U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 02:10 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,431,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
If it were up to today's Republicans, I doubt we could have built an interstate highway system. It uses federal funds, so I'm sure they would have been against it.
Paygo system would mean the price of a model t ford would be $75,000 in 1920? More? I think more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM

5,645 posts, read 3,972,652 times
Quote:
Wisconsin, Ohio and federal stimulus funds: California is happy to take your money - latimes.com

If you live in Wisconsin or Ohio, please tell your governor thank you for all of us in California. The billions of dollars intended for your states will be going to 13 other states - with California being the biggest beneficiary.
I live in WI and am very happy we turned it down. Now CA and Pelosi's cronies can deal with the boondoggle and further bankrupt the state.

The Badger Herald: Wisconsin loses high-speed rail funding

Old 12-12-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:
And your new governor is calling the loss of funding and construction jobs "a victory". That's tea bag logic for you, I guess.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/10/us/10rail.html?_r=1
It's not the government's responsibility to fund and create jobs. Also, this thing would have been subsidized heavily by the feds...more spending! And they don't even have the ridership needed to be able to support it being built by private industry, so that is saying something right there, that the feds should not have even offered to throw money at this project. The main reason that Walker doesn't want it is b/c it doesn't make sense and it's a waste of taxpayer money.

Responsible people and entities have to balance their budgets, I wish the feds would understand that.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Twelve other states will benefit from the Wisconsin and Ohio governor's refusals to accept federal funds. Florida's high-speed rail project will be another large beneficiary - that is, unless their new Republican governor decides to reject it. I almost hope he does - it'll mean more cash for the rest of us!
I hope Scott turns it down. To go from Tampa to Orlando takes about an hour or so, driving. Most people do not commute from one to the other as they are both huge cities with plenty to offer for leisure and jobs. They have plans to expand the rail to Miami, which makes way more sense. But Scott wants to see budget estimates to determine how much it will cost to build, what the projected ridership will be and to determine if it's something that the taxpayers can keep up with, since God forbid a private company build and run a HSR line. Wanna know why HSR hasn't been taken on by private industry? Because these projects do not turn profits. The gov't should not have a hand in it b/c it's a waste of taxpayer money.

Old 12-14-2010, 02:55 AM

22 posts, read 32,318 times
After this last election, I'm glad that I'm in California now instead of Wisconsin, but I'm very sad for my family. Wisconsin has been in need of public transportation for some time!!! Most of this would have already been paid for and it would save lots of money plus create jobs. What has happened to Wisconsin?!

I know that this has been a really hot topic even in Madison!!! A once very liberal and progressive city. Madison is still a great city, but not the peaceful place that it was. But, did people know that this money was already allocated? And if people were aware of that, then do they not know the amount of money the state has to spend on salt and plows every year (esp. as of late with global warming)?

When people get snowed in at the major airport hubs in the midwest, they could choose to transit by rail instead. This would give the public more money instead of just the private companies like airlines and the businesses that operate out of them. Also, when there are blizzards, the state could spend less money on having a constant clearance of snow on the intersate, and also choose to shut parts down (like 4 out of 5 lanes) since there is a public rail. This would lower expenses AND increase revenue for the state. $$$ (Psst, they would still get taxes from $ spent on gas for those who choose to drive, which would mostly be locals)

There would be more jobs NOW to build the rail, and then in the future, the expense of government jobs would taper off since we would need less plowing and salt until the storms are actually over. Cities, for a time, would compete for cost of living, more $$ would be spent touristing, and less $$ would be spent on cleaning up fatalities. Trains crash less than cars and the clean ups would be more isolated. Saving taxes again!!!!!! I know we don't really bank on tourism in the midwest, but welcome to the future. We NEED that $$$ because it's 90% revenue! We need to go from fly-over (or cross-my-fingers transfer-over) to people can actually visit more than just the Chicago area.... um, not-over.

When has McDonalds ever said, "Hey, people who own a much, MUCH smaller % of our company should get to have more accessible transportation when they get stuck in one of the airports that we service."? Either the major stock holders of companies will make decisions, or the board of directors for a company will make a decision that will benefit all stock holders. That last part may end up benefiting customers like u & i, but only because increasing revenue is mostly beneficial to partial owners (stock holders).

Also, we are living in a global economy, and that means that corporations can exist in a state or a country, and choose to take everything they can from them while giving nothing back. Why would they give anything back if it's not profitable? To be patriotic? To whom? The country they started in, or the one they make the most $$ in?

I know that many people are frustrated with the democrats for lack of change, that many now follow the republicans for the moral reasons, and that more and more now view the 2 party system as a failure. However, please realize that our country is based on the right to vote, that the popular vote wins, and that voting against what you don't want mostly only works during prom and school lunch decisions. Economics is accounting PLUS sociology. Economics is not just about making business decisions, but about how the culture functions and how everyone will make their decisions (sociology).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies