Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 05:42 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,731,520 times

Advertisements

I know it's weather, not climate, but it's funny anyway.

The irony:
As negotiators from nearly 200 countries met in Cancun to strategize ways to keep the planet from getting hotter, the temperature in the seaside Mexican city plunged to a 100-year record low of 54° F.

http://theweek.com/article/index/210...warming-summit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 05:47 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
Humans thrive in hot temperatures. Food production goes wild.

The mini ice ages have caused death and war.

Try growing food in cold climates without Co2.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:20 PM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,160 times
I like to read any article about "CLIMATE CHANGE" or as the crawfishing media used to say "GLOBAL WARMING". If anyone believes that the earth is doomed because I drive an SUV or people will distroy the planet needs to buy stock in my solar powered hand warmer.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:47 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,767,375 times
I'm sure you weren't posting anything about the record heat waves sweeping across the country this past summer.

Old 12-11-2010, 03:07 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm sure you weren't posting anything about the record heat waves sweeping across the country this past summer.
That's because it's already been said to be caused by El Niño and not due to human activity . There's record cold and snow in northern Europe again by the way. Britain's been at or below freezing for a few weeks now, when their average temps is around 45-50 degrees in winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

I think the well-meaning, very tolerant, open-minded, scientifically oriented liberals always seem to forget that the human species last evolved near the EQUATOR. We are an EQUATORIAL species and we NEED a warm world to survive. We didn't evolve thick fur coats like the animals that have been living in the temperate and polar regions did hundreds of thousands of years ago. Why is it that the majority humans feel happier the closer they are to the equator whether they are on vacation or live there? We were made to live between the Tropic of Cancer and Capricorn and whenever human civilization has flourished, it was due to a warmer world

Old 12-11-2010, 03:45 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I know it's weather, not climate, but it's funny anyway.

The irony: As negotiators from nearly 200 countries met in Cancun to strategize ways to keep the planet from getting hotter, the temperature in the seaside Mexican city plunged to a 100-year record low of 54° F.

http://theweek.com/article/index/210...warming-summit
There is a cooling every year. It is called "winter". It appears that 2010 could turn out to be the hottest on record.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:05 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
I saw people wearing t-shirts today, we have had 71°F today when we should have had 57° according to statistics.

Cancún was a joke, like all those meetings. Well, at least those clowns have spent a couple of days in Mexico...

Old 12-11-2010, 04:07 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,713,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post

You know alphamale.....I have put some thought over the past few years to thinking along your lines.

In order to feed our ever growing population....we'll need to grow more food. If global warming is in fact happening and the climate is warming, there will be good things, and some bad things happening too obviously.

More CO2 as you mention is exactly what all plants (foodstuff that we can eat) need to survive....and the more of it that's in the asmosphere the faster they grow...not to mention if it's warmer they will grow even faster yet.

Yes, we'll lose some land at current sea level to several feet above with the warming climate which certainly won't be good for those that live in those areas....that obviously is not a good thing.

You're right that humans and plants thrive in warmer tempatures. Even nature basically shuts down in colder temps. Animals hibernate, most plants/trees etc... either die or go into some sort of "inactive" status during prolonged cold periods such as winter in the northern lattitudes.

Diseases do prosper at warmer temps unfortunately....so that would be downside if things get warmer.

But that all being said, as I mentioned at the beginning, I've thought many times that wouldn't it be a surprise if our warming climate is actually what saved us from future famine and possibly many other problems on the horizon that we're not even aware of yet.

On the subject of energy consumption....it would be interesting to find out what a very small average increase in the world temps would mean for energy consumption. Would it go up a bit....or down a bit. My very uneducated guess is that it may decrease a bit. Everything mechanical that consumes energy is less effecient when running in a cold environment and certainly during it's warm up phase when first turned on...and the colder it is the worse the effeciency is..........so anyway, fodder for thought if nothing else.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,734,306 times
Warmer temperatures won't help much in terms of growing. When it is warmer, more water dissipates, water that plants need the way we need oxygen. It is all connected and very complex. Ask the Indians, they are already struggling with water shortages in agriculture, they do not welcome warmer temperatures at all.
Not to mention that we have already changed the surface of the planet quite a bit over the past couple of millennia and we continue to do so, for instance by deforestation. Europe used to be covered with forests a long time ago, most of it is gone now. Same thing in Australia, the aborigines burned down much of the fauna thousands of years ago. All around the world we keep sealing soil at an incredible pace.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:54 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,214,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
There is a cooling every year. It is called "winter". It appears that 2010 could turn out to be the hottest on record.
That's according to GISS models which seem to measure global temperatures warmer than the satellite models, so I would be very sceptical about the claim of 2010 being the hottest year on record. The other models all generally agree while GISS is way out there. From what I've read, most satellite models suggest that 2010 will certainly be a mild year, but not as exaggerated as some in the media or AGW camp are suggesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies