Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the motive behind Buffett wanting to tax the rich more?
He wants to tax the rich (himself) more because he's a masochist and wants to see everyone suffer. 1 7.14%
He wants to tax the rich more (middle class less) because his businesses that cater to middle class will increase earnings. 13 92.86%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:37 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times

Advertisements

Warren Buffett is without a doubt an impressive success story. His background and personality add interesting elements to his image. As much as I know him, or observe him, he seems like a decent fella.

However, unless they are government officials (Robert Rubin), I tend to be weary of very rich people serving as pundits. Political affiliation does not matter. These guys live in a different world.

Not saying he is doing anything wrong. Just saying we should all remember who he is whenever he opens his mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:38 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
If you pay in a year what he pays in a day, you'd be broke.
Not so fast. Buffets wealth has grown, but not his salary, and we tax salaries in america.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
It evens out though if you think about it. Buffett pays TONS of taxes, even if he only pays a 15% tax rate. But we really shouldn't be treating someone making $100 Million a year different than someone making $100k a year, should we?
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
He said lower taxes for middle class and upper middle class. That includes 250k.
Which would include himself..
Warren Buffett still gets $100K salary at Berkshire Hathaway, but security costs grow to $345K

Old 12-10-2010, 08:48 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,136,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The only thing your post proves is that it's outside you limited range of thinking that a rich person can also believe that the current taxation system unfairly favors high income individuals.

Believe it or not it's possible to be rich without being greedy. If you are a Conservative that may be hard to understand.
My sentiments exactly...

I guess Conservatives are just so fundamentally selfish, that they can't fathom when people want what's best for others not like them.

Makes me think of Michael Moore, they can't deal that this rich film-maker would rearrange the world a bit so he wouldn't make so much more than the plummeting middle class. He should be admired but they just call him fat.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
I'm conservative but not a Conservative. There is a difference.
The greedy rich you speak of are not the ones you see in the press calling for more taxes.
They are the quiet ones; the ones amassing more wealth than they could ever spend in their lifetimes or their kids lifetimes.

You're barking up the wrong tree by going after wealthy individuals that speak in public regarding taxes and imbalance.

Who are you to determine what's best for others using other people's money ?
Who has the right to take from one and give to another ?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:13 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
He's a cruel hoax. He wants to see the rich get taxed more so that his businesses can increase profits! That's what it's all about, he wants to HELP the shrinking middle class by stealing from the rich. After all, Berkshire Hathaway owns businesses that cater to the middle class (Coca Cola, carpeting, insurance, banking, housing etc.. LINKS TO BERKSHIRE HATHAWAY SUB. COMPANIES)
What do you think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dePMo9MK30
It is very simple..........Buffet is a liberal and he and Bill Gates and many others are proof positive that the notion that the Republican party is the party of the rich is ridiculous. Liberals believe in higher taxes........do you really think that a guy that can afford to give as many Billions of dollars away as Buffet and Gates have are worried about being in a higher tax bracket?

Old 12-10-2010, 09:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
It is very simple..........Buffet is a liberal and he and Bill Gates and many others are proof positive that the notion that the Republican party is the party of the rich is ridiculous. Liberals believe in higher taxes........do you really think that a guy that can afford to give as many Billions of dollars away as Buffet and Gates have are worried about being in a higher tax bracket?
They have no qualms because their wealth is protected and hedged via trust funds, foundations, etc.
They will pay no increased taxes on their wealth.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:32 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
My sentiments exactly...

I guess Conservatives are just so fundamentally selfish, that they can't fathom when people want what's best for others not like them.

Makes me think of Michael Moore, they can't deal that this rich film-maker would rearrange the world a bit so he wouldn't make so much more than the plummeting middle class. He should be admired but they just call him fat.
LOL! What a load of dung.

Michael Moore? A maker of fancy montages masquerading as documentaries would "rearrange the world a bit." What does that mean? The Khmer Rouge marching all the wealthy out to the fields?

You do know Moore is VERY wealthy?

Moore's films, as much as they can be called that, are all about HIM. Either recognize that or find a new role model.

And he is indeed frightfully fat. Arrogant, loud, and a bit pretentious as well.

Old 12-10-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They have no qualms because their wealth is protected and hedged via trust funds, foundations, etc.
They will pay no increased taxes on their wealth.
BINGO.. I wish many in america understood this. People can support a 100% tax rate if their assets are protected and they arent subject to paying them.. We all know already that Buffet has donated his money, and will donate the balance of his "wealth" to the Gates Foundation upon his death. If he felt so stronly about higher taxes, his charity would have been the US Government or he would have paid the estate tax when he died instead of going through such great lenghts to avoid paying..

Old 12-10-2010, 09:45 AM

Quote:
My sentiments exactly...

Yeah, that Michael Moore, the guy who attacked people for taking money from the government, applies to take money from the government himself.

After Attacking Tax Credit for Movie Makers, Michael Moore Asks Struggling Michigan to Give Him the Tax Credit to Help Cover Cost of Anti-Capitalist Movie | CNSnews.com (http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/60743 - broken link)

Old 12-10-2010, 09:49 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Quote:
My sentiments exactly...

Oh please. That post as as much BS as a Nebraska feedlot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies