U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 09:27 PM

2,047 posts, read 1,301,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.
If the death penalty was part of the law at the time,yes I would insist that the government fallow the law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 09:59 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,277,866 times
If it was murder where their crime was planned and thought out then I would say death penalty. To me it would be a terrible injustice to the murdered victim to allow their murderer to live. A life sentence in prison doesn't justify taking a life.

Old 12-13-2010, 02:55 AM

3,225 posts, read 6,126,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
It costs far more to execute someone than to keep them in prison for life, and our Constitution guarantees the rights of people accused of crimes (innocent until proven guilty). Also, the states WITHOUT the death penalty have much lower murder rates than those with capital punishment. Some studies have shown executions actually increase violent crime.
It costs more because of the lengthy appellate process. There is no reason that an inmate should sit on Death Row for 12 years or so, filing appeal after appeal after appeal after the sentence has been struck. There should be a limit on appeals.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:25 AM

Quote:
I'm really sorry. *hugs*

Still, you have to understand the people who did that to your friends are broken. They probably weren't treated with love and care growing up, or if they were, have some kind of mental defect. It's not normal to kill people, I don't believe it's just something people choose to do one day. Wanting them to suffer would accomplish nothing, it's not going to bring your friends back unfortunately, I wish it could though. Of course they should be kept apart from open society though.
NO EXCUSE. And there are plenty of "broken" people (whatever that means) who do not hurt/rape/murder/or otherwise terrorize innocent people because of their backgrounds and upbringing.

Old 12-13-2010, 03:28 AM

994 posts, read 1,414,490 times
Two wrongs don't make a right. The family member is dead. Killing someone won't bring them back. I am sure that other person has a family too somewhere. Would you really want to make them suffer for his/her wrongdoing?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Two wrongs don't make a right. The family member is dead. Killing someone won't bring them back. I am sure that other person has a family too somewhere. Would you really want to make them suffer for his/her wrongdoing?
How are you "sure" they have a family somewhere and if so, that the family cares? Not everyone has a family and not all families care about one another. And what does it matter? Do you feel that a murderer/rapist etc. should be forgiven or relieved of their crimes in order to not cause pain to their loved ones?

For those of you who feel this way-have you ever lost a loved one to violence? Have you ever been on the receiving end of a violent attack?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:17 AM

12,482 posts, read 8,514,496 times
Quote:
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.
It would be selfish of me to want the death penalty for my sake. too many people have been exonerated while on death row. The problem is once you use the death penalty you can not undo it if later new evidence exonerates the convict. State sponsored murder can nor be right at the start or at the end of life

Old 12-13-2010, 04:45 AM

11,961 posts, read 12,437,658 times
Quote:

Forgiveness is ideal but there are some lines a human being crosses that you can never come back from. Heinous beyond the pale. Charles Manson, John Wayne Gayce, Richard Ramirez, Richard Speck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i725FCBJIxA

I believe in these extremes the death penalty, or even death by cop, would actually be merciful because they're already dead. I already know many will disagree so I'll just let it go.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:07 AM

42,253 posts, read 49,796,479 times
Quote:

ABSOLUTELY.

If someone murdered my dog (we're talking about ON PURPOSE murder), I would demand the death penalty...or get homicidal myself.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:08 AM

42,253 posts, read 49,796,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by penguin_kernel View Post
Please tell me what the point of letting them live is? Especially if now, to add insult to injury, *I* have to pay for their internment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies