U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:11 PM
 
14,398 posts, read 7,100,371 times
Reputation: 7437

Advertisements

This discussion is both hilarious and interesting IMO. Interesting because all sides do have valid arguments, but hilarious because the majority of people I know IRL who are on Medicaid and who get tons of services beyond those of labor and delivery of children are conservative, married couples who don't believe in birth control and are staunchly pro-life. They also don't want to have any part of Obamacare, yet they pop out kids every year at the tax payer's expense but for some reason think they are not participating in "socialized medicine." So go figure. Ask around all you republicans and you will find that the largest percentages of thos on the Medicaid roles are your kindred political friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Pa
20,310 posts, read 18,890,891 times
Reputation: 6517
Well so much for the line that poor people have no access to medical care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:51 PM
 
62,487 posts, read 27,792,836 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This discussion is both hilarious and interesting IMO. Interesting because all sides do have valid arguments, but hilarious because the majority of people I know IRL who are on Medicaid and who get tons of services beyond those of labor and delivery of children are conservative, married couples who don't believe in birth control and are staunchly pro-life. They also don't want to have any part of Obamacare, yet they pop out kids every year at the tax payer's expense but for some reason think they are not participating in "socialized medicine." So go figure. Ask around all you republicans and you will find that the largest percentages of thos on the Medicaid roles are your kindred political friends.
Here's the reality of who's on public assistance and Medicaid. Notice each group's percentage:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 10:56 PM
 
14,398 posts, read 7,100,371 times
Reputation: 7437
One can always find ways of finding what they want online. It is impossible that the majority of people in this country on medicaid are black and hispanic when white people make up a large majority of the country and the majority of white people are not rich or well off.

Distribution by Race/Ethnicity - Kaiser State Health Facts

This date is specifically for medicaid, which I am not sure your stats are about. But 43% of those on Medicaid in the US are white, 21% are black, 28% are hispanic, 8% is other. The site also breaks it down by state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM
 
62,487 posts, read 27,792,836 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
One can always find ways of finding what they want online. It is impossible that the majority of people in this country on medicaid are black and hispanic when white people make up a large majority of the country and the majority of white people are not rich or well off.

Distribution by Race/Ethnicity - Kaiser State Health Facts
Look at which groups are UNDERrepresented and which groups are OVERrepresented when compared to their percentage of the U.S. population.

Hispanics and Blacks are both OVERrepresented. Their percentage of the population is 15% and 13% respectively, but they constitute 28% and 21% of those on Medicaid. Whites are UNDERrepresented at 43%, as they are 66% of the U.S. population.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:18 PM
 
14,398 posts, read 7,100,371 times
Reputation: 7437
That is what white people always say, about over representation or under representation. Regardless of representation, the majority of people receiving Medicaid ARE white!!! There is not question about it.

I do agree though like I said, that people shouldn't expect the government to pay for the birth of their children. I believe it is downright selfish and immoral. I know plenty of people IRL and on a mothering community online that I am a part of that are on Medicaid, the majority of them are white women. A lot of them are working and their husbands work and they just don't want to pay for medical insurance through their employer. My husband pays over $400 a month for our coverage so I understand the reluctance in not wanting to foot the bill for other people's children, but I also don't like to see the facts construed and take offense to people always stating how hispanics and blacks abuse the system when white people do the same thing and more of them do it regardless of percentages and over/under representation of the ethnic groups.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 11:38 PM
 
62,487 posts, read 27,792,836 times
Reputation: 7884
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
That is what white people always say, about over representation or under representation. Regardless of representation, the majority of people receiving Medicaid ARE white!!! There is not question about it.
In other words, the facts went right over your head. Exactly what about the concept of population percentages and the disproportionate occurrence rates of certain groups receiving Medicaid benefits do you not understand? Serious question.

Quote:
but I also don't like to see the facts construed
The facts are what I stated. You just apparently don't understand them. If you tell me what you're unclear on, I'll explain further.

Quote:
and take offense to people always stating how hispanics and blacks abuse the system when white people do the same thing and more of them do it regardless of percentages and over/under representation of the ethnic groups.
You clearly don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 07:36 AM
 
14,398 posts, read 7,100,371 times
Reputation: 7437
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
In other words, the facts went right over your head. Exactly what about the concept of population percentages and the disproportionate occurrence rates of certain groups receiving Medicaid benefits do you not understand? Serious question.

The facts are what I stated. You just apparently don't understand them. If you tell me what you're unclear on, I'll explain further.

You clearly don't get it.
I never said I didn't understand anything.

You don't seem to understand is that the majority of the babies who are born on Medicaid are white babies. That is all I'm saying and that is the fact. You can say anything you like about under or over representation but those are the facts. More white people use Medicaid than any other group. For example, you have 1 million people on Medicaid, 430,000 of those are white, 210,000 are black, 280,000 are hispanic, the rest are in the "other" category. 430,000 is the largest number of babies no matter what the under/over representation is of the other groups on Medicaid. Total numbers are totals.

I am a mother, who is not on Medicaid and has never been and really I'm not all that against the use of Medicaid for the birth of babies since I want all children to get a good start medically, but don't try to blame the high percentages on just poor minorities when the majority of these babies are white babies. Like I said I know a lot of married couples who get pregnant then get medicaid for the birth of their babies. Because of that the children automatically get to be on Medicaid for at least 2 years without any verification in my state. Though I also don't see an issue with that because I don't have a problem with Medicaid being used to keep poor children healthy, I do have a problem with people complaining about socialized medicine when they use socialized medicine. I also have a problem when people try to stereotype only single, black or hispanic mothers as being the majority of the people who use Medicaid because that is not the case.

And if you want to talk about over/under representation we can go on and on about the under representation of minorities and women in government and in business and in a lot of other areas where it is benefitting those who are over represented. I would rather be over represented in those areas, where the benefits are greater, than be on Medicaid any day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:10 AM
 
Location: Land of Thought and Flow
8,323 posts, read 13,151,232 times
Reputation: 4865
You know what I find interesting (and perhaps a touch sad)? In the state of Virginia, a pregnant woman easily qualifies for medicaid (or, if her income is above the limits, she can still possibly get FAMIS for Preggers), yet a non-pregnant woman with zero income is not a consideration.

It's almost as if the government wants women to be pregnant...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2010, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Yakima WA
3,858 posts, read 4,281,103 times
Reputation: 3155
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I never said I didn't understand anything.

You don't seem to understand is that the majority of the babies who are born on Medicaid are white babies. That is all I'm saying and that is the fact. You can say anything you like about under or over representation but those are the facts. More white people use Medicaid than any other group. For example, you have 1 million people on Medicaid, 430,000 of those are white, 210,000 are black, 280,000 are hispanic, the rest are in the "other" category. 430,000 is the largest number of babies no matter what the under/over representation is of the other groups on Medicaid. Total numbers are totals.

I am a mother, who is not on Medicaid and has never been and really I'm not all that against the use of Medicaid for the birth of babies since I want all children to get a good start medically, but don't try to blame the high percentages on just poor minorities when the majority of these babies are white babies. Like I said I know a lot of married couples who get pregnant then get medicaid for the birth of their babies. Because of that the children automatically get to be on Medicaid for at least 2 years without any verification in my state. Though I also don't see an issue with that because I don't have a problem with Medicaid being used to keep poor children healthy, I do have a problem with people complaining about socialized medicine when they use socialized medicine. I also have a problem when people try to stereotype only single, black or hispanic mothers as being the majority of the people who use Medicaid because that is not the case.

And if you want to talk about over/under representation we can go on and on about the under representation of minorities and women in government and in business and in a lot of other areas where it is benefitting those who are over represented. I would rather be over represented in those areas, where the benefits are greater, than be on Medicaid any day.
Because whites are the majority you would expect them in raw numbers to not only have the most medicaid cases but to have the most everything from any type of government service to being the customer of any type of product etc. But raw numbers tell us very little.

It really is all about proportion. It's the only way to compare behavior between groups (not just racial), Not just government services, companies use proportion or an index to compare what demographics are most likely to be their customer.

So if you want to compare racial groups on medicaid, proportion is an absolute must. Still I get your point, the stereotype is that all medicaid users are non-white when there are in fact millions of whites on medicaid. To be honest when I started this thread I was not thinking about race at all, I am against medicaid paying for births regardless of the mothers race.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top