Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 01:52 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,978,392 times

Advertisements

The only thing about that map that surprises me was how bad the jobless rate exploded on the Southern East Coast....Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina.....I just didn't know that area was that hard hit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 01:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
The only thing about that map that surprises me was how bad the jobless rate exploded on the Southern East Coast....Georgia, Virginia, North Carolina.....I just didn't know that area was that hard hit.
A lot of banks had regional headquarters there..when RE exploded the area got hit hard with unemployment as the banks went belly up or closed up shop.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:08 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,365,699 times
Thanks for the link, I've seen this map before but not recently with it up dated...my area went purple then black PDQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
We all need to move to where the unemployment rate is still low so that it will be high everywhere.
LOL, there is one large county in SW Idaho I've watched and it seems to have a real good rate, so I looked at the county and guess why it has a good UI rate...NO PEOPLE. I'd LOVE to move but the RE market died and I can't unless I can sell my home to have $$$ to move

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
A lot of banks had regional headquarters there..when RE exploded the area got hit hard with unemployment as the banks went belly up or closed up shop.
Yup, I'm in NE GA and we were hit really hard, Atlanta is 2nd only to Los Angeles in the top 10 hardest hit cities, I don't live in ATL but our local economy is tied to how well ATL is doing.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:13 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Thanks for the link, I've seen this map before but not recently with it up dated...my area went purple then black PDQ

LOL, there is one large county in SW Idaho I've watched and it seems to have a real good rate, so I looked at the county and guess why it has a good UI rate...NO PEOPLE. I'd LOVE to move but the RE market died and I can't unless I can sell my home to have $$$ to move

Yup, I'm in NE GA and we were hit really hard, Atlanta is 2nd only to Los Angeles in the top 10 hardest hit cities, I don't live in ATL but our local economy is tied to how well ATL is doing.
Google Maps It looks like on of these people lost their job and the unemployment rate went up.

I found the locale airport. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie...,0.009484&z=17

Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 AM

19,025 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Instead of subsidizing unemployment, let's try something different:
Dr Evil Dictator's sure fire cure for unemployment

Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 AM

9 posts, read 23,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I came across a great link that graphicly shows the progression of unemployment in our country. It really is dispiriting. Hopefully the graph will turn around now that the top 1% are getting their bush cuts to remain in place. This all tends to put things in perspective. After watching this, I can't believe anyone would want to cut off benefits and say people should just go out and get a job.

multimediafinal (http://cohort11.americanobserver.net/latoyaegwuekwe/multimediafinal.html - broken link)
sad to know, but lets hope for the best

Last edited by JMT; 12-20-2010 at 08:44 AM.. Reason: Advertisements are not allowed.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:40 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And what is sad is that the BLS is ever so slightly changing underlying numbers and is not reported by the MSM.

Two factors being changed that effect the published number are Birth Death model and percentage of workers.

Birth/death model are new jobs created or killed. The BLS seems to think many new jobs are CREATED each month which decreased the published number.

Percentage in the employment pool has been going down..65% I believe is the last number.
How can that be if we have all these new college graduates and high school graduates ENTERING the job market ?

Both of these numbers impact the final published numbers yet little if any analysis is done by the press.

That's why I follow shadowstats. They don't change the underlying numbers.
They show unemployment at around 22%. Given that 3 years of UE benefits is happening I believe shadowstats over the BLS figures of 9.8%. U6 is rarely spoken of and that is near 18%.

People are only too willing to believe the fuzzy numbers coming from government agencies.
Well said

Old 12-20-2010, 08:24 PM

935 posts, read 2,411,588 times
Quote:
I believe it, but I've lived in that region for a while. However, I'm surprised that the eastern half of Virginia isn't doing any better. The main industries in this region are fast food and retail. A little more than half graduate with a high school diploma and 10% graduate with a bachelors degree or higher. There's a huge campaign going on in the state to encourage more businesses to come to this state and start hiring people. The western half is pretty bad, especially if you're overqualified for fast food and retail but cannot/prefer not to work in the coal mines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies