Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
anyways, anyone who has a brain would know that some people are greedy and some people are not. it's not a case of either just liberals or conservatives. and if someone is complaining someone has more than them, it's because of a system that they think is lopsided or unfair.
I had to shorten your posting reply down because the rest was tosd for personal attacks and absolutely positive didnt dispute a dam thing..

Of course some people are greedy and others arent.. Many of the non greedy are living in monestaries or voluteering their life without salaries. To pretend everyone else who functions in socity isnt greedy is just silly. You guys all sit here complaining about how others have more.. I hate to tell you but thats greed. Pure greed. If it wasnt greed then you would care less about what others have.. That system they think is lopsided or unfair, is because of greed, because they werent as successful as others, that they want the system to be lopsided in their favor and its unfair that others were able to "take advantage" of the system.. Again.. thats greed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 11:14 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There has always been cheaper labor in other parts of the world.

Why in the last 10 years have we as a nation, seen jobs flee to other nations and other nations workers doing work here, illegally undercutting the American worker, for the last 25 years?
I think you need to check the history of this.

Actually many factory jobs left this nation in starting in the late 1970's. From the last 1970 to the early 1980's this country was in a severe economic recession that saw the loss of a huge number manufacturing jobs that NEVER came back to the United States. That's why you have a huge swath of the country from Western Pennsylanvia to Illinois known as the "Rust Belt".

Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM

871 posts, read 1,630,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I dont think Warren Buffet for example continues to build wealth out of greed, do you? Donald Trump.. Nope.. Do you think Bill Gates continues to create new editions of Windows just so he can donate the profits? For some people, its the art of the deal.. Its the challenge of getting the impossible done. Its doing what others said couldnt be done.. Its the challenge, not the profit that motivates them.

Why else would billionaires take their whole life to obtain wealth only to give it away?
unfortunately, this post is too simplistic. the problem is multi-faceted. also, some are motivated by greed and some don't give it away and it's also about context as well within a system.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Poor comparison...

What corporations are doing is not in the best interest of the USA or it's people,it is however in the best interest of the corporation.

Thing is,some people here and in the gov. confuse the corporations best interests with the nations and it's people.
nope.. not a poor comparison at all. You can ignore the comparison because it proves you wrong but the comparison stays. You also can choose to take job A over job B because one pays $.50 more.. is that greedy? If you were not greedy, wouldnt you make your decision based upon what company was better for the nation, not yourself?

Old 12-10-2010, 11:20 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,026 times
Quote:
I dont think Warren Buffet for example continues to build wealth out of greed, do you? Donald Trump.. Nope.. Do you think Bill Gates continues to create new editions of Windows just so he can donate the profits? For some people, its the art of the deal.. Its the challenge of getting the impossible done. Its doing what others said couldnt be done.. Its the challenge, not the profit that motivates them.

Why else would billionaires take their whole life to obtain wealth only to give it away?
These are all people who have destroyed businesses, careers, and lives for profit! What do you think motivated them... the public good?
Call it power, call it greed, call it vanity, call it what ever you want, the fact is when you act in a way which damages your City, your State, Your Country, and your people in order to enrichen yourself or your company you are a greedy self serving bastard, and deserve the hate you receive.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I meant to post this comment in this thread:

If we can compete with China and India with competitive production labor rates, then we will see millions and millions of jobs created virtually overnight as pretty much all companies involved in importing do not like it. It is a PITA on a monumental scale that nobody wants the headache of, they only forced to do it because the labor rates in the U.S. are so expensive.

If we ever really accept the idea of a sustainable economy, we'll have to get used to the idea of much more expensive stuff. For instance, you can buy appliance made in Germany. They cost more, but they are made by 1st world workers. America used to do the same thing. Same with cameras, TVs, etc.
I'm not sure that I agree with you "Buy more expensive stuff" premise. I have car I brought 15 years ago with about 196,000 and yes it's American made. Generally speaking people have better quality more durable cars, household appliances and electronics than they had 50 years ago.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:23 AM

3,282 posts, read 5,201,780 times
Quote:

I think we're talking about different things or perhaps there's a miscommunication in here.

What you're describing isn't really problematic to me. It's a desire for more that's a means to an end, a better product. Where I become doubtful is that this is the motivation for most major corporations which move their operations to lower cost areas. Considering the reduction in quality of product and service that often results from this, I doubt that's the whole story. What I suspect is the motivator for a lot is the desire for more that's an end in itself.

IOW I'm not saying what you're describing is bad, just that I'm not sure it's the primary motivation in most cases. Otherwise all of these companies moving their manufacturing to Mexico or China would be using the savings to make a superior quality product, which doesn't seem to be happening. In fact, some think there's a trend of moving operations back into the first world because the quality of product is deteriorating.

Or, like you said, they could just do automation which would cut their labour costs completely and allow them to invest more into he quality of the product.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
unfortunately, this post is too simplistic. the problem is multi-faceted. also, some are motivated by greed and some don't give it away and it's also about context as well within a system.
Not giving away your wealth isnt greed either. You are under no obligation to give your stuff away and not enjoy the benefits of your lifelong work.

To move this back to the topic.. Corporations are under a legal obligation to maximize rewards.. Thats not greed either, and if they happen to move their companies outside of the USA its for numerous reasons. Even if its due to lower labor costs, to pretend others dont move their companies here for other reasons is just silly. There are lots of foreign corporations that open up offices in america despite our higher than labor costs.

Microsoft for example had an opportunity several years ago to move to Canada. This would have shielded them from the hundreds of millions (dont recall the actual amount) in federal fines, allowed them to lower labor costs etc. Canada was even going to pay for a new headquarters etc and still Microsoft said no.

Microsoft contracts a lot of their stuff outside the country, and yes, this is to enjoy lower labor costs but they also have tens of thousands of employees here in america. If it was greed they would have been gone ages ago. For them I'm betting some of its the same reason I outsourced some of my programming, which is you keep people far apart working on seperate parts of the code to minimize anyone ripping off the code in total..

Its a liability issue, not a labor cost...

Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Wealth distribution has been going on for the past 50 years. That is the problem. The working class are fed up with being robbed for the benefit of the rich.
They can't be that fed up. The Senate just past a bill that extends the Bush Tax Cuts for another two years. There seems of plenty of support for this by Conservatives and it seems to cut across income levels.

Old 12-10-2010, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
These are all people who have destroyed businesses, careers, and lives for profit! What do you think motivated them... the public good?
Call it power, call it greed, call it vanity, call it what ever you want, the fact is when you act in a way which damages your City, your State, Your Country, and your people in order to enrichen yourself or your company you are a greedy self serving bastard, and deserve the hate you receive.
None of the individuals I listed have destroyed businesses, careers and lives for a profit. They might have generated profits at other individuals expenses but thats not their fault or their problem. Using your scenario, we should be buying ugos still because not buying them and buying better vehicles is greedy because the ugo investors lost money..

Really, you think we should be buying ugos still
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies