U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 07:58 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,775 times

Advertisements

There are many things about Wal-Mart that I don't like, but this I do like:

Walmartstores.com: Zero Waste

If they succeed, many will follow.

I buy some things at WalMart, but not everything. Mostly, toiletries and cat food. I feed about 10 cats and only five are mine, so I do buy lots of cat food. WalMart has the best price, so I know five homeless cats that don't have to go hungry.

I don't like their beef; it's tastes horrible. I buy hardle any meat at WM, but I love the Tillamook cheeze and WM has the best price. They do have decent produce most of the time, but Whole Foods offers all kinds of things that WalMart doesn't have, and actually beats their price on a few items.

This morning I had a WalMart employee ask if I needed help when I was scouring the coffee/latte makers. She gave me lots and lots of help as she knew the products well, and I have to say that was a first at Walmart. I didn't even ask!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 08:20 PM

3,790 posts, read 7,563,624 times
My point was to NOT boycott Walmart because there is no point. What would be the difference between buying Johnny a new fire truck at Walmart or buying him one at Target? Both products are coming from China.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:26 PM

948 posts, read 1,202,271 times
Kentucky how about buying a toy truck from the local Ace hardware or John Deere dealership. Granted you may sill by China but these stores are franchises not corporate. We have to start digging out someplace and filling in the bottom seams like as good a place as any.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:27 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,705,775 times
Some people boycott based on ethical business practices, or lack thereof.

Old 12-11-2010, 08:31 PM

871 posts, read 1,414,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Some people boycott based on ethical business practices, or lack thereof.
that's a good idea

Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,126,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
You have ZERO understanding of what capitalism is.

Capitalism is based on gain by private ownership and essential serfdom. you must have plebes in order to gain or those working FOR you. Capitalism is about gain, not equitable trade.
Dude, I could write the book on capitalism. I OWN a small corporation. That's private ownership; I guess you think the guys sitting in the bar across the street should own it instead of me. Or maybe the Roryland government should own it, what do you think? Only problem is, nobody can run it like I can.

I own the building my business is in. More of that evil private ownership. But I use it, so I ought to own it. I'll be damned if I would pay rent to the People's Republic of Roryland.

My favorite investment is common stock, which is percentage ownership in large companies. There I go again.

I have an employee, I guess you would say a plebe or a serf. The young man is making 50% more this year than he ever has before in his life, and I am teaching him extremely valuable skills. I will have to keep paying him competitive wages, even as I help him improve his value--I expect he will be making 50% more in a few years. I certainly hope so: the more valuable his skills, the more money I will make, too.

Now, about that equitable trade thing. We make money because people pay us for our services. Each customer could literally go to any of hundreds of other places, or online to multi-billion dollar enterprises, instead of coming to us. Why do they come to us? Hint: it is not because we have any way to force them to.

There are no serfs in America. Anyone may walk off the job, any day, any time. Each of us is even on payday.

Here's the most wonderful thing about capitalism. I make money by helping people. If I do enough good for enough people, my income might double and double again over the next decade, like it did over the past decade. But if I start cheating people, word will get around in a hurry and I will go broke.

My "gains from private ownership" arise exclusively from the value that I can provide to others. I'm a f'n saint compared to someone who is of so little value to the rest us that they can't make a living.

Old 12-12-2010, 04:49 AM

69,297 posts, read 79,469,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I used to hate Walmart. They have destroyed this country, killing the small guy and fooling people into thinking that they are saving a ton of money. The one good point about them is that you can buy a car battery, loaf of bread, blender and pizza at 3:30 in the morning. I used to think that boycotting them would somehow help our country. However, I got to thinking that I would have to also to boycott every other store in this country. Almost everything comes from China now, so why would it matter if I bought it at Walmart or Kmart or Target? China is China is China. I will admit that I am disheartened, but what choice do I have? China owns us. Wait until they are goose stepping down Broadway in NYC one day.
Good post and I pretty much agree with what you are saying. Living where I do, I am completely familiar with Wal_Mart. Am I a huge supporter of them? Absolutely not, but I will say one thing, they give to the community over and over and over. There is no argueing about how much they contribute.

I rarely depend on Wal_Mart, I don't always like the unfriendly people who work there (not all) and I think much of the merchandise is sub standard, but I would be lieing if I said I never shop in the stores.

Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I won't shop at Walmart because I don't like the way they treat their employees. Compare them to Costco (where people make decent wages) and it's just not worth it.
can you give us a reference so we can compare what Sam's employees make compared to Costco?

Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rory00 View Post
no, i define capitalism for what it is.

and are allied countries non-communist? what makes a country worthy of being allies?

i'm bringing up a good point. it's just as prejudicial to think china is against you. how is it that they are? because people took manufacturing there.

maybe people should think before they make others out to be enemies.

btw, everything lenin prophesied about capitalism came true and america is a resounding and almost near perfect example as well that it's spooky. that people did not understand it even then or foresee it is what's remarkable because of it's common sense inevitablity.
that is your opinion, but not the opinion of everyone. i guess we should all just beleive whatever you tell us, as you seem to know more than the rest of us.

Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 05:31 AM

9,716 posts, read 12,942,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
??? Please explain.
Just go to Google and type in "Costco versus Walmart" and you'll see tons of editorials written on this.

Here is a link to one: Costco vs Walmart

Quote from the article: "A Business Week report shows Costco's average hourly wage is around $15.97, far above the Wal-Mart (Sam's Club) $11.52 figure (this is excluding the 25% of Wal-Mart workers who are low-paid part-timers- OUCH!). "

Here's another: Wal-Mart vs. Costco | Fast Company

Quote from the article: "The Costco article, a "news" story in the New York Times by Steven Greenhouse, was all about how Wall Street was not happy with Costco CEO Jim Sinegal because he pays his people an average of $17 per hour, which is about 42 percent more than the average Wal-Mart employee."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or