Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Even with the damage done by Skippy so far, he's going to have to make it worse yet for another Bush to have a shot. He's done a good job of spinning it so far to blame Bush.

Honestly? I think Ron Paul has a shot. This country is going to swing back hard to the right after the damage done by Skippy.
Economically Paul is very conservative, but on social issues he's moderate (and on certain issues more liberal than all but a few Dems).

Then again the old "Taft wing" of the GOP, which Paul would be at home in, practiced a very different kind of conservatism than what we see today. They were opposed to government power across the board including Prohibition and war.

Personally I'd like to see a Kucinich/Paul or a Paul/Kucinich ticket in order to smash the left/right paradigm and as orderly of a retreat from Empire as is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
It means annointing the first "black guy" that speaks proper english and went to the "right school" regardless of his questionable associations, background, and lack of experience.
Does it also mean making a president out of a guy just because his daddy was a president? Unless of course, you actually believe that Dubya would've become president if his last name was Jackson...and nobody is dumb enough to believe that! The Bush II presidency was affirmative action at it's finest. And you see the results.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Does it also mean making a president out of a guy just because his daddy was a president? Unless of course, you actually believe that Dubya would've become president if his last name was Jackson...and nobody is dumb enough to believe that!
Maybe in the 19th century someone with the last name of Jackson could've become president based on their last name (although if they had speaking skills like Bush they couldn't have lasted long in 19th century US politics)

But certainly not today. And Bush if not for his name would've never held any office higher than the Midland, Texas City Council.

Quote:
The Bush II presidency was affirmative action at it's finest. And you see the results.
Agreed. The Bush family is a textbook example of the negative effects of the worst kind of affirmative action.

Last edited by majoun; 12-13-2010 at 02:26 PM.. Reason: didn't want anyone to get the wrong idea, wanted to be more clear.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:48 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,599,129 times
Ron Paul can't win the nomination. McCain was the sorriest excuse for a candidate whom the Republicans have ever run. Mitt Romney abandoned his supporters in 2008. Jeb Bush is probably the only Republican who can beat Obama. Partisan Democrats like to imagine that Americans consider the Bush name to be the most ignominious in the world. But I suspect that there are many Americans who would happily trade an Obama for a Bush. The situation was more than a bit better two years ago.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Ron Paul can't win the nomination. McCain was the sorriest excuse for a candidate whom the Republicans have ever run. Mitt Romney abandoned his supporters in 2008. Jeb Bush is probably the only Republican who can beat Obama. Partisan Democrats like to imagine that Americans consider the Bush name to be the most ignominious in the world. But I suspect that there are many Americans who would happily trade an Obama for a Bush. The situation was more than a bit better two years ago.
Ever heard of Gary Johnson? I'd vote for him.
(Granted, to most Repubs on the boards, me saying I'd vote for a GOP candidate would probably be reason not to vote for said candidate....)

Old 12-13-2010, 01:53 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Maybe in the 19th century someone with the last name of Jackson could've become president based on their last name (although if they had speaking skills like Bush they couldn't have lasted long in 19th century US politics)

But certainly not today. And Bush if not for his name would've never held any office higher than the Midland, Texas City Council.

Agreed. The Bush family is a textbook example of the negative effects of affirmative action as much as any family in West Oakland, the Outer Mission, Hunter's Point, the Iron Triangle, East Palo Alto, Compton, etc.
West Oakland? East Palo Alto? Compton? Soooo...i fail to see the tie-in to Affirmative Action.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:56 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,563 times
I'm not going to read this thread, I'm just going to say this: If Jeb Bush runs, America will be the laughingstock of the globe. Three strikes, you're out (didn't we invent that game?).

Old 12-13-2010, 01:58 PM

8,886 posts, read 5,368,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I happily do 4 more years of Dubya, if BO would go.

Seriously, we need a few more years without a Bush in the White House. Anyone bearing the last name Clinton ditto.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
West Oakland? East Palo Alto? Compton? Soooo...i fail to see the tie-in to Affirmative Action.
People are fond of citing ills of ghetto families as being the result of AA.

IMO the Bush family is at least as much of a textbook example of bad effects of AA as any ghetto or barrio family - indeed more so, given that a family from EPA, the Acorn Projects, Richmond, etc. has no influence on US foreign policy or the management of the economy etc. (In fact, I'd be MORE likely to vote for a presidential candidate who came from the hood, because that would mean they had to overcome tremendous adversity.)

FWIW I believe in income based AA (which would continue to help people in West Oakland etc. as well as poor people of every race, religion, and gender), just not racially or gender based AA, and I don't believe in the type of AA that produced the Bush family or the House of Windsor etc. at all.

Last edited by majoun; 12-13-2010 at 02:46 PM..

Old 12-13-2010, 02:41 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Since it seems the American people have already forgotten all the damage his big brother has done to the country, does Jeb have a chance if he ran? I think Obama beats anyone else in 2012 especially if it is Palin. Jeb on the other hand might be the only one that the GOP have to take Obama down.
I think Jeb is the best Bush around, but I don't think now would be the time for him to seek the Presidency.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies