U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-12-2010, 09:39 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,446,753 times
Reputation: 9920

Advertisements

This weekend, I noticed two ridiculous examples of pandering for tips. The Starbucks drive-thru had a tip container built into the cashier window. Okay, they already charge a ridiculous amount of money for coffee and they expect a tip on top of that? I paid $8 for two grande coffees and they want a tip too? What do they do that is any different than a Taco Bell worker? In fact, the Taco Bell worker does more work. The Starbucks worker simply pours some coffee into a cup, some non-fat milk and a pump of peppermint flavor from a plastic container and that warrants $1-2 in tips?

The second example is at Pappa Johns pizza. At Pappa John, they had a tip cup for people carrying out pizza. If you order delivery, you are required to pay a Delivery Charge and are expected to tip the Driver. So when I pick up pizza, I'm supposed to tip too now? Well helI, why don't I just tip the guy at Wendys who makes my burger while I'm at it or how about cashier at Wal-Mart for bagging my merchandise.

Tipping is ridiculous. When I went to pick up my pizza, I wrote a big fat zero with a line crossed through it indicating no tip and the cashier gave me a dirty look. Don't pander to these people by tipping them. I'm a great tipper when it is warranted (dining in a restaurant) but unnecessary tipping leads to more unnecessary tipping. For example at a hotel, you can end up broke tipping people (the person who opens your cab door, the person who takes your luggage to the room, the maids, and when you leave the hotel to venture into the city, you are supposed to tip the person who calls your cab and then the person who then opens your cab door. I understand tipping the bell hop who brings your luggage to the room but why do I need to tip someone for opening a cab door, I can do that on my own, I don't need to give you $2-$3 for doing that.

You should tip generously when it is warranted and when someone has gone out of their way to provide good service. But mindless tipping is unwarranted and sets a poor precedent. According to Judith Martin, the infamous "Miss Manners" and authority on etiquette, you are not expected to tip for picking up food because several costs are built into a food item. For example, restaurant food includes not only the price of the food itself but also the accoutrements involved with the restaurant such as the furniture, ambience (music, scene of the ocean etc) yet when carrying out food, you are not receiving any of those services yet are paying for it so it is not customary to tip in these cases.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 12-12-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-12-2010, 09:50 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,130,341 times
Reputation: 983
I agree with the sentiment that tipping is out of hand. If someone's pay is in part based on tips, yes, you should tip them. But if they are getting minimum wage or higher, they do not get a tip, in my eyes. If someone goes above and beyond, maybe they'll get a buck or two from me, however, I generally do not tip counter people.

Delivery drivers and servers definitely get tipped, 15% is standard, 10% for subpar service that was still acceptable, 20% for good service and then there have been a handful of times where I've left nothing due to a bad attitude coupled with screwing up the order. The thing about tipping zero is that you have to absolutely know it was the server's fault, not the kitchen's. Working in the restaurant industry, I know most screwups happen in the kitchen, but there are definitely times when the server messes up. I have also worked for delivery places and just an FYI, the delivery charge often is not given to the drivers. They get paid less than minimum wage, a small amount per delivery (think 50 cents) plus tips. They depend on those tips, just like servers do...except servers don't have the added issues of paying for gas, putting miles on their cars, going into unsafe areas or driving in unsafe conditions.

I generally tip 20% as a rule, unless the server or delivery driver was subpar, in which case I'll tip 15%. Work a day in the restaurant industry and you know how hard it can be. That's why I tip generously.

That being said, you don't have to shoot the messenger. If you want to make a big scene about not tipping, ask to speak to the manager about it. It's not the cashier's fault that there is a tip jar on the counter, nor is it their fault that there is a tip line on a credit card slip (these are usually the same receipts that print out for drivers to take to delivery customers). The dirty look was probably for your attitude, not the fact that you didn't tip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 09:54 AM
 
14,253 posts, read 15,332,749 times
Reputation: 13682
I used to frequent a Dunkin Donuts near where I lived in NY. I went through the drive thru most mornings on my way to work. It was a good bunch of kids that worked there. Very efficient and very friendly. During the year they had a no-tips policy. Only in the two weeks before Xmas did they have a tips jar. I would generally put a $20 bill in the jar to say thanks for a year of great service and, hopefully, so they could have a little something extra for the holiday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:09 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,446,753 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I agree with the sentiment that tipping is out of hand. If someone's pay is in part based on tips, yes, you should tip them. But if they are getting minimum wage or higher, they do not get a tip, in my eyes. If someone goes above and beyond, maybe they'll get a buck or two from me, however, I generally do not tip counter people.

Delivery drivers and servers definitely get tipped, 15% is standard, 10% for subpar service that was still acceptable, 20% for good service and then there have been a handful of times where I've left nothing due to a bad attitude coupled with screwing up the order. The thing about tipping zero is that you have to absolutely know it was the server's fault, not the kitchen's. Working in the restaurant industry, I know most screwups happen in the kitchen, but there are definitely times when the server messes up. I have also worked for delivery places and just an FYI, the delivery charge often is not given to the drivers. They get paid less than minimum wage, a small amount per delivery (think 50 cents) plus tips. They depend on those tips, just like servers do...except servers don't have the added issues of paying for gas, putting miles on their cars, going into unsafe areas or driving in unsafe conditions.

I generally tip 20% as a rule, unless the server or delivery driver was subpar, in which case I'll tip 15%. Work a day in the restaurant industry and you know how hard it can be. That's why I tip generously.

That being said, you don't have to shoot the messenger. If you want to make a big scene about not tipping, ask to speak to the manager about it. It's not the cashier's fault that there is a tip jar on the counter, nor is it their fault that there is a tip line on a credit card slip (these are usually the same receipts that print out for drivers to take to delivery customers). The dirty look was probably for your attitude, not the fact that you didn't tip.
You clearly need to improve your reading comprehension skills. I never claimed I made a scene. I simply didn't tip. Writing a zero with a line on the tip line is standard and is not making a scene. I also never blamed the cashiers or servers for these practices. I take it you are a current or former server and are fairly sensitive to criticism regarding the service industry and thus you didn't pay much attention to the details in my post and made several ASSumptions. My criticism is aimed at the establishments not any position in particular. Furthermore, the Starbucks employees are friendly and professional regardless if they receive a tip for making coffee which is probably why they receive tips. Perhaps you and the Papa John's employee could learn from that. I tip generously as well such as in restaurants and situations where it is warranted but I don't mindlessly tip. I think and tip when it is appropriate and deserved not because there is a tip jar present.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:13 AM
 
Location: On Top
12,388 posts, read 11,633,720 times
Reputation: 4027
If you think tipping is ridiculous don't tip...simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:17 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,446,753 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
If you think tipping is ridiculous don't tip...simple.
You have to love responses in which you can tell the respondent didn't read your post and only your subject line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: On Top
12,388 posts, read 11,633,720 times
Reputation: 4027
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You have to love responses in which you can tell the respondent didn't read your post and only your subject line.
I read your post and wouldn't change a word in mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Atlanta metro
5,645 posts, read 4,130,341 times
Reputation: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
You clearly need to improve your reading comprehension skills. I never claimed I made a scene. I simply didn't tip. Writing a zero with a line on the tip line is standard and is not making a scene. I also never blamed the cashiers or servers for these practices. I take it you are a current or former server and are fairly sensitive to criticism regarding the service industry and thus you didn't pay much attention to the details in my post and made several ASSumptions. My criticism is aimed at the establishments not any position in particular. Furthermore, the Starbucks employees are friendly and professional regardless if they receive a tip for making coffee which is probably why they receive tips. Perhaps you and the Papa John's employee could learn from that. I tip generously as well such as in restaurants and situations where it is warranted but I don't mindlessly tip. I think and tip when it is appropriate and deserved not because there is a tip jar present.
"When I went to pick up my pizza, I wrote a big fat zero with a line crossed through it indicating no tip and the cashier gave me a dirty look."

You are just backpedaling here, buddy, and being insulting at the same time. I paid complete attention to your post and I can read between the lines.

What are you talking about with saying me and the Papa John's employee could learn from that? Learn from what? I don't work for tips anymore, but thanks for the lesson (although I still have no clue what you're referring to...and when I did make tips, I always made more than enough to have a comfortable life so yeah...).

First you say the Starbucks people don't deserve a tip. Then you say while YOU don't tip them, they deserve a tip for being friendly and professional, which, mind you, is part of the job description. But Papa John's employees who make a weird face WHEN you flagrantly don't tip them is the reason you think they don't deserve a tip? You're talking in circles here and not making any sense.

Nobody said you have to tip b/c there's a tip jar present, either. Tips are to reward exceptional service in these situations, not b/c the people are being greedy. Oftentimes, it's not their decision to even put a tip jar out there.

How is it pandering? If someone works hard, that should be rewarded, but you don't need to be a jerk if they give you average service.

You are basically saying these people are the lowest of the low and don't deserve your respect, much less your money. Perhaps you should remember that everyone has to start somewhere, that cashier may become an owner one day. You being a jerk to them just makes their skin thicker and makes them all that much more determined to move up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:29 AM
 
Location: Northeast
1,377 posts, read 888,998 times
Reputation: 406
Yeah, it hurts so much to toss a quarter or two in a cup around the holidays. These workers are paid such high wages they should be tipping you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 10:33 AM
 
10,720 posts, read 17,446,753 times
Reputation: 9920
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Yeah, it hurts so much to toss a quarter or two in a cup around the holidays. These workers are paid such high wages they should be tipping you!
Right but let's not hand the guy at McDonalds an extra dollar because there is no tip jar out. It only makes sense to tip the Starbucks guy and the person at Papa Johns because they had a tip jar out. If they don't have one, then don't throw in an extra quarter! After all the Starbucks and Papa Johns employees work so much harder than the fast food employees, the WalMart cashiers etc. Brilliant argument!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top