U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 02:30 PM

29,988 posts, read 35,842,224 times

Advertisements

Did Nancy Pelosi not claim that unemployment benefits were the fastest way to get money back into the economy? Did the Republicans not just compromise with Obama and agree to extending unemployment benefits for those not already funded out to 99 weeks?

So why then is the Progressive left wanting to keep the unemployed from getting benefits at Christmas time AND further drive down the economy? Why play Grinch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 02:33 PM

86,093 posts, read 69,870,497 times
Wait a minute..last week it was the Republicans who wanted to take away the $$$ from the unemployed and the right was ok with it.

Now the tables have turned 360 and it's NOT ok ?

Old 12-10-2010, 02:47 PM

5,370 posts, read 4,484,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Did Nancy Pelosi not claim that unemployment benefits were the fastest way to get money back into the economy? Did the Republicans not just compromise with Obama and agree to extending unemployment benefits for those not already funded out to 99 weeks?

So why then is the Progressive left wanting to keep the unemployed from getting benefits at Christmas time AND further drive down the economy? Why play Grinch?

First, Nancy is not a Progressive. A corporate liberal maybe, but progressive...no way.
Second, not all Democrats think or act in goose step fashion like some of another party.

The Republican's (and friends) have spent most of the last 2 years letting very little coming up to a vote via the filibusterer (on issues like extending benefits).
It might be a small win for Obama, but it is not for most progressives.
Why give them (the Republicans) a win now, when they are going to own it in a few weeks (as they keep say'n). Let them spend on their watch.
That's politics. Welcome to it.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:48 PM

10,963 posts, read 7,755,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Wait a minute..last week it was the Republicans who wanted to take away the $$$ from the unemployed and the right was ok with it.

The OP's post is an example of situational logic at its absolute finest.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:54 PM

19,445 posts, read 13,186,441 times
Quote:

Because they despise the top 5% of income earners, and want to slap them with 4.5% tax increase. It's all about Marxist class envy and class warfare. Even with adding over $200 billion to the debt with Unemployed-Wealfare payments, and a 35% death tax, they can't sleep at night unless they stick the knife into the wealthy folks and twist it 4.5 times.

Old 12-10-2010, 02:57 PM

69,372 posts, read 53,591,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Lie.. no one wanted to take money away from the unemployed. That would be theft. I invite you to purchase a dictionary and lookup the difference between taking away, and not giving..
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The OP's post is an example of situational logic at its absolute finest.
The OP was just discussing quotes by Nancy Pelosi and pretty much replacing the typical left wing attacks against the right, and now replacing "GOP" with "Democrat".. All of a sudden you dont like that logic.. Hows it feel?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:04 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,492,665 times
Quote:

Some people don't hesitate to speak their minds because they have nothing to lose.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Lie.. no one wanted to take money away from the unemployed. That would be theft. I invite you to purchase a dictionary and lookup the difference between taking away, and not giving..

The OP was just discussing quotes by Nancy Pelosi and pretty much replacing the typical left wing attacks against the right, and now replacing "GOP" with "Democrat".. All of a sudden you dont like that logic.. Hows it feel?
3 years of UE benefits is theft ????
Each party is taking their turn about voicing pro/anti extension beyond the 99 weeks.

Heck..let's just rename it "welfare" and give them 5 year max ?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:15 PM

313 posts, read 358,730 times
Maybe a better question would be: (instead of wondering who to blame) Why hasn't the "economic recovery" produced more jobs so people wouldn't have to worry about getting week 100/110/120/etc. of U/E?

Dang! I brought in actual thought to the discussion. Silly me - I will now have to ban myself.

Clarity is frightening to the ideologue, isn't it?

Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyMcGarley View Post
Maybe a better question would be: (instead of wondering who to blame) Why hasn't the "economic recovery" produced more jobs so people wouldn't have to worry about getting week 100/110/120/etc. of U/E?

Dang! I brought in actual thought to the discussion. Silly me - I will now have to ban myself.

Clarity is frightening to the ideologue, isn't it?
Bingo. That's why I said..rename it to welfare and that gives it an automatic 5 year max. This UE extentions game can go on for years..imagine that ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies