Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2010, 05:34 PM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Which is undoubtedly why this country has more of a problem with violent crime than many others.
We have a problem with violent crime because WE are a violent people. For example, just read all the posts in this thread......as well as the posts in threads about the poor and needy in this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Depends on the situation.

1) Accidental - then no, unless it was a DUI or sheer recklessness do I think they deserve the death penalty. but of course they don't give death penalties for that.

2) Non-accidental - in a rage - if they repented heavily I would consider forgiveness.

3) Premeditated, but not personal (i.e. political crossfire) - I might consider it a casualty of war.

4) Premeditated, personal - if the dead did not do anything to deserve it - I will do my best to end that person's life and if it does not happen, I will consider street justice on them and their family.

5) Premeditated, personal - if the dead did something to deserve it - Life imprisonment or a long term would suffice, and we will call it even.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 PM

565 posts, read 485,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
Which is undoubtedly why this country has more of a problem with violent crime than many others.
Talking about you, you seem to be extremely violent, just waiting for an excuse to act. Some of you posts are very disturbing.
You may well be a part of the problem.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:57 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the victim.

There's nothing admirable about forgiving everyone based on principles. That simply allows sociopaths to manipulate you by pretending to be sorry for the murder, when they are only sorry they got caught.

There are times when killing another person is justified. Those cases should never come to trial. But when someone kills someone else in a fit of rage or in premeditated fashion, that's different. Few people can cross that line, and when they do there is no going back.

If you want to be merciful, grant them the easiest death any of us can hope for: lethal injection. It's not justice, but at least it protects society from future harm from the same source.

Old 12-13-2010, 05:59 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,585,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrjam View Post
Talking about you, you seem to be extremely violent, just waiting for an excuse to act. Some of you posts are very disturbing.
You may well be a part of the problem.
Ahhh yes, because I applaud a father who defends his daughter from a predator, and because I feel in an instance of murder that justice should be meted out beyond a court system that will simply put the offender in a cage at taxpayer expense, that means I am an inherently violent indivi...BOO!

Maybe you're just excessively timid and scared

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,906,017 times
I would not. Life imprisonment would force the perp to spend more time regretting it. And death row inmates get better treatment and almost celebrity status by death penalty opponents. Anyone who killed a member of my family does not deserve that.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:30 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.

Tough one. I am of the belief that when God says it's our time, that's when we go. But perhaps the death penalty is what God wants for some. I am also of the opinion that punishing murder with murder is essentially condoning it.

That being said, I support the death penalty only for the most heinous of crimes, like the guys who tortured the Petit family and for the thugs who tortured Christian and Newsom. These are sick freaks who cannot be rehabilitated, they deserve the chair.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:58 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
There are two schools of thought on this.
[Okay, so there's more than two, actually, but hear this out.]

One view of having them incarcerated for life rather than executed: some supporters say a quick death is "too easy" for them, and they should be imprisoned for the rest of their life so that they can live with what they did wrong. The problem is...most of them don't care. The person they killed didn't mean anything to them then, and doesn't mean anything to them now. So they don't feel remorse for what they did...if they feel any remorse, it's over getting caught.

Additionally, I think that having free housing, access to education, entertainment, three hots and a cot, etc. is "too easy" of a life for them, and I'd rather see them executed than let them continue to live at government expense.

Ship them off to Devil's Island, or something like it, where they have to provide their own food, and actually WORK for the rest of their lives, if you're not going to execute them immediately. I'd rather see them executed than for them to have any sort of chance for parole.

Old 12-14-2010, 07:09 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Default Forgiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPwn View Post
Or would you forgive? Or would you not forgive but still want to spare their life and make them go to jail instead?

I've always been a total believer in forgiveness, I hate violence of all kinds, whether it's "justified" or not. Though I haven't had anyone close to me murdered, thank God, so I can't say for sure if I would forgive them. I hope I would though.
If someone murdered a member of my family, I would forgive them, right after I took my P345 (or my 6906), and drilled them right between the horns.

Old 12-14-2010, 10:22 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Depends on the situation.

1) Accidental - then no, unless it was a DUI or sheer recklessness do I think they deserve the death penalty. but of course they don't give death penalties for that.

2) Non-accidental - in a rage - if they repented heavily I would consider forgiveness.

3) Premeditated, but not personal (i.e. political crossfire) - I might consider it a casualty of war.

4) Premeditated, personal - if the dead did not do anything to deserve it - I will do my best to end that person's life and if it does not happen, I will consider street justice on them and their family.

5) Premeditated, personal - if the dead did something to deserve it - Life imprisonment or a long term would suffice, and we will call it even.
I totally agree with most of what you are saying except for the DUI, If the person has been picked up for DUI in the past, that is one thing, but if they have never had an arrest for drinking, I certainly would not want to see them get capital purnishment. By the way i would not consider any type of accident actually murder, but that is my opinion.

Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies