U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2010, 12:09 PM

32,799 posts, read 30,044,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Agreed, if you notice the best servers don't resort to these tactics. They focus on providing great service and working hard and realize the tips will come on its own. The bad servers resort to these shady tactics of waiting there and asking if you want change or standing above you while you sign the credit card slip. Like with anything in life, there is a reason why some people are more successful in any service industry and why others aren't and this goes for not just waiters but doctors, lawyers, businesses etc. If you provide great service, more often than not, you will be rewarded. The ones who receive bad tips....well there is a reason for than and unfortunately for them, they always seem to blame the customers instead of recognizing they have a problem. In my industry, my mentor told me not to think about money, just do the best job you can, take pride in what you do and have a passion for what you do and the money will be there....in my case, that's been true.
This reminds me of one time at a happy hour bar. These girls we were sitting with would hand me some money to go get their drinks ( I wasn't drinking) and I would so they could stay out dancing. All the bartender had to do was pop tops on beers and set them on the counter. I think the beers were like 1.75 and so I'd just leave the money after I payed. So the tip was like 1.50 each time. At my last time up as I'm walking away she says , "Thanks, I'll put myself through College with that" in a sarcastic voice.

If that wasn't a sense of entitlement I don't know what was. She had made like 10 bucks in a short amount of time lifting some beers 24 inches.

After that I flagged down a waitress and she was more than happy to take the girl's money. Especially after we had dinner and left a very big tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 09:28 AM

10,720 posts, read 16,839,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
This reminds me of one time at a happy hour bar. These girls we were sitting with would hand me some money to go get their drinks ( I wasn't drinking) and I would so they could stay out dancing. All the bartender had to do was pop tops on beers and set them on the counter. I think the beers were like 1.75 and so I'd just leave the money after I payed. So the tip was like 1.50 each time. At my last time up as I'm walking away she says , "Thanks, I'll put myself through College with that" in a sarcastic voice.

If that wasn't a sense of entitlement I don't know what was. She had made like 10 bucks in a short amount of time lifting some beers 24 inches.

After that I flagged down a waitress and she was more than happy to take the girl's money. Especially after we had dinner and left a very big tip.
Bartenders are the worst! Tipping a bartender is almost an oxymoron. They get paid a ridiculous amount of money for doing the least amount of work. I've learned in those situations, don't even tip the bartenders. It's better not to tip them than tip them anything at all because you are likely to get a condescending and sarcastic response from a person who has a huge ego and sense of entitlement.

Don't get me wrong, I'll tip a bartender for making an actual drink not popping off the tab of a beer and handing it to me.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 AM

3,065 posts, read 5,279,968 times
In San Francisco, bartenders make minimum wage *at least* which is $9.75 or something. The tips are often many times more than that. It's a good living, except you have to work in a bar, which sucks.

Old 12-25-2010, 10:40 AM

2,447 posts, read 1,853,364 times
I can't even believe there is a thread on this....lol

If you don't want to tip, don't spend your money at places where people depend on them to make a living. Make room for those who won't complain about leaving a tip.

I once worked at a fancy hotel where a realtor made a fortune on the sale of a multi million dollar home. He brought the clients in to celebrate & in the course of their stay they consumed 2 bottles of Dom Perignon. Their bill was astronomical & they left without tipping anything.
As the manager, I called this fellow to ask about the service, he told me it was not only good but, exceptional.
The moral of the story I guess is some tip & some do not. That is what those who are in positions that depend on tips have to deal with.
If you don't tip, don't b*** about bad service the next time.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:58 PM

6,611 posts, read 10,948,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Well said! And this proves a point! People find it ridiculous to tip at McDonalds, Burger King, AW and other fast food establishments but are fine tipping at Starbucks, Sonic and other establishments that provide similar service. Why are we supposed to tip at Starbucks? Is it because Starbucks is a trendier establishment and the employees wear aprons and the ambience has soft lighting with eclectic music playing in the background? Sorry but those are weak reasons to tip someone. It should be based on service not on the trendiness of establishments. If you are going to tip the Starbucks employee a dollar for making you a $5 cup of coffee, then you should tip the McDonalds employee for making your Big Mac or the cashier at grocery store for ringing and bagging your groceries which arguably is more work than the bartender who opens the bottle cap on your beer or the Starbucks employee for pouring coffee into a cup.
Maybe because the Starbucks barista actually remembers me as a customer and what my order is. Fast food places have a hard enough time getting the order RIGHT. Grocery stores don't allow customers to tip cashiers or baggers btw.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:34 PM
NCN

21,136 posts, read 21,129,613 times
We just went on a trip and let me tell you what we discovered. You can get a better meal at Wendy's than you can from some of these restaurants that the cost including the tip and everything else cost at least 1/3 more than the Wendy's bill. Wendy's has some very healthy food choices.

I don't know why so many service people are in the job to try to appear to give better service than they do in order to get a better tip. The one I really love is when you get no silverware and they make a big deal about bringing you some. Duh! Then they give you a coffee cup that holds two sips and act like they are doing you a favor to fill it up. Bigger cup would be a better solution. I like it when they bring my own coffee pot.

I have also experienced wait staff padding the bill too. I gave a very generous tip at one place just to look at the bill later and realize a tip had been added there also. In other words the waiter brought back less change then he should have. I don't go back to places who hire employees that do things like that.

The same restaurant in another town was so nice when I realized I was a little short on cash and left a smaller tip than usual and it was all change. I apologized to the waitress in this case. She hugged me and told me it was all right and she had given me excellent service. Which place do I choose when I have a choice in driving distance which is about the same. You guessed it. The one with the friendly waitress.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:17 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantthinkofaname View Post
I tip furniture, appliance delivery men...

YEEEEEURRGGHH!!!!! Furniture and appliance men!!!! MUST TIP THEM!!!!!

Last edited by 70Ford; 12-25-2010 at 06:28 PM..

Old 12-25-2010, 06:40 PM

830 posts, read 1,678,708 times
Agreed. I only tip an appropriate amount at places where tipping is traditional and the norm. I would only consider tipping in a situation such as picking up a pizza if there was an unusual circumstance where an employee went above and beyond their duties to ensure my satisfaction.

But it is getting ridiculous. I despise the mandatory automatic gratuities that some places add to the check. It goes against the whole idea of tipping. I will also write a big fat zero on the bill at places where you prepay and offer you to tip before any kind of service is rendered. I will leave a cash tip only after I am done on the table.

Old 12-25-2010, 06:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,473 posts, read 13,413,505 times
I was working somewhere and really wanted a steak for lunch. Of course, I couldn't eat at the restaurant, 'cuz i had to get back to the job, so I ordered a steak, salad and baked potato from Denny's. Yeah, Denny's was the closest place that had steak. I knew it wasn't going to be good, but I really wanted a steak. Steak is like sex. There is no bad steak.

Anyway, I get to the restaurant, and my bag is there, sitting behind the register. I pay for it with my Visa card, cuz it helps me keep track of things I can charge on the work account, and lunch was one of those things.

The lady behind the register handed me my bag. She looked down at the receipt and looked up at me and said, "How about the tip?" and I looked at her, and I burst out laughing.

One could dare say, I brayed like a mule. Uncontrollable fits of giggles and guffaws. If you had 10 clowns suddenly run in and scrape me up in a giant yellow dustbin and whisk me away, it could not have been more comical.

You handed me a bag. And you want a tip?

AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHHA!!!! AHAH!!!AHHAHAH!!AAHHHHAAAA!!!!!

Old 12-25-2010, 06:53 PM

9,881 posts, read 8,752,268 times
How is packing your order to go different from delivering the food to your table. Was your food packed correctly? Did you get napkins, condiments, and eating utensils?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies