U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:59 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,035,694 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many people outside of LA are familiar with America's Chinese suburb, but Monterey Park is loaded with people of Chinese descent. They constitute over 50% of the city's population. Between Alhambra (also loaded with Asians) and Monterey Park, there are a good 15 huge Asian grocery stores in the area. (Big grocery stores, like a Publix or a Kroger.)

Walmart, with their "always low prices" moved into neighboring Rosemead with a Superstore.

My father and I stumbled on the Superstore one day and decided to check it out. There was plenty of parking. The few people we saw coming out of the store had purchased almost nothing. (I only saw one person with a cart and she had maybe three items in it.)

The first thing we saw when we went into the store was the produce section. Prices were sky high compared to the neighboring Asian markets. (68 cents for ONE orange compared to 19 cents a pound for oranges at a neighboring store. $3+ for ONE orange pepper compared to 59 cents a pound at a neighboring store.) The seafood section was an absolute joke. They had a display consisting of a whopping six tilapia filets (I forget the price) and a huge grocery case full of overpriced bagged frozen shrimp. Tilapia is sold at the Asian markets in big bags that are usually under $5. Shrimp is cheap too.

We didn't really look at much beyond the grocery department. I was always led to believe that Walmart had incredibly cheap groceries yet the stuff I saw in this Walmart was incredibly overpriced for the neighborhood.

On top of that, there was almost no one in the store! Everytime I see a photo shot in an empty Walmart I look to see if the photo was taken in the Rosemead store.

We left Walmart and drove less than two miles to the Ranch 99 Alhambra store which was packed with customers -- and the Ranch 99 truly had low prices.

After that, I have to wonder if Walmart hasn't snookered half of America? They think they are getting low prices because they have nothing to compare it to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 07:35 AM

18,311 posts, read 16,683,807 times
Bush 41 COULD have helped push the Chinese into a real revolution but he didn't want to undermine US business interests and we still needed a boogeyman to keep our war machine funded to protect us against. Then Clinton and Al Gore, lock step with most republicans, stepped up the exodus of US manufacturing to China by granting them most favored nation trade status. It continued under Bush 43 and now Obama who nobody takes seriously.
But 30 years ago it was K mart that was driving out the small stores and before that it was Sears. Wal mart just drove them out and did it better. Target is the same as Wal mart but gets a pass? Because people who don't know any better think Target is hip and trendy? Lowes and Home Depot are the same, supermarkets are the same.
I think China is going to have its own problems before too long. They're destroying their own envirnoments and abusing their population with rules and limited freedoms and that can only go so long.

Old 12-12-2010, 07:46 AM

555 posts, read 741,683 times
I don't have a car and I live across the street from a Super Walmart, but I still take the bus to Safeway because their food is higher quality.

Nobody has yet mentioned the quality of Chinese products. It is junk. It fails prematurely.
Keep your receipts.

I bought some plastic cups and drinking glasses at Walmart, made in China. They are like "dribble" glasses. The liquid splashes onto my glasses as I try to drink from them. Unbelievable.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:16 AM

871 posts, read 1,423,417 times
Quote:
Nobody has yet mentioned the quality of Chinese products. It is junk. It fails prematurely.
Keep your receipts.
you've got to be kidding me. no one has ever mentioned that chinese products are junk?

that still is incorrect. i'm sorry but what walmart sells is not chinese products.

they are cheap and not made to be extremely durable because it's marketed to economy shoppers. china does also produce very high quality for a niche market but it's not what the majority of consumers will be privy to. they want the cheapest but have unrealistic expectations.

i still don't understand why anyone would go into a walmart thinking they can purchase top of the line quality. it's an econo store. does one go into a family dollar store and expect to get top quality?

i really can't wait until manufacturing returns to the states and the prices hike as well as the quality will be the same, high-end and low-end.

americans talk like communists when it comes to goods as if everyone is supposed to get the best at any price or at any store. americans are spoiled and whine way too much.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I don't know how many people outside of LA are familiar with America's Chinese suburb, but Monterey Park is loaded with people of Chinese descent. They constitute over 50% of the city's population. Between Alhambra (also loaded with Asians) and Monterey Park, there are a good 15 huge Asian grocery stores in the area. (Big grocery stores, like a Publix or a Kroger.)

Walmart, with their "always low prices" moved into neighboring Rosemead with a Superstore.

My father and I stumbled on the Superstore one day and decided to check it out. There was plenty of parking. The few people we saw coming out of the store had purchased almost nothing. (I only saw one person with a cart and she had maybe three items in it.)

The first thing we saw when we went into the store was the produce section. Prices were sky high compared to the neighboring Asian markets. (68 cents for ONE orange compared to 19 cents a pound for oranges at a neighboring store. $3+ for ONE orange pepper compared to 59 cents a pound at a neighboring store.) The seafood section was an absolute joke. They had a display consisting of a whopping six tilapia filets (I forget the price) and a huge grocery case full of overpriced bagged frozen shrimp. Tilapia is sold at the Asian markets in big bags that are usually under $5. Shrimp is cheap too.

We didn't really look at much beyond the grocery department. I was always led to believe that Walmart had incredibly cheap groceries yet the stuff I saw in this Walmart was incredibly overpriced for the neighborhood.

On top of that, there was almost no one in the store! Everytime I see a photo shot in an empty Walmart I look to see if the photo was taken in the Rosemead store.

We left Walmart and drove less than two miles to the Ranch 99 Alhambra store which was packed with customers -- and the Ranch 99 truly had low prices.

After that, I have to wonder if Walmart hasn't snookered half of America? They think they are getting low prices because they have nothing to compare it to?
the only reason walmart is in business is because people shop there. there is plenty of other stores that have better offers in just about every area and a multitude online. it is not true that one has to shop at walmart.

walmart is only good for some items but it's not groceries. i would say undergarments but not clothes unless it's children's wear.

anyways, walmart is for the very poor or one stop shopper when it comes it items. usually good for busy families. a step down from this would be like dollar general stores and a step up from walmart/kmart/target would be like sears and then it continues to go up like macys, dillards and then to really high end like nordstrom, neiman marcus and then to gucci, prada etc. these are the really high end.

then there are the specialty designer stores and brands that one can see in any indoor mall from average such as aeropostele, bathworks etc to higher end such as sephora, diesel etc. there are also regular outdoor econo malls that would feature clothing and shoe outlets like cato, payless etc along with grocery and drug stores and there are also discount fashion stores like ross, marshalls etc. there are also premium outlets. then there are the really high-end malls usually centered around the most expensive real estate areas which feature top designers.

for groceries, there are regular econo ones like sav a lot, foodtown, safeway all the way to pricier such as whole foods, harris teeter or specialty gourmet stores etc.

there are a multitude of shopping options as well as hundreds of thousands of vendors and shopping brands and choices online from all around the world. it is just absolutely LUDICROUS THAT PEOPLE PRETEND THAT WALMART IS THEIR ONLY CHOICE!!! are americans crazy???

hell, people don't even have to shop anymore at stores, one can shop online. it'a amazing how much choices there are and the variety of unique products available from around the world. i just randomly saw an organic towel set from japan online. now where could you buy that in any store or you would have to look really hard. you can shop online and have it delivered. i've bought electronics from b&g photo, tiger direct/compusa online as well as clothing, groceries etc. the choices are truly astounding.

walmart has very little competition in the one stop shopping arena and that is why they are successful. they wouldn't be if people weren't satisfied with it but many are. i can't stand their selection as it's really very basic and uninteresting but if you take a look around it pretty much meets the needs of the poor working class.

Last edited by rory00; 12-12-2010 at 09:39 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM

2,179 posts, read 1,685,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Dude, I could write the book on capitalism. I OWN a small corporation. That's private ownership; I guess you think the guys sitting in the bar across the street should own it instead of me. Or maybe the Roryland government should own it, what do you think? Only problem is, nobody can run it like I can.

I own the building my business is in. More of that evil private ownership. But I use it, so I ought to own it. I'll be damned if I would pay rent to the People's Republic of Roryland.

My favorite investment is common stock, which is percentage ownership in large companies. There I go again.

I have an employee, I guess you would say a plebe or a serf. The young man is making 50% more this year than he ever has before in his life, and I am teaching him extremely valuable skills. I will have to keep paying him competitive wages, even as I help him improve his value--I expect he will be making 50% more in a few years. I certainly hope so: the more valuable his skills, the more money I will make, too.

Now, about that equitable trade thing. We make money because people pay us for our services. Each customer could literally go to any of hundreds of other places, or online to multi-billion dollar enterprises, instead of coming to us. Why do they come to us? Hint: it is not because we have any way to force them to.

There are no serfs in America. Anyone may walk off the job, any day, any time. Each of us is even on payday.

Here's the most wonderful thing about capitalism. I make money by helping people. If I do enough good for enough people, my income might double and double again over the next decade, like it did over the past decade. But if I start cheating people, word will get around in a hurry and I will go broke.

My "gains from private ownership" arise exclusively from the value that I can provide to others. I'm a f'n saint compared to someone who is of so little value to the rest us that they can't make a living.
marcopolo !!! ... You can't say it any better than this ^ ! BRAVO !

Thank you for providing the truly essential factors regarding the remarkable mechanism known as "Capitalism" !

Hopefully some of those foolish blokes here on good old CDF, who continue to get all up in a "Lather" and "Foam at the Mouth" during their hateful triades against "Capitolism" may at last learn some basics from your most wise post !!!

Have A Nice Day / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-12-2010, 09:38 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,159,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Sam Walton got rich catering to the needs of poor people. local mom and pop shops died out because they were too stuborn to change with the times.
I don't know that they were too stuborn. I would say that they didn't know how to change.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:42 AM

33,937 posts, read 14,906,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I used to hate Walmart. They have destroyed this country, killing the small guy and fooling people into thinking that they are saving a ton of money. The one good point about them is that you can buy a car battery, loaf of bread, blender and pizza at 3:30 in the morning. I used to think that boycotting them would somehow help our country. However, I got to thinking that I would have to also to boycott every other store in this country. Almost everything comes from China now, so why would it matter if I bought it at Walmart or Kmart or Target? China is China is China. I will admit that I am disheartened, but what choice do I have? China owns us. Wait until they are goose stepping down Broadway in NYC one day.
Most people would be surprised to find out how many things Wal Mart sells that ARE made in america.

At least Wal Mart does provide some benefits. Most mom & pop stores provide no benefits.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Funk View Post
marcopolo !!! ... You can't say it any better than this ^ ! BRAVO !

Thank you for providing the truly essential factors regarding the remarkable mechanism known as "Capitalism" !

Hopefully some of those foolish blokes here on good old CDF, who continue to get all up in a "Lather" and "Foam at the Mouth" during their hateful triades against "Capitolism" may at last learn some basics from your most wise post !!!

Have A Nice Day / Old Sgt. Lamar
you are right, capitalism is great. i must have been mistaken. excuse me.

i think america should continue to be as capitalistic as possible.

i just wish that americans who think they are capitalists stop whining like communists then and spew communistic ideas without even realizing it. not only does it make them total hypocrites but also reveals them to be idiots. of course the ones who are not on the short end of the stick will say that others are 'foaming at the mouth'. lmao

i guess one can slap on any label they want. capitalism is good. jobs are offshoring due to competition and that's how it rolls. please stop whining, that is to the american 'losers', not winners.

but please, this forum has more the 'walmart' crowd and is hardly the most intelligent. often the fools are the ones who presumptively call others the fool and so assuredly such as yourself.

how about some "true" ejumecation or a real modicum of intelligence, old sarge. watch out for them big words and also it gets very indepth. you may not be able to take it or it will fly over your head as it will for most here.

"True communism" - SciForums.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo
Dude, I could write the book on capitalism. I OWN a small corporation. That's private ownership; I guess you think the guys sitting in the bar across the street should own it instead of me. Or maybe the Roryland government should own it, what do you think? Only problem is, nobody can run it like I can.
Uh dude, you absolutely could not. maybe some people here would fall for that but you couldn't because you are biased. don't make me laugh!

Last edited by rory00; 12-12-2010 at 10:07 AM..

Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM

8,880 posts, read 5,410,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post

I own the building my business is in. More of that evil private ownership. But I use it, so I ought to own it. I'll be damned if I would pay rent to the People's Republic of Roryland.

My favorite investment is common stock, which is percentage ownership in large companies. There I go again.

I have an employee, I guess you would say a plebe or a serf. The young man is making 50% more this year than he ever has before in his life, and I am teaching him extremely valuable skills. I will have to keep paying him competitive wages, even as I help him improve his value--I expect he will be making 50% more in a few years. I certainly hope so: the more valuable his skills, the more money I will make, too.

Now, about that equitable trade thing. We make money because people pay us for our services. Each customer could literally go to any of hundreds of other places, or online to multi-billion dollar enterprises, instead of coming to us. Why do they come to us? Hint: it is not because we have any way to force them to.

There are no serfs in America. Anyone may walk off the job, any day, any time. Each of us is even on payday.

Here's the most wonderful thing about capitalism. I make money by helping people. If I do enough good for enough people, my income might double and double again over the next decade, like it did over the past decade. But if I start cheating people, word will get around in a hurry and I will go broke.

My "gains from private ownership" arise exclusively from the value that I can provide to others. I'm a f'n saint compared to someone who is of so little value to the rest us that they can't make a living.
What you've just described is "free market capitalism", and it's a great economic model .... hopefully one day, we might get a chance to see it in operation in this country. Right now, it's a fairytale. There is nothing "free market" about the system in it's current form and actual operation.

When you have a small group of gangsters controlling the supply and value of capital, such that exists, and has existed for almost 100 years ... you have "crony capitalism", not free market. This control over the supply and value of money literally controls the markets, and charts the course and trends. Sure, there are some short term winners that can see benefits of the system, but that often relies on good fortune more so than good business practices these days, and those market conditions can change radically is short order.

I liken the system as it exists now to a form of "economic farming" to which the currency is the water supply that dictates what grows and what dies, who succeeds and who fails. You may have some control of your business success by offering a better product or service than your competitors so long as the supply of water remains flowing, but if your client base experiences a drought, so will you.

Small business operates on small margins, and as the economic cycle ramps up (growth cycle) those businesses may expand to satisfy increasing demand. But when the cycle dips during the downturns (harvesting cycle) only those larger corporations with sufficient capital are able to ride out the fall ... and the smaller guys are often forced to liquidate, which allows their gains to be "harvested" at well below market value by the capital flush larger corporate monopolies. Once consolidated, the cycle turns up again ... and all of this (both the upturns and downturns) are engineered by that small group who control the flow of capital ... the value of that capital in terms of both supply and interest rates ... and who receives the flow of that capital.

Furthermore ... you may think you "own" your business and the building for which you operate from ... but you don't really own squat ... if you have a mortgage, the bank owns your building and your business ... if you've paid off the note, the government owns your building and allows you to pay rent on it (property taxes), and of course, you are subject to IRS, selectively, to which the large, "connected" corporate interests are exempt.

In other words, you operate in an environment similar to a casino ... yes ... there are winners that beat the "house" occasionally, which lends some element of credibility to the game ... but at the end of the day, the "house" always comes out on top.

At the moment, we see an implosion occurring that is most certainly by design ...the housing market collapse was just the tip of this iceberg and few realize the extent of the fraud that has occurred. The currency crisis that followed and is in play now, will will continue, and the collapse of commercial real estate is next on the list for consolidation, along with a devastating round of bank failures that will kick into high gear next year.

You may think you're the king of your castle ... I've got news for you ... you're a renter like everyone else ... you just haven't been told ... yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or