Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,706,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Firstly, his ability wasn't good enough. He was the Manchurian front man for a group of think tank ideologues pushing the country somewhere it should have never went.

Who says we ever had to? Lots of places are a threat, lots more a potential threat, that doesn't mean we "have to" invade a nation occupy it for a decade while bleeding the nation towards bankruptcy, over extended our troops, and diminishing the over all effectiveness of the military. It is a disaster that did not have to take place, it was desired.

You may feel differently but to say that we had to go for reasons we little people wouldn't understand is little more than the road to tyranny and obedience to the will of a minority group of men within our government. That just isn't a good enough reason, period.
If Bush's ability wasn't good enough then Obama can't even make the practice squad. I agree that the iraq war was mishandled. Isn't it great to play Monday morning quarterback? We obviously underestimated how hard it would be to win over the Iraqi people. I think we also underestimated the support that we would get from our allies. If we had the same support in 2003 that we had right after 9-11 then this would all be over now. Rumsfeld was probably the biggest problem. I don't know too many people who liked that guy. Bush kept a poor staff in his cabinet, and it cost him.
And, (obviously) Obama followed with a pathetic cabinet as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 12:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhound View Post
Ahhhh......................................

I see the Bush apologists are up in arms.....again!
So boys, when is lil' George going to be chiseled on Mount Rushmore?

Steve
Right after liberals manage to figure out how to say anything of substance..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Right after liberals manage to figure out how to say anything of substance..
wasn't it JFK who said "ask not what your country can do for you"?
I know... it was 40 years ago. BUT, that was the only quote that fit your description.

Bill Clinton's "substance" doesn't count.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:17 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
If Bush's ability wasn't good enough then Obama can't even make the practice squad. I agree that the iraq war was mishandled. Isn't it great to play Monday morning quarterback? We obviously underestimated how hard it would be to win over the Iraqi people. I think we also underestimated the support that we would get from our allies. If we had the same support in 2003 that we had right after 9-11 then this would all be over now. Rumsfeld was probably the biggest problem. I don't know too many people who liked that guy. Bush kept a poor staff in his cabinet, and it cost him.
And, (obviously) Obama followed with a pathetic cabinet as well.
No, I was calling this as bogus before the first boot ever stepped in the sands of Iraq, to the point where I was receiving death threats for merely asking for more substantive evidence in late 2002. I knew then, as I know now it was bunk, bogus and ill advised and those among our military who also suggested as I, were canned. Those who sought upward mobility of careers, toted the administrations line.

As to Obama, he hasn't managed our wars and occupations any better because there isn't anything left to manage but the time between now and when we are forced to bring our soldiers home. The primary reason I could never vote for Obama was his instance on pursuing the Bush foreign policy and the continuation of our disastrous wars. What angers me more about Obama is that I feel he took this aggressive escalation in Afghanistan only to remove the typical "the left is weak on security" issue away from the Republicans in 08. In my opinion, he used our troops and soldiers as political chips in order to gain office. Obama's words prior to his running for office of President were far different than when he started to campaign as each successive month that passed, he moved more and more to the right on foreign policy and sadly, the Democrats gave him a pass.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
wasn't it JFK who said "ask not what your country can do for you"?
I know... it was 40 years ago. BUT, that was the only quote that fit your description.
Would JFK be considered a liberal, or conservative in todays society?
Quote:
Bill Clinton's "substance" doesn't count.
What substance would that be? The one where they blamed the GOP for cutting spending, forcing people to become homeless, blamed right wingers for burning down black churches, where Hillary Clinton claimed that the GOP would cause people to choose between eating pet food, or healthcare, while then taking credit for the results of the cuts and the economic boom which resulted..

Old 12-11-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Would JFK be considered a liberal, or conservative in todays society?

What substance would that be? The one where they blamed the GOP for cutting spending, forcing people to become homeless, blamed right wingers for burning down black churches, where Hillary Clinton claimed that the GOP would cause people to choose between eating pet food, or healthcare, while then taking credit for the results of the cuts and the economic boom which resulted..
well, it's not your grandfathers democratic party anymore.

and, the only subsatnce that Bill Clinton had is probably still on Ms. Lewinsky's dress

Old 12-11-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
No, I was calling this as bogus before the first boot ever stepped in the sands of Iraq, to the point where I was receiving death threats for merely asking for more substantive evidence in late 2002. I knew then, as I know now it was bunk, bogus and ill advised and those among our military who also suggested as I, were canned. Those who sought upward mobility of careers, toted the administrations line.

As to Obama, he hasn't managed our wars and occupations any better because there isn't anything left to manage but the time between now and when we are forced to bring our soldiers home. The primary reason I could never vote for Obama was his instance on pursuing the Bush foreign policy and the continuation of our disastrous wars. What angers me more about Obama is that I feel he took this aggressive escalation in Afghanistan only to remove the typical "the left is weak on security" issue away from the Republicans in 08. In my opinion, he used our troops and soldiers as political chips in order to gain office. Obama's words prior to his running for office of President were far different than when he started to campaign as each successive month that passed, he moved more and more to the right on foreign policy and sadly, the Democrats gave him a pass.
yes, i could also see right through Obamas political BS. But, I don't agree that he has shifted more to the right on foreign policy. please elaborate...

Old 12-11-2010, 12:49 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,441,352 times
Quote:
you want to end the wars? How about we WIN the wars!
A very good point.

Bush had more than 7 years to win in Afghanistan and nearly 6 years to win in Iraq. He just turned both into unwinnable quagmires.

Why didn't he win either?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:23 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yeah, I get it.

People should be outraged over the stunts that Bush pulled.

The overheated rhetoric from the right about Obama is just phony outrage, fed by BS from Limbaugh, Beck, Palin, Fox and Co.
Do you believe "supremacy" is only about being better than black people or an elaborate rationale for slavery? You know these people act racist but can you discern that they're fumbling around to articulate something more than just an aspect of it (racism)?

Old 12-11-2010, 06:46 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
maybe there were 100,000 anti-war protesters. but, our country has millions of people.
Correct. 100,000 showed up at the national mall. Each major city and even smaller cities had their own protests that were significantly sized. You need only go to youtube archives and see chicago, nyc, san fran, seattle, grand rapids etc etc. If you really want to stick to your story you're telling yourself I can flood this thread with that footage.
So the war protest far exceeded the size of a vocal minority like Tea. What's more they did not have the benefit of unlimited media support and guidance (financial, coaching, installed talking points etc) as these individuals protesting war. I see a huge difference. Tea acts like Lyndon LaRouche supporters, and war protesters wanted their government to mind their own porch as proscribed by constitution.

Quote:
Most Americans wanted to oust Saddam.
Most Anericans had a long enough memory to recall that Republicans installed the creep (and fed taliban "freedom fighters" weaponry). Most Americans were very leery of our government 'reinstalling' only to repeat the cycle of stupidity. THIS American had to read news sources from abroad & listen to the meeting of Parliament to figure out whatever the hell it was my own government was doing. What's wrong with this picture?

Quote:
There is no doubt that it did not go as planned.
I disagree. It went precisely as PRE planned by a think tank ruling a party, and there was no low too low, no lie too egregious to speak, constitution be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies