U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 06:08 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,734,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
Two African-American Democrats on Thursday announced that they were joining the Republican Party.
Hall County Commissioner Ashley Bell and former state executive committee member Andre Walker said the Democratic Party had grown too liberal and they are finding a new home with the Republicans.

Updated: Two black Democrats bolt party for GOP | Georgia Elections News

I agree that feeling of " to liberal" is going to cost the democrats even more supporters for time to come
I guess the Georgia Repubs pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 06:15 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,431,767 times
Quote:
Two African-American Democrats on Thursday announced that they were joining the Republican Party.
Hall County Commissioner Ashley Bell and former state executive committee member Andre Walker said the Democratic Party had grown too liberal and they are finding a new home with the Republicans.

I agree that feeling of " to liberal" is going to cost the democrats even more supporters for time to come
It's really so strange because I've heard the same thing from the other side of the aisle. Moderate republicans going democrat because the republicans are too far to the right. Anyone believe that the 2 party system needs breaking up yet? Have there been enough former dems and former repubs piling into the independence ticket to make it evident enough?

Old 12-12-2010, 07:29 AM

10,963 posts, read 7,756,587 times
Quote:

This is not better or worse than moderate Republicans that become independents that left the Republican Party when the Tea Party began to assert itself. There is no center in American politics anymore.

Also most of the constituents in these politicians area were Republicans anyway according to the article. These particular switches are as much about career preservation as anything to be with political ideology.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:36 AM

5,098 posts, read 7,344,538 times
Quote:

why does it matter what color they are? i mean, does it matter? i didn't read the article

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM

12,734 posts, read 7,355,472 times
Hmmmm, I wonder if they exited the Democratic stage waving straw hats and doing a 40s era "soft shoe"?

Old 12-12-2010, 10:43 AM

69,278 posts, read 79,447,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
But but, why would they want to join the party that supports racism, xenophobia, segregation (and would institute slavery if given the chance)? I'm guessing these blacks are right to bolt from the Democrats, since Democrats only have room for tolerant, open-minded people
this is just what too many libs believe: they still think Republicans are bigots, even though there is almost no truth to which side is the most open minded.

Nita

Old 12-12-2010, 10:54 AM

10,750 posts, read 6,892,665 times
I've left the Democratic Party after this whole tax debate. I'm probably too liberal/libertarian for some in the Republican Party, though. I guess I will just go independent from now on.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:09 AM

10,713 posts, read 11,412,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post

Georgia politics now-a-days are simple. If you are a Republican (I would bet even a child molesting, murderous rapist Republican) you will beat any Democrat, even if they are conservative just because you have that R near your name and that is the only thing that the majority of Georgia voters look for.
It's sad but that's how most all republican areas vote. It doesn't matter who you are, if you've got an R next to your name, you're getting the vote.

Old 12-12-2010, 11:11 AM

22,243 posts, read 14,734,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's sad but that's how most all republican areas vote. It doesn't matter who you are, if you've got an R next to your name, you're getting the vote.
How else could you possibly explain DeMint?

Old 12-12-2010, 11:12 AM

4,296 posts, read 6,115,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Likewise that is exactly how most Democratic areas vote. So long as you have a D next to your name, victory is assured. For example, Arkansas, West Virginia, California, and Hawaii. Republicans in those states might as well give up before they even run.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies