Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 10:16 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times

Advertisements

At least one pays after the service. Imagine what the treatment would be like if they knew beforehand if and how much you are going to tip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Ignoring your personal remarks, it is absolutely OK in my view if the restaurant or whatever has to pay the difference out of payroll. But thanks to your exaggerated competition companies can't or don't want to pay the minimum wage to begin with, expecting the customer to do it for them. Although I don't find that a good situation, I think they should at least stop expecting customers to tip (by making them feel bad if they don't) and include the expected tip in the price of the service right from the start, so it is no longer optional.
Personal remarks? I stated that you have a different system of tipping in the EU. Is that not correct?

Exaggerated competition? You mean free market capitalism? Right, such a horrible thing. People do not work for a wage they don't feel is high enough. Don't like it? Get a job elsewhere. It's quite liberating, actually. Besides which, with competition, wages increase to attract the best talent away from competitors...your point is therefore moot.

When I worked as a server years ago, I got paid $2.13/hour. I made like $10/hour in tips, so it was like getting paid $12.13/hour and the restaurant made more profit b/c it was not paying me that high of a wage, and they could use that profit to stay open and continue to serve customers. When I became a trainer and worked overnights, my wages jumped up and I made more in tips due to drunk people coming in and being liberal with their wallets.

Restaurants would go bankrupt if they paid wages like that, and I don't know any server who would work for minimum wage of $7.25/hour. That's how it is in the service industry, you give great service, you get a great tip. If you give average service, you get an average tip. It's incentive to do a great job and keep customers coming back. It's a win-win for the servers and the establishment.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:35 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And they are still around? Obviously not everyone is as disloyal as you Tipping in a self-service establishment, that's funny
The bottom line is Lubys used to absorb the costs of paying the "more tea sir ladies" and now are shouldering it on the customers. I don't like to go there and feel guilty about not wanting to tip, when it's basically a self-service venue except for the iced tea/coffee service. The patrons tend to be elderly, loyal and like the cafeteria's food.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:38 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
There is some frozen yogurt chain near my office. I cannot recall the name. Its where you take the cup, pull the lever and pour the yogurt into the cup, put your own garnishings on it, and take it to a cashier and pay. And they have a tip cup there.
LOL Sounds like TCBY. I looooove their yogurt but yeah, now that they've gone to a do-it-yourself kind of system, I see no reason for that tip jar to even be there. I never put anything in it anyway, though, I just pretended it wasn't there.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 AM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
People who complain about tipping are usually Cheap People.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:46 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Personal remarks? I stated that you have a different system of tipping in the EU. Is that not correct?

Exaggerated competition? You mean free market capitalism? Right, such a horrible thing. People do not work for a wage they don't feel is high enough. Don't like it? Get a job elsewhere. It's quite liberating, actually. Besides which, with competition, wages increase to attract the best talent away from competitors...your point is therefore moot.

When I worked as a server years ago, I got paid $2.13/hour. I made like $10/hour in tips, so it was like getting paid $12.13/hour and the restaurant made more profit b/c it was not paying me that high of a wage, and they could use that profit to stay open and continue to serve customers. When I became a trainer and worked overnights, my wages jumped up and I made more in tips due to drunk people coming in and being liberal with their wallets.

Restaurants would go bankrupt if they paid wages like that, and I don't know any server who would work for minimum wage of $7.25/hour. That's how it is in the service industry, you give great service, you get a great tip. If you give average service, you get an average tip. It's incentive to do a great job and keep customers coming back. It's a win-win for the servers and the establishment.
I'm not sure you understand what you are talking about.

It doesn't really make any difference if the minimum wage is 2.13 or 7.25.

With the lower minimum wage the customer pays a higher tip. With the higher minimum wage the customer would pay less, or no, tip.

The total bill would be similar and the restaurant and employee would receive about the same amount of income.

Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM

50,262 posts, read 47,023,439 times
There are some businesses that are out of control with this. Here in San Diego we have a sport fishing fleet. They have what is considered a jackpot on the boats. Well, after entering it the first year I was on one I won. Right afterwards everyone is telling me it's customary to give the jackpot back to the crew. ? What? Then why enter it.

Then after the trip the said it was customary to tip 25% of your overall trip expense to the crew. What? I didn't use any services and the food was self serve with a tab sheet. They wanted 25% of what I spent on food and drinks? To give to the crew so the cheap owner wouldn't have to pay it?

I had a discussion with one of the crew and I mentioned to him that the owner of the boat was screwing the crew by not paying them a decent wage. He wasn't making min wage he said which I thought was illegal?

Anyway, if there needs to be any extra fee it should be forthright in writing and part of the price so no one gets hood winked.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:03 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I'm with you, azriverfan. This tipping thing has gotten out of control.
I say the same thing. This all started maybe ten years ago. You started seeing these "tip cups" appearing everywhere on counters. I just ignore them.

Old 12-13-2010, 11:06 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
People who complain about tipping are usually Cheap People.
Not necessarily. I tip about 20% at restaurants and I always give the pizza guy a good tip. Hey, you are bringing me my food while I get to sit on my azz or waiting on me--that deserves money! Rarely have I had a server in a restaurant who was so bad that I didn't want to leave them a tip at all. If they do something extra or seem especially professional, they get more.

But until a few years ago, you walked into deli or some similar store and bought what you needed and left. Now all of a sudden these tip cups started appearing everywhere. For what? For actually handing me what I came there to purchase?

Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,496,447 times
I agree with the OP, tipping is out of control. However, understand that tipping a "barista" in a cafe is generally accepted.

I tip great BTW, especially restaurants and cab drivers but I think tip cups are popping all over the place and people expect it too.

Next thing we know UPS and FedEx will want tips for delivering a package, don't forget that cashier at the grocery store will want a tip too..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies