U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 10:07 PM

12,411 posts, read 9,053,528 times
Default TV by Political Affiliation

You know how some polls are taken of people on both sides of the political spectrum?

Dexter and Mad Men are no.s 2 and 3 for Democrats to watch, but don't even appear on the Republican's top 15 list.
Any opinions as to why?

Are liberals sympathetic to Dexter's commonly shared humanity and more willing to overlook his bad habit?

Madison Ave, during the big AdMan days, seems aptly represented by Mad Men. THose ad men were 'the establishment'. I would think Republicans would like the series.

Anyway, here is the link, if you are interested:

Republicans Love 'Modern Family,' Democrats Favor 'Dexter,' New Study Shows
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 11:42 PM

25,255 posts, read 14,712,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
Are liberals sympathetic to Dexter's commonly shared humanity and more willing to overlook his bad habit?
Absolutely. Liberals and Democrats are more sympathetic and interested in learning about people who are troubled in life. Republicans have less interest in people like that - whether they're characters on a TV show or real people in real life.

Interesting that a program titled "Lie To Me" is popular with Republicans. Must be the title that attracts them.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:06 AM

14,359 posts, read 11,786,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

Interesting that a program titled "Lie To Me" is popular with Republicans. Must be the title that attracts them.
An ironic comment, since "Mad Men" is rife with lies about the era that it purports to depict. The only thing accurate about that show is the wardrobe.

Mendacious revisionism is the Democrat watchword. Thus they love Don Draper's deconstruction of daddy dear.

Don't get me wrong, though. This right-leaning independent loves "Mad Men", too. It's deliciously decadent. And Pete Campbell is so reminiscent of Ralph Reed that it's scary.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM

13,626 posts, read 5,135,624 times
Quote:
Absolutely. Liberals and Democrats are more sympathetic and interested in learning about people who are troubled in life. Republicans have less interest in people like that - whether they're characters on a TV show or real people in real life.

I guess since democrats are so sympathetic, that is why they, on the average, volunteer much less, donate less to charities, and are such lousy tippers.

In my experience, liberals are sympathetic verbally, but rarely back up that verbal sympathy with any action. Protesting and raising hell is fun, but work and real financial contributions are more difficult and usually avoided by libs.

PS- The last prime time tv show I watched was "All in the Family". Television really stinks and I am suprised at the number of people who still watch prime time television. Shock value has replaced clever writing and subtle humor as an enticement for viewing, which is probably why current programming is poor.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:40 AM

4,143 posts, read 1,479,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess since democrats are so sympathetic, that is why they, on the average, volunteer much less, donate less to charities, and are such lousy tippers.

In my experience, liberals are sympathetic verbally, but rarely back up that verbal sympathy with any action. Protesting and raising hell is fun, but work and real financial contributions are more difficult and usually avoided by libs.

PS- The last prime time tv show I watched was "All in the Family". Television really stinks and I am suprised at the number of people who still watch prime time television. Shock value has replaced clever writing and subtle humor as an enticement for viewing, which is probably why current programming is poor.

Well said!!

Libs like to 'talk the talk but never walk the walk.' They use their protesting efforts as an excuse not to work, i guess. It is far easier for them to shout for the government to take from someone whom actually works hard and give to them and their stupid entitlement programs. I guess they consider those 'talks' their contributions to charity. As usual, it is a wasted effort that ends up with nothing.

However, they will never admit and acknowledge the businesses and hard workers that actually DO contribute to charity and society as a whole in a positive, helpful way.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:14 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 1,158,186 times
Which side likes The Walking Dead?

Old 12-13-2010, 09:23 AM

15,527 posts, read 5,329,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
You know how some polls are taken of people on both sides of the political spectrum?

Dexter and Mad Men are no.s 2 and 3 for Democrats to watch, but don't even appear on the Republican's top 15 list.
Any opinions as to why?

Madison Ave, during the big AdMan days, seems aptly represented by Mad Men. THose ad men were 'the establishment'. I would think Republicans would like the series.

Anyway, here is the link, if you are interested:

Republicans Love 'Modern Family,' Democrats Favor 'Dexter,' New Study Shows

total bs

especially when painting with a broad brush of 'dems like' and 'repubs like'

i dont watch dexter or madmen, or modern family or beck or olberman or amazing race or american idol, or v or kortney or 901010, or big ben, or private practice.............the FIRST one on either list comes in at #6 the metalist

others from the list ncis and lie to me,, and law and order suv

funny how none of the CSI's were on the list

I watch all the csi's, both ncis', hawaii50, the defenders, bluebloods, psyce, burnnotice, whitecollar, warehouse13

so much for polls and 'studies'

Old 12-13-2010, 09:26 AM

15,527 posts, read 5,329,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
IPS- The last prime time tv show I watched was "All in the Family". Television really stinks and I am suprised at the number of people who still watch prime time television. Shock value has replaced clever writing and subtle humor as an enticement for viewing, which is probably why current programming is poor.

ah those were the days...all in the family followed by MASH........

Old 12-13-2010, 09:29 AM

19,220 posts, read 6,243,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
ah those were the days...all in the family followed by MASH........
Roseanne was pretty good.

Old 12-13-2010, 09:30 AM

2,805 posts, read 2,401,168 times
Quote:
Democrats believe that Freedom of speech is fine as long as nobody is offended by it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies