U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2010, 10:26 PM

85,013 posts, read 98,876,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Perhaps you haven't been paying attention to MSNBC commentator repeated comments about the Republican Party.
Well, I don't watch it, if that's what you mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2010, 10:30 PM

12,738 posts, read 7,364,993 times
Wow! How cool. Pretty soon the republican slogan will be "Tea Party, Party of the Hood". Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:32 PM

25,060 posts, read 22,131,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Don't you know that the GOP is the party of fat, Baby Boomer, white, racist, xenophobic Christian males who would vote to bring back slavery at the drop of a hat? That's the point he;s making, and I did at the beginning of the topic

Old 12-11-2010, 10:41 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,671,584 times
Greetings,

Blimey ... The ole republican party had better distance themselves from these two fence riding "DINO's !!! Indeed these blokes should at least have the guts to finish their terms with the exceedingly incompetent political party they were elected to.

Hopefullly the elections of 2012 will further diminish the numbers of the pitifully balmy "Dino" party !

Thanks Y'ALL / Old Sgt. Lamar

Old 12-11-2010, 10:47 PM

14,423 posts, read 7,107,253 times
The conservative tidal wave here in GA is gaining momentum. In the article, one of the party switchers stated that their district was mostly Republican so it just makes sense that they would want to go with what the people want, if they want to keep their jobs.

I also do think it is a reflection of Democrats. I don't like either "choice" really since there really isn't a choice in the long run in most elections. I am not a Democrat, nor Republican. I voted for some of each and Libertarians in the last election here in GA this past November.

I believe that GA is just traditionally a conservative state and that the Dems are going more liberal so it makes sense that those who are not ultra left-leaning but who are currently Democrats will have to make a decision whether or not to join the Republican party. No matter the race of the candidate. Democrats here are just not all that popular so this article is not surprising or even something really that warrants any type of awe at black people becoming Republican. Now if this were happening in Atlanta to say John Lewis or something THAT would be something, but that will never happen!

There are a few places outside of Atlanta where you can still get elected as a Democrat, but they are few and far between and usually have large black populations who vote Democrat. Sanford Bishop's district in Albany is an example of this. Also, John Barrow represents parts of Savannah, which is a more left leaning city in GA not like Atlanta but not like the rest of GA either.

Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM

26,229 posts, read 14,113,453 times
Quote:
What does their color have to do with anything?
A straightforward answer if you really don't know...

Blacks are 90%-95% in favor of Democrats. That majority usually claim that the other side is a bunch of white racists - or traitors (or House Negros, Uncle Toms, Oreos, etc.) for the 5%-10% of blacks (myself included) who are not Democrats.

So any change in this fashion is a big deal especially since they are regional public figures.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:06 PM

18,045 posts, read 13,258,699 times
Quote:
You don't ever have to watch television to figure out that black conservatives and especially black Republicans are viewed and portrayed by television, newspapers and the "black leaders" as race traitor Uncle Tom Mau Maus.

Old 12-11-2010, 11:15 PM

23,760 posts, read 16,035,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
their changing of parties had more to do with the fact that here in ga, you cannot get elected in areas outside of atlanta really unless you are a republican. Regardless of liberal or conservative ideas, here in ga the majority of voters just don't like democrats so these two did what they had to do to get elected and keep themselves out of the unemployment lines.

Georgia politics now-a-days are simple. If you are a republican (i would bet even a child molesting, murderous rapist republican) you will beat any democrat, even if they are conservative just because you have that r near your name and that is the only thing that the majority of georgia voters look for.
Bingo!!!

Old 12-11-2010, 11:26 PM

47,314 posts, read 24,649,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Two African-American Democrats on Thursday announced that they were joining the Republican Party.
Hall County Commissioner Ashley Bell and former state executive committee member Andre Walker said the Democratic Party had grown too liberal and they are finding a new home with the Republicans.

Updated: Two black Democrats bolt party for GOP | Georgia Elections News

I agree that feeling of " to liberal" is going to cost the democrats even more supporters for time to come
So, what's the point? What...are these the first people to leave the Democrats and join the Republicans?

I can name quite a few party changers over the years. What's the big deal?

Old 12-11-2010, 11:44 PM

7,413 posts, read 7,836,345 times
Wow, this is earth-shattering news: 2 Black men are becoming Republicans! But for the GOP it is huge news because they are viewed by Blacks as the enemy plain & simple. For "two" African-Americans to switch parties will likely mean that they will become total pariahs among fellow Blacks or they are merely pandering to the White folks in order to get elected. Either way is only demonstrates how racism is alive and well in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies