?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Um, because it's her season finale, and because her next season will begin on her new network, which rolls out January 1, and this is all part of her PR. That's kinda the point of commercial television. To sell stuff. In Oprah's case, she sells her own brand. Which is, unremarkably, called OWN. The Oprah Winfrey Network.

I don't even watch all that much TV at all, and I knew that. Sheesh. Wake up and smell the caramel skinny chai tea, dood.
Assuming you are right doesn't that make her a phony?

Old 12-11-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Do you feel comfortable trying to diminish me as a person for posting something of concern to me? If you do, more power to you. I am not mad or angry. I posted a reasonable question that did not call for an unreasonable reponse. You are the one who seems to be angry. I have never seen any other billionaires making a public spectacle about giving away money. Have you?
not angry at all, nor trying to diminish you just wondering why with all the things going on in the world anyone would really care that someone like ophra who gives away billions of dollars isn't giving away more, or is giving too much. some of these questions have to be rhetorical, surely you know the answers.

I have seen plenty of billionaires make a spectacle of giving away their money. in fact I think bill and warren did it on the oprah show.

it seems to most people who have posted in this thread to wonder about oprah's motivation, to question a her generosity seems a bit disingenuous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies