U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2010, 03:47 PM

1,610 posts, read 4,305,875 times

Advertisements

As the Chalk Leader for my flight home from Afghanistan, I witnessed the following:

When we were on our way back from Afghanistan, we flew out of Baghram Air Field. We went through customs at BAF, full body scanners (no groping), had all of our bags searched, the whole nine yards.
Our first stop was Shannon, Ireland to refuel. After that, we had to stop at Indianapolis, Indiana to drop off about 100 folks from the Indiana National Guard. That's where the stupid started.

First, everyone was forced to get off the plane-even though the plane wasn't refueling again. All 330 people got off that plane, rather than let the 100 people from the ING get off. We were filed from the plane to a holding area. No vending machines, no means of escape. Only a male/female latrine.

It's probably important to mention that we were ALL carrying weapons. Everyone was carrying an M4 Carbine (rifle) and some, like me, were also carrying an M9 pistol. Oh, and our gunners had M-240B machine guns. Of course, the weapons weren't loaded. And we had been cleared of all ammo well before we even got to customs at Baghram, then AGAIN at customs.

The TSA personnel at the airport seriously considered making us unload all of the baggage from the SECURE cargo hold to have it reinspected. Keep in mind, this cargo had been unpacked, inspected piece by piece by U.S. Customs officials, resealed and had bomb-sniffing dogs give it a one-hour run through. After two hours of sitting in this holding area, the TSA decided not to reinspect our Cargo-just to inspect us again:

Soldiers on the way home from war, who had already been inspected, reinspected and kept in a SECURE holding area for 2 hours. Ok, whatever. So we lined up to go through security AGAIN. This is probably another good time to remind you all that all of us were carrying actual assault rifles, and some of us were also carrying pistols.

So we're in line, going through one at a time. One of our Soldiers had his Gerber multi-tool. TSA confiscated it. Kind of ridiculous, but it gets better. A few minutes later, a guy empties his pockets and has a pair of nail clippers. Nail clippers. TSA informs the Soldier that they're going to confiscate his nail clippers. The conversation went something like this:

TSA Guy: You can't take those on the plane.

Soldier: What? I've had them since we left country.

TSA Guy: You're not suppose to have them.

Soldier: Why?

TSA Guy: They can be used as a weapon.

Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I'm allowed to take it on.

TSA Guy: Yeah, but you can't use it to take over the plane. You don't have bullets.

Soldier: And I can take over the plane with nail clippers?

[TSA Guy: awkward silence]

Me: "Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the heck out of here. I'll buy you a new set."

[Soldier hands nail clippers to TSA guy, makes it through security]

To top it off, the TSA demanded we all be swabbed for "explosive residue" detection. Everyone failed, [go figure, we just came home from a war zone], because we tested positive for "Gun Powder Residue". What?
Who is hiring and training these people? This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns-but nothing that could have been used as a weapon.

Can someone please tell me what happened to OUR country while we were gone?

Sgt. 'Mad Dog' Tracy
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM

10,400 posts, read 8,360,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
As the Chalk Leader for my flight home from Afghanistan, I witnessed the following:

When we were on our way back from Afghanistan, we flew out of Baghram Air Field. We went through customs at BAF, full body scanners (no groping), had all of our bags searched, the whole nine yards.
Our first stop was Shannon, Ireland to refuel. After that, we had to stop at Indianapolis, Indiana to drop off about 100 folks from the Indiana National Guard. That's where the stupid started.

First, everyone was forced to get off the plane-even though the plane wasn't refueling again. All 330 people got off that plane, rather than let the 100 people from the ING get off. We were filed from the plane to a holding area. No vending machines, no means of escape. Only a male/female latrine.

It's probably important to mention that we were ALL carrying weapons. Everyone was carrying an M4 Carbine (rifle) and some, like me, were also carrying an M9 pistol. Oh, and our gunners had M-240B machine guns. Of course, the weapons weren't loaded. And we had been cleared of all ammo well before we even got to customs at Baghram, then AGAIN at customs.

The TSA personnel at the airport seriously considered making us unload all of the baggage from the SECURE cargo hold to have it reinspected. Keep in mind, this cargo had been unpacked, inspected piece by piece by U.S. Customs officials, resealed and had bomb-sniffing dogs give it a one-hour run through. After two hours of sitting in this holding area, the TSA decided not to reinspect our Cargo-just to inspect us again:

Soldiers on the way home from war, who had already been inspected, reinspected and kept in a SECURE holding area for 2 hours. Ok, whatever. So we lined up to go through security AGAIN. This is probably another good time to remind you all that all of us were carrying actual assault rifles, and some of us were also carrying pistols.

So we're in line, going through one at a time. One of our Soldiers had his Gerber multi-tool. TSA confiscated it. Kind of ridiculous, but it gets better. A few minutes later, a guy empties his pockets and has a pair of nail clippers. Nail clippers. TSA informs the Soldier that they're going to confiscate his nail clippers. The conversation went something like this:

Soldier: [touches butt stock of the rifle] But this actually is a weapon. And I'm allowed to take it on.

TSA Guy: Yeah, but you can't use it to take over the plane. You don't have bullets.

Me: "Dude, just give him your damn nail clippers so we can get the heck out of here. I'll buy you a new set."

To top it off, the TSA demanded we all be swabbed for "explosive residue" detection. Everyone failed, [go figure, we just came home from a war zone], because we tested positive for "Gun Powder Residue". What?
Who is hiring and training these people? This might be a good time to remind everyone that approximately 233 people re-boarded that plane with assault rifles, pistols, and machine guns-but nothing that could have been used as a weapon.

Sgt. 'Mad Dog' Tracy
First of all thank you for your service...these TSA morons under the direction of "Big Sis" are out of control.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,332,160 times
I have a scar on my cheek that is testament to the very real danger the butt of an unloaded assault weapon can be. I had my face in the wrong place at the wrong time and collided with one.
However I do suspect an M-9 may in fact be more lethal unloaded than loaded.

But seriously, I'm sorry. You deserve better.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:04 PM

26,246 posts, read 14,124,700 times
Ditto on the thanks for your service. My apologies to you and the others as my tax dollars are being used for this nonsense.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:11 PM

13,136 posts, read 9,219,999 times
Another example why government is here to serve, not command.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:12 PM

665 posts, read 646,253 times
This is typical of the government fear mentality. Even soldiers returning home from war are suspected terrorists until proven otherwise.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:19 PM

3,378 posts, read 3,134,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post

Sgt. 'Mad Dog' Tracy
TSA sucks. This is why you should have flown Mil-Air

Old 12-10-2010, 04:43 PM

16,886 posts, read 12,551,587 times
TSA does suck, just another reason to fire them all, and go back to the airlines running it.

from 1 vet to another, thank you for your service.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:57 PM

5,645 posts, read 3,976,063 times
Wow. I can't even believe this. Y'all deserve to be treated MUCH better. TSA is out of line, yet again. It's like they have no brains.

Thank you for your service, and I'm sorry for your trouble. God bless you.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:22 PM

953 posts, read 742,903 times
If I was in that situation, my thoughts about the TSA inspector would be:

"How dare you violate my Rights!" "You're unfit to wear that uniform...unworthy to be called a citizen of this Nation ......you thug.....you tool!"

my actions would probably be to squeak "Yes sir", and drop my clippers, and run away....holding my pee pee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies