U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 08:14 AM

19,556 posts, read 18,740,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They wonder why business is leaving in droves.

Then they scream "no jobs, it is the corporations."
They feel business is just there to employ someone... Clueless!
So businesses ARE leaving in droves,because the business can improve profits by going overseas,is that what you are stating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM

1,785 posts, read 2,921,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Jobs are booming outside the US.
Plants and buildings are being built outside the US.

Since we have no qualms about buying imports the offshoring will continue.
You have seen what is going on in Ireland - and before that, Greece? The financial impact of the bankruptcy of those countries are threatening the stability of the mighty Euro, and that in turn has led to fears about the strength of the British Pound.

It's not just here - Europe is facing their problems. I'm not up on what is going on in Asia, so I will be happy to cede that point to you. But trust me, other places in Europe are really feeling the impact too.

I'm with one of the other posters on this thread. In no small measure, I believe that some of the US employers are definitely taking advantage of this crisis by not hiring and making one person do the job of 2 with the threat hanging over their head that if they won't do the work, he can find 10 other people that will.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:16 AM

86,093 posts, read 69,893,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
It does make a person wonder why the USA cannot seem to get out of this depression...and other nations seem to be, slowly but surely getting better economically.
Not just the US is stuck in a slump...most of the first world countries are in the same position; actually one step ahead of us with their austerity plans.

The emerging countries are rising; they are not saddled with debt and their governments welcome new businesses.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 AM

19,556 posts, read 18,740,290 times
Australia is actually doing okay..wonder what it did differently?

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM

29,112 posts, read 18,387,216 times
Why there are so few new jobs?

Because when the middle class is becoming poorer and the majority of our population is losing buying power, our spending habits can no longer support companies and businesses.

There is a growing imbalance of our nations wealth. It is funneling up to the top 1-2% of the wealthy. This 1-2% of our population cannot and will not spend enough to support our economy.

This is like a Monopoly game. When the rich become the winners and bankrupt everyone else, the game is over!

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM

60,150 posts, read 30,614,837 times
The corporations our government has every liberal so PO'ed at, no longer manufacture here and sell what they manufacture here. They have all become importers, with their employed workers still making the products. The thing is, those workers are not Americans now.

What protected us all those years from this very thing happening?

Heck, If is OK to move all regulated parts of my business to a foreign nation, where as a bonus labor is 1/10 the cost, meaning I can produce more at less cost, I will be able to undercut my competition on price. Well the competition woke up and are too, doing the very same thing. What's stopping them? What protected us all those years from this very thing happening?

Can we blame all this on Trade Tariffs being lowered and lowered, and finally eliminated under Bill Clinton in 2000.
Hmmm? The year 2000, lets time-line this to see when manufacturing really up and left overnight.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:19 AM

10,963 posts, read 7,757,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Its not that. Give me a break. Its b/c they uses the excuse of the bad economy to cut jobs, then they made those they kept work twice as hard and profits are up with less overhead. They don't want to hire to cut profits.

Wall Street had record bonuses, why don't you complain about that.
Once America corporations find out they can do more with less and still reap record profits they have NO MOTIVATION to hire more workers.

In most cases salaried employees don't get overtime. They just work harder. Corporations know if there is any complaining they can easily find somebody to take a disgruntled worker's place.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:20 AM

10,963 posts, read 7,757,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why there are so few new jobs?

Because when the middle class is becoming poorer and the majority of our population is losing buying power, our spending habits can no longer support companies and businesses.

There is a growing imbalance of our nations wealth. It is funneling up to the top 1-2% of the wealthy. This 1-2% of our population cannot and will not spend enough to support our economy.

This is like a Monopoly game. When the rich become the winners and bankrupt everyone else, the game is over!
Not everyone is becoming bankrupt. But the rich will definitely get richer.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:24 AM

22,770 posts, read 25,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Tom Donohue, the president of the U.S. Chamber of Commerce says
the U.S. Chamber of Commerce is not some kind of "think tank" that analyzes what is good for the nation. This is one of the biggest "Special interest" lobbying groups in America. They have an agenda, and their "policy recommendations" consider only what is good for their members, at the expense of everyone else.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/us...mber.html?_r=1

^look at the graph on the left. they spend more money in elections than anyone outside of the Republican and Democratic parties. During the election, the US Chamber of Commerce was sending me fliers every day, talking about "Pelosi, Reid and Obama.."

Last edited by le roi; 12-10-2010 at 08:35 AM..

Old 12-10-2010, 08:28 AM

29,112 posts, read 18,387,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Not everyone is becoming bankrupt. But the rich will definitely get richer.
We are on a trend of a lower standard of living, less buying power, and the loss of middle class. The number of poor will steadily increase in this country as has been the trend in the past ten years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies