U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 04:46 PM

62,705 posts, read 27,957,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistorianDude View Post
And that happens all the time.

In my case, both my parents were born with dual citizenship before their own immigrant parents naturalized. Therefore, I too was a dual citizen at birth.

I even possess both passports.
The State Dept does not recommend dual citizenship.
Quote:
...dual nationals owe allegiance to both the United States and the foreign country.

The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause.
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

John Jay's letter to Washington is the origination of the 'natural born citizen' clause, the intent of which was to prevent those owing allegiance to foreign countries from serving as POTUS or CIC. The reason should be obvious, as the State Department notes: conflicting allegiances.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 05:06 PM

19,146 posts, read 9,116,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You have no naturalized U.S. citizen forebears? They all remained non-U.S. citizens?
i believe the progression is as follows:

all four grandparents have children in US before naturalization.
both parents are dual citizens and have no need for naturalization.
historian dude is born a dual citizen.

is he a NBC ?

Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 PM

19,216 posts, read 12,501,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post

both parents are dual citizens and have no need to naturalization.

is he a NBC ?
Well, I do believe he is, under the NBCR.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:15 PM

19,146 posts, read 9,116,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
(naturalization would have required them to renounce and abjure any foreign allegiance ever held).
but not all countries recognize a person taking the US oath as complete for renouncing citizenship. formal procedure is needed or the person remains a citizen of that country. ironically moldava is such a country. if orly taitz didn't officially renounce her citizenship ( under moldava law ) then her sons were eligible to be moldavan citizens at birth.

Old 12-18-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post

both parents are dual citizens and have no need for naturalization.

is he a NBC ?
No, in the Constitutional eligibility sense, due to conflicting allegiances. Even the State Department says dual citizens "are required to obey the laws of both countries."
US State Department Services Dual Nationality

Definitely a problem for a POTUS and CIC.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:36 PM

85,059 posts, read 99,087,775 times
So what? Obama gave up his British citizenship a long time ago. His father was no longer a British citizen after 1964, when Obama was but three years old. Obama's parents had been divorced by then, and he (Obama) was not liviing with his father. There is no concern in the minds of most sane people that Obama has any allegiance to the Brits. If anything, his father was perhaps antagonistic to the Brits for occupying Kenya.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
So what? Obama gave up his British citizenship a long time ago. His father was no longer a British citizen after 1964, when Obama was but three years old. Obama's parents had been divorced by then, and he (Obama) was not liviing with his father. There is no concern in the minds of most sane people that Obama has any allegiance to the Brits. If anything, his father was perhaps antagonistic to the Brits for occupying Kenya.
None of that is the issue here.

Old 12-18-2010, 10:49 PM

85,059 posts, read 99,087,775 times
The issue brought up by a poster is some supposed allegience to Britain by Obama.

Old 12-18-2010, 11:16 PM

Quote:
The issue brought up by a poster is some supposed allegience to Britain by Obama.
My interest, and take, on the entire discussion is that of Rule of Law at a time when the Constitution is barely left alive.

I am very conservative when it comes to Rule of Law.

We either HAVE Rule of Law, or we don't.

There are many indications, other than the issue of the NBC Rule, that we DON'T.

We seem to have devolved to a Mexican Standard.

It is all corporate bribes and extortion - affecting all levels.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:15 AM

Quote:
So what? Obama gave up his British citizenship a long time ago.
Natural born citizen. Obama had multiple citizenships at birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies